Hairyarse

Xenon confusion!

My E39 is 2002 and has the facelift, halo headlight units. On VIN decoder I have the option number 522 Xenon light.

The headlights aren't great and are quite yellow like halogens, I thought xenon's should be nice and bright and white, like on my last E39. 

The bulbs fitted are H7s which reading up I think is correct, but are these xenon bulbs?

IMG_0492_zpsm57qcwof.jpg

IMG_0493_zpsuqywh03f.jpg

These are the dip and main beam bulbs out of one unit.

Ultimately, I'm looking for brighter headlights, but just unsure if I've got the right bulbs fitted to start with? Also, I don't want to spend £80 odd on bulbs on a whim that they might get brighter.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated!! ;)

Yip

Standard H7

You can try the Osram Nightbreakers: http://www.amazon.co.uk/BREAKER-UNLIMITED-64210NBU-HCB-Halogen-Headlamp/dp/B00EPLCPRG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453486861&sr=8-2&keywords=phillips+h7+extreme+vision

Or the Philips Extreme Vision: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-12972XV-S2-X-tremeVision-Headlight/dp/B00NMEEV9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453486861&sr=8-1&keywords=phillips+h7+extreme+vision

I've just added OEM xenon ballasts to my facelift headlights, bought the D2S adapters and I'm using the Osram D2S 5k xenon bulbs, the difference is amazing!

My MOT guy is someone I've known for years and he set them up for me as the adjusters were a bit off, but you can soon swap them back to the standard H7 bulbs in about 60 seconds :)

Guessing someone swapped them over to halogens at some point, git!

But as you have projector headlamps I'd get an aftermarket H7 HID kit fitted

I wouldn't get an aftermarket H7 kit.

I tried 3 and all were crap and a pain in the arse to fit...

OEM ballasts, D2S adapters and decent D2S xenon bulbs are plug and play and easy to source!

Yip

Standard H7

You can try the Osram Nightbreakers: http://www.amazon.co.uk/BREAKER-UNLIMITED-64210NBU-HCB-Halogen-Headlamp/dp/B00EPLCPRG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453486861&sr=8-2&keywords=phillips+h7+extreme+vision

Or the Philips Extreme Vision: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-12972XV-S2-X-tremeVision-Headlight/dp/B00NMEEV9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453486861&sr=8-1&keywords=phillips+h7+extreme+vision

I've just added OEM xenon ballasts to my facelift headlights, bought the D2S adapters and I'm using the Osram D2S 5k xenon bulbs, the difference is amazing!

My MOT guy is someone I've known for years and he set them up for me as the adjusters were a bit off, but you can soon swap them back to the standard H7 bulbs in about 60 seconds :)

+1 for the Osram nightbreakers - I have these as H7 full beam and also the Xenarc DS2 Xenons - the difference is night and day (pun intended)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OSRAM-NIGHT-BREAKER-UNLIMITED-BULBS-UPGRADE-FROM-PLUS-SALE-110-EXTRA-/161140101475?var=&hash=item2584b2d163:m:mxjcXK1mxlgD2e-J_wtdc5Q

Edited by Dotcom1970

Thanks for all the feedback chaps, that's really helpful ;)

Why would someone get rid of the xenons for plain old bulbs, makes no sense to me!!

Am I likely to have any connector issues if I go back?

As well as HID for dip it's worth putting better bulbs in the mains such as the Philips or Osram ones mentioned above. Mains aren't h7 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could I ask, I need a new headlight (broken glass) and my current is halogen. Ive been offered a xenon headlight, will my halogen bulb holders just fit right in?

Re connectors, no. It's all plug n play IIRC

As for the bulbs, both the dipped beam and main beam are the same H7 bulb in the standard halogen headlights, just different holders IIRC

He's asking to fit a H7 halogen into a D2S xenon headlight...

The adapter you've linked is the other way round

I've ordered the Osram nightbreakers. I'll use these on dip beam until I sort out something to get xenons again. Then they can move over to the high beams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what I did...

Sourced my ballasts on eBay. £55 for both and both in good nick.

Just don't be tempted to get aftermarket ones IMO, simply not as good or as reliable!

Can someone who's carried out the H7 to D2S conversion please post pictures up showing how much light output your getting after doing this conversion.

I've currently got a 35w 6K HID kit from HIDS-Direct and i'm still disappointed by how much light they put out.

Edited by Jay_w

I wouldn't get an aftermarket H7 kit.

I tried 3 and all were crap and a pain in the arse to fit...

OEM ballasts, D2S adapters and decent D2S xenon bulbs are plug and play and easy to source!

So I've bought Depo Projector lamps for mine. Just so that I get this right, I can fit OEM ballasts, D2S adapters and D2S bulbs straight in? and the rest of the wiring is the same?

Not sure

I got the Depo headlights for my 2002 E39 and they didn't fit, wrong fitments for the bulbs etc. Turned out to be that they're aimed at the pre facelift cars!

Personally I'd stick to OEM and find a decent set of non damaged, adjuster-working halogen headlights (Hella) and fit all the bits to them, it's all plug n play then with no issues!

Not sure

I got the Depo headlights for my 2002 E39 and they didn't fit, wrong fitments for the bulbs etc. Turned out to be that they're aimed at the pre facelift cars!

Personally I'd stick to OEM and find a decent set of non damaged, adjuster-working halogen headlights (Hella) and fit all the bits to them, it's all plug n play then with no issues!

My 540i has the washer system for the front lights so I can only guess they are xenon? or projector? My car is a 99 though so not facelift but looking for the facelift look.

prefaclift headlamps are still projectors. But yes all the ballasts etc are plug and play into your existing wiring. Also just because you have headlamp wash, doesn't necessarily mean they are xenons? It could still have halogen lamps but the headlamp option was ticked when ordered although usually it is in conjunction with xenons. If you have no adjuster wheel next to your fog lights switch then you have have xenons.

I had headlight washers and non xenon headlights on my 01 530i tourer

As above either the adjuster switch or the back of the headlight is the only way to tell