urquattro

Dubia sky scraper fire.

Huge blaze up the structure, looks like a huge roman candle, coincidence re the big fireworks display there in a few hours.

hope they got every one at all levels out, it looks like an inferno now.

Hi,

My bro, sis in law and little 18 month old nephew are in Dubai visiting sis in law's Bro who lives there. My best friend also lives there too. 

Whatsapp for most of Europe has been offline as well..

Just heard about 30 mins ago everyone is safe and weren't around that area at the time, although they all live relatively nearby..

Questions will be asked as to how this building went up in flames so quickly, for so long and why there was panic during the evacuation and no sprinkler system activation etc...

Cheers, Dennis.

Looks like somthing has gone west with the pyrotechnics, judging by how the whole building has pretty much gone up!

Similar happened in Beijing a few years back. A brand new hotel, the Maderin Oriental, went up in smoke due to a stray firework they think. It happened only weeks before the hotel was due to open it's doors for the first time. 

The fire was on the outside of the building wasn't it? And if it's on the outside, the sprinkler system won't really activate  because the system uses heat instead of smoke to activate, and this may also be why there was a delay of a fire alarm sounding as the wind could have initially blown the smoke away from the hotel.

I can imagine it must have been scary though, especially if you are in one of the top floors and look out the window to see a flame that is a couple of stories tall. Probably one of my worse nightmares, being trapped near the top of a burning building.

The problem is here that they didn't insist on fire retardant material for the facade, but I think the law has been changed

Following lots of recent fires started the same way.

Fire prevention / detection systems inside these tall buildings are actually very good and to a very high specification- civil defense regulations on fire fighting / fire prevention systems are extremely stringent- they just don't help fight or detect fires which start on the outside!

The issue is that PVC facade fitted to all of these "older" towers burns so easily, fanned by the wind, the flames spread up and down the outside of the buildings easily- looks bad from the outside, inside it could be minor damage only.

This was another fire started on a balcony- by either a stray cigarette, Shisha coal or some numpty having a barbecue on their balcony IMO- although I think reports have said electrical fault.

There was a huge plume of smoke across Dubai- we live 25km from downtown and we could smell the burning plastic in the air- a trail of smoke covered much of Dubai downwind of the fire.

Seems like injuries were minor and mainly as a result of a chaotic evacuation rather than the fire.

There is a lot of flack for allowing the fireworks / celebrations to continue in the circumstances- but letting the fireworks off was probably safer than removing 1000's of live fireworks- so the show went on.

Edited by Robbo

As Robbo says, the external cladding sandwich is almost certainly the fire excellerant , all the news suggests old composites that burn well once ignited - stacks of the old high rise have this issue,

years ago in my UK structure time the panel fire risks were contained/controlled by building regs, seems strange that this lot was erected with lightweight flammable panels over such large external areas. Just a thought though and did pass through Dubai a few times before mega city status.