Bayerische

16,000 mile E34 M5 3.6

I have owned this car just over 5 years. It is a 1990 E34 M5 3.6 in Alpine White II with Anthracite M cloth and Nappa leather bolsters. The car was built at BMW's Garching Motorsport facility in July 1990. It is one of only 524 RHD 3.6 E34 M5's.

All E34 M5's are special, but what makes this car even more special is that it has only covered 16,000 miles from new. As far as I know it is the lowest mileage RHD E34 M5 left in existence. The BMW Car Club do not know of a lower mileage car, nor do I.

I happened upon this car almost by chance. I had seen the car advertised in a classic car website but didn't think much of it. There was just one small photo and a poor description of the car, besides, I wasn't really looking for a white M5. About 4 weeks after first seeing the ad, I happened to be in London working. I had a day off work and a rental car at my disposal, so I decided that I would drive the one and a half hours to see the car, just to kill some time.

When I arrived at the address, the owner met me and brought me in to a private car storage facility. He told me that I was the first person to view the car. When he pulled the dust cover off the car, I was literally speechless. I had never seen an E34 M5 like it. It was obvious that the car had rarely been outside, as nothing had been affected by UV light. All plastics, fabric, leather, glass and paint were totally unfaded and factory fresh. The only non standard item on the car was a set of M Tech II "Throwing star" wheel covers. The owner explained that he switched them over from the M Tech I" Turbines" in the early nineties, as he didn't like the look of the Turbines. He thought it made the car look as if it had whitewall tyres. The only blemish that I could find on the car was a couple of minute stone chips. All of the panels had original paint.

When I was looking through the car, I found a pair of period M power sunglasses in the rear centre storage compartment. The owner said that he had never seen them before, they had sat in the storage compartment undiscovered for twenty years!!

I quickly made a deal to buy the car and picked it up a few weeks later after it had been given a check over and an inspection II service which included a valve clearance shimming.

Since buying the car, the only thing that I have done to it is put her back on her original M Tech I Turbine wheel covers. An expensive exercise at just over €1000 for a set of four. The inner fins which sit behind the silver magnesium cover had to be sourced second hand as they are NLA from BMW (Many thanks to David Olias)

I displayed the car at Gaydon in 2010, as the E34 M5 was the featured marque of the festival that year. It turns out that she is a sleeper, no one in the club or the BMW community knew of the cars existence. She sat quietly in her owners garage for 20 years being used sparingly.

The car drives and smells like new, it is a true time warp experience.

For clarification, as some readers are mistaking this post as a sales ad, this is not a sales ad. The car is not for sale. I just wanted to share the car with fellow enthusiasts.

As more and more E34 M5's are now being restored, this car is a perfect example of how they left the factory and a good template for anyone wanting to tackle a future restoration. The car is 100% 1990 supplying dealer accurate.

Enjoy.

post-36556-0-91915900-1451488036_thumb.j

post-36556-0-45029100-1451488163_thumb.j

post-36556-0-29252100-1451488279_thumb.j

post-36556-0-45485700-1451488410_thumb.j

post-36556-0-20979900-1451488486_thumb.j

post-36556-0-45844200-1451488543_thumb.j

post-36556-0-46143000-1451488618_thumb.j

post-36556-0-18981200-1451488705_thumb.j

post-36556-0-92852500-1451488790_thumb.j

post-36556-0-48601200-1451488853_thumb.j

post-36556-0-84377100-1451488921_thumb.j

post-36556-0-36359000-1451489017_thumb.j

post-36556-0-50945600-1451489068_thumb.j

Edited by Bayerische

I read that the same way... Was expecting a price at the end, what an amazing find!

She is stunning

Thanks for the kind words. It really is an unrepeatable special car.

Sorry for the confusion folks, I have amended the post to clarify that it is not a sales ad.

Bloody hell, that is stunning. 

If the two were up for sale, regardless of price. I personally think that this car would be a better buy than the one floating round a few years ago with <100km on it, I think it was 56k Euro?

That car would need everything replacing, having been laid up for years with zero use. This one on the other hand would be in far better health.

You are one very, very lucky man!

Thanks for the kind words folks, it really has to be seen in the flesh to appreciate how lovely the car is.

Needs some coilovers to get the drop looking right. Get some staggered Rondells for it too!

Not sure if you are being serious or not, but I think it would be absolute sacrilege to put after market parts on this car. There are so few unmolested E34 M5's left in existence, it is extremely rare for an E34 M5 to have survived completely untouched, while the car is in my ownership, it will only ever be kept standard spec using OEM parts. This car still has the rear SLS suspension that has been deleted on most E34 3.6 M5's.

Stunning :)

I would love to see this in flesh and maybe have a passenger ride in it :) see how it feels compared to a well used example.

You planning on attending any shows next year?

I am based in Ireland, so it is a hike for me to get over to Gaydon (for example), but I have made the trip before so never say never.

What a find... :cool:

How many miles have you covered in the five years of ownership?

C.

Just shy of 2000 miles. It has been on a few road trips. It was used for a fellow petrol heads wedding!! That was a 300 mile round trip.

If the two were up for sale, regardless of price. I personally think that this car would be a better buy than the one floating round a few years ago with <100km on it, I think it was 56k Euro?

That car would need everything replacing, having been laid up for years with zero use. This one on the other hand would be in far better health.

You are one very, very lucky man!

Thanks, this car is fully sorted and gets exercised fairly regularly where everything is brought up to operating temperature to keep in top condition, they don't like sitting idle for too long, but having said that, it starts first time every time and I have had no problems with it so far (fingers crossed).

I know the German car you are talking about. It has never driven, I imagine it would need thousands spent on a recomissioning.

she'll drive real tight i bet, tighter than my 140k M5! 

It drives and still smells like a new M5.

Edited by Bayerische

Since buying the car, the only original part that was not on the car (apart from the turbine wheel covers) was the front engine under tray. It was probably taken off by a mechanic during a service and never put back on.

BMW say that it is available new but each time I ordered it, the rear under tray would always arrive.

Recently, I tried one more time to order the tray, this time from a dealer in France, 4th time lucky the correct part turned up. It is NOS new old stock complete with 25 years of German dust!!

95% of people would not even notice that this part was missing from the car, but I wanted to have it correct in every detail.

post-36556-0-61411800-1451767901_thumb.j

Edited by Bayerische