supertramp101

hard drive sizes

Connect how?

Using a KCA-620m, about 1Gb is all you can reliably navigate.

Using a KCA-420i, the 128Gb iPhone 6 will work, with the relevant adapters. I have an iPod mini that I replaced the standard 6Gb micro drive with a 32Gb Compact Flash card, works fine, not sure if you could go bigger, 32Gb was pretty expensive when I did it.

thanks richard   for the reply

how ?

iam still working on the best way but have plenty of computer bits and cables laying around including an internal cold swap 2.5in hard drive caddy 

but probley easer and cheaper to connect 128 gig stick or card via a usb  card reader  this is assuming i can connect via usb  or should i just buy

i pod  all iam looking to do is have  something perment and hid away  and only removed to change the music on the media

or iam i out of the park with this  :idea:  :razz:

The Alpine USB interface, which is the only way to connect USB to the Intravee is total crap. Unless you are a masochist with a small audio collection, use an iPod!

thanks richard  will do  which i pod is the most compatable ?  i take i can load it up and tuck it away someware i think i read someware only some will charge from the lead is this correct?

I had a 30GB iPod 5th gen that lived in the boot hidden away, that is a LOT of music, worked perfectly with the Intravee, older ones are better for leaving in the car and no charging issues

The 'best' iPod to use is the Gen 5.5 Video 30 or 80Gb, the next best is the Gen 5 Video, next the Classic (Gen 6).

The Gen 5 and 5.5 have the black or white flat plastic front with colour display. The 80Gb Gen 5.5 can be upgraded to 240Gb by swapping the hard drive.

The Classic has a bug that means once in a while it will lock up when you stop playing, it does this with all iPod interfaces I've seen, including the BMW USB interface in my M6.

The Gen 5/5.5 uses hibernation so tracks start playing where you left off even after weeks, it will charge from 12V so you don't need a charge converter and they support compilations so you can filter out artists from compilation albums from the Artist search. The are also pretty rock solid software wise.

right thanks all i  think now  have a  picture of what i want to do now  storage wise, 

looks like the 5 or  5.5 is the one to go for  as i want to fit and forget it  think 80g will be plenty of storage

st101

I've just fitted a 32gb ssd zif drive to my spare (clicky hdd) 30gb Gen5.5 and it work perfectly if thats any help, the 32gb ssd was £28 delivered.

This one.

32gb = £28 posted

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181186447463?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

But the others available.

64gb = £40 posted

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8-ZIF-CE-SSD-64GB-for-MacBook-Air-1st-Rev-A1237-DELL-D420-D430-HP-Mini-1000-/181173927664?hash=item2a2ecebef0:g:l4oAAOSwrklVbDEf

128gb = £50 posted

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181186447463?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It came in a couple of days and fits perfectly. its the exact same size as the normal hdd and you just swap over the plastic/rubber mounting and thats it.

You need to then power up and connect to iTunes and then hit the restore button and Job done.

Using it in the car last night and its just the same (but now without the clicky hdd, lol). playlist/artist/album search does not seem any quicker, but thats probably a kca limitation, using the scroll wheel does feel a little snappier though, I did note that the song starts from new playlist select seems quicker, it pretty much starts playing instantly. (that could be placebo though).

I know I should probably have bought a larger one...lol

Edited by ccfj1

I find mine doing odd things. It'll skip tracks or start a track a few seconds in? Anyone had that?

Nope, never had any issues with my 30GB iPod, I really miss the Intravee, wish there was something like it for my E90

Could be the HDD playing up?

I find mine doing odd things. It'll skip tracks or start a track a few seconds in? Anyone had that?

Could well be the HDD crapping out, unless the iPod is totally dead, the mechanical HDD is the most likely component to cause issues.

Could well be the HDD crapping out, unless the iPod is totally dead, the mechanical HDD is the most likely component to cause issues.

Plays OK when I am just using it as an ipod with headphones

Dodgy dock connector.  Tried to update from my laptop tonight and it would just keep disconnecting.  It got launched.

So I think I am going to get a 5th gen 30gb and then if needs be upgrade the HDD.

The iPod Classic (or 6th Gen iPod) is ok, but the software is not as stable as the 5.5 Gen Video.  This is not just a KCA-420i or Intravee thing, I have a Classic in my M6 and it just locks up from time to time, the only fix is to unplug it and re-boot it.