Chi

Anyone in hampshire who can help me fit a Propshaft Coupling

Need to get this done in the next 12 months. its not urgent but I want to get it done but I want to learn how to do it myself but it seems a bit involved so would like some help.

Cheers again guys.

Surly if it's showing signs of needing attention, it needs doing sooner than 12 months?!?

If you're willing to travel up to Guildford I can get it on my ramp and do it, it's not a 2 man job by any means but you're welcome to help or I can provide the tools and advise so you can do it yourself, it's a simple job that shouldn't take long..

Are you guys referring to the prop donut or the centre bearing?

I'll do a Donut change for £25, can't see it taking long than half hour..

It takes minimum 2 hrs - you have to drop the whole exhaust system on a 530d from the back of the downpipe, remheat shields and remove the prop in it's entirety.

Usually the exhaust brackets and downpipe bolts are rusted beyond usable service so need replacing.

Indeed I needed a vice also but the second time it was easier to do and just about did it with out taking the prop off the diff end. Had some one stand on the brakes while I undone then centre bolt. Don't forget to mark the shaft so it goes back together the same way round or may vibrate where it's no longer balanced.

I have a mechanic 1 road away from where I live and he is known as abit of a cowboy. Bumped into him earlier and asked him if he had ever changed the guibo and csb? His answer was that the only time these parts cause noise is when driving over 120mph! And if I get and noise from under the car it's definitely the diff which he can fix for £780 but can do it for £480 for me. I felt sorry for the people who have had to use him, he lived up to his reputation!

Edited by BigMo

Yeah totally agree, centre bearing is a couple of hours. I only charge £45 per hour(unless I get wet, then the price goes up) and no vat so pretty reasonable compared to most.

Certainly no cowboy, my OCD won't allow it..lol

Also, I refuse to fit eBay parts whether it's a nice BMW or a ropey old drift car, so if you'd like me to do it, either get genuine parts or decent quality aftermarket from GSF or somewhere good..

That sounds very reasonable to me, half the battle is finding someone who will do an honest job and only do what really needs doing.

Mo

Hi drift that's a very kind offer. As for replacing its been decated recently so will that make any difference on bolts?