Saint

Anti-virus/pc security

Any advice....

I go for a paid one as not only do I visit a lot of sites that the Mrs doesn't know about  :ph34r: , work pays for it. 

Just got rid of McAfee which I find intrusive and bloaty, and about to come to the end of the trial period for Bitdefender. I am happy with it. Very unobtrusive, almost to the point that it is so unobtrusive that I question whether it is doing it's job!! About to take the plunge and shell out for it, but just thought might get others' opinion. 

Bitdefender Total Security currently £20 for 3PCs for a year. 

I have Macafee on the company laptop, but use AVG Free on both our personal ones. It's a bit of a faff as it does a system check every time you boot up, but at least that way I know it's running and you can cancel a scan at any time if it's slowing things up.

Get a Mac; lifes just so much easier then ;)

I know that Mac's 'can' suffer with malware, but it's far & few between compared to MS PC's!

Another vote for Avast. Also if you can run chrome, use something called AdBlocker. Brilliant "free" investment.

Spybot is more for malware, spyware, root-kit search/repair which works well but isn't used as a standalone antivirus.

Avast

AVG

Sophos (more for businesses but we like it here)

McAfee used to be good, non intrusive etc. but they have gotten too big for their boots and started unnecessarily slowing computers down.

Norton - DONT TOUCH IT - unless you want to get a new computer and need an excuse. It slows machines down to a crawl, is expensive and when you want to remove it, it leaves shit behind.

Jam

I've removes McAfee for people as it slows down a lot of PCs and its a paid-for program.

I use Avast or AVG Free for anti virus,  Malwarebytes, Ccleaner, Spybot and, JRT (junk removal tool every now and again).

Used AVG Free for 10+ years and never had any problems. Have found that some others (e.g. Norton) too intrusive and nannying. Since doing a clean install of Windows 10 I'm running Windows Defender to see how that goes but any problems I'll be back to AVG.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

OK ....

I've looked around, taken on advice here etc and think that I might stick with what I have. Bitdefender paid for (as it seems very light) and the free ccCleaner and Malwarebytes that I run every now and then. Malwarebytes seems to flash up that a free anti-exploit also runs each time I open a browser. 

Maybe if I wanted to cover myself properly, I would have a paid for Bitdefender as well as the paid for Malwarebytes, although not sure if they would clash. 

malwarebytes is not anti-virus, it's for malware, different things.  I would agree not to run two anti-virus apps together though.  Windows defender doesn't tend to do too well in tests I've read so I'd read up a bit and find one of the better free ones, such as Avast.  Win Def is better than nothing but not great is what I'm saying.

Norton - DONT TOUCH IT - unless you want to get a new computer and need an excuse. It slows machines down to a crawl, is expensive and when you want to remove it, it leaves shit behind.

Jam

I've often heard bad things about Norton but had it on my W7 PC for a couple of years and not had any particular issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use...

Malware bytes

Windows security

No issues what so ever...

But I can be a nerd due to past background.

Still think Macs are for strange people who wear yellow socks and v necks with a minimum of an msc..

I use...

Malware bytes

Windows security

No issues what so ever...

But I can be a nerd due to past background.

Still think Macs are for strange people who wear yellow socks and v necks with a minimum of an msc..

Ha ha! A bit like Unix people who wear their underpants over their trousers then?

Ha ha! A bit like Unix people who wear their underpants over their trousers then?