D1CKY

Anyone ran a police car ? How was ownership ?

I had a County Durham 530i. Déjà vu on this btw, Clio sport?

Any way no issues mechanically other than age related, thermostat, alternator, bushing etc. It was a basic model though but that was no hardship given the price difference of a non force car IMO.

For all that's been said about poverty spec that reads like a pretty well equipped car, Alloys, Sat Nav, Leather heated seats etc.

Years ago when I was a kid my dad had a ex high pursuit vauxhall senator 3litre 24v manual car was mint and was a bit of a animal not sure what milage was cause was only about 8 or 10 but remember him having it a while and selling it on

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Fuck it.

After many good and bad replies about them.

I think I will get looking again and see what I can find.

Cheers peeps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago when I was a kid my dad had a ex high pursuit vauxhall senator 3litre 24v manual car was mint and was a bit of a animal not sure what milage was cause was only about 8 or 10 but remember him having it a while and selling it on

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

There was a guy that lived near my grandparents that had a white manual 24v Senator, I did wonder at the time if it was ex-police but anyway, I tried racing him once in my XR4i and he left me for dust up the local bypass, the '4i had had headwork and a cam so wasn't exactly slow either.

Dad had an ex police xr4x4 in the mid nineties. Had some redundant switch gear on the dash, and I thought it was the fastest thing in the world at the time.

That's just reminded of the XR4x4's I used to see Dyfed Powys Police using in Ceredigion in West Wales, I was told they found the cars so good they hung on to them for as long as they could and I can certainly remember seeing them still in service in the late nineties when even the latest Sierras would have been about 6 years old. I'll bet it wasn't a bad job chucking one around the lanes there!

The standard patrol cars Vauxhall, Ford, Hyundai are serviced as you would expect but are only cleaned once a week depending on force.

Started from cold and driven hard straight away sometimes. Likewise they can be sat for 10 hours with the engine idling away without moving.

The decent stuff, Audi, BMW etc are cleaned several times a day, serviced as you would expect and treated like babies compared to the standard cars. The put the miles in and sometimes at high speed. They can also be left idling for a while or started cold and driven hard. Tyres are changed way before they are needed and swapped out for winter/summer. Any issues or faults are reported ASAP and fixed ASAP.

Some 140k mile cars still in service and run like new so they do get looked after.

It's pot luck like buying any used car I guess but good discounts on the decent stuff.