We’ve all been there. 
next is to remove the panel on the door, one screw, and pour water over the window. You will see the water dripping past the seal. A new roll of sealant will cure that. The rest of the sealant I put around the grommet for extra safety. 

It's really important to read everything in this thread, the cover needs an escape route for the water, the valve above the wheel arch can get stuck and a whole load of other things that are worth just reviewing fully

Ive just had it apart and changed the yellow grommit this time, also drilled a slighty bigger hole in the cover, next thing will be to take the wheel off and check under the wheel arch

14 hours ago, ASTON 82 said:

Ive just had it apart and changed the yellow grommit this time, also drilled a slighty bigger hole in the cover, next thing will be to take the wheel off and check under the wheel arch

If your rear carpet are getting it can be your both rear door vapor seal ...

To do this remove door panel and reseal with using mastic 

Hope this helps 

1 hour ago, paz5432 said:

If your rear carpet are getting it can be your both rear door vapor seal ...

To do this remove door panel and reseal with using mastic 

Hope this helps 

Thank you but at the moment its comcentrated only in the front footwell, (pic attached). Ive changed the grommet and poured loads of water over the windscreen yesterday and it kept dry, real test will be hours of rain i imagine, the water seemed to fly out of both wheel arches, which tells me there's no blockage there.

20200728_073601.jpg

I haven't got a sunroof, i dont think its the screen as i really did give it a good walloping yesterday and nothing came in. I drilled a 8mm hole in the cover over the yellow grommit on my last attempt, as an extra precaution and it still found its way in even parking nose down as i do. I will have to wait and see the new grommet works if not will have to take wheel arch covering off

Hi all,

I've posted before but unfortunately haven't found a proper solution yet, but I've narrowed down the source of my leak to somewhere on the left front bottom of the interior. I have a LHD car so there is no yellow grommet. l saw a small stream of water dripping from the insulation foam left of my pedals, as shown on the picture attached. 

Anyone has any idea what might be causing the leak? Is this maybe due to a leak in the windscreen seal? Any help is much appreciated!

Knipsel.PNG

45 minutes ago, Kwame said:

Hi all,

I've posted before but unfortunately haven't found a proper solution yet, but I've narrowed down the source of my leak to somewhere on the left front bottom of the interior. I have a LHD car so there is no yellow grommet. l saw a small stream of water dripping from the insulation foam left of my pedals, as shown on the picture attached. 

Anyone has any idea what might be causing the leak? Is this maybe due to a leak in the windscreen seal? Any help is much appreciated!

This thread is all about RHD cars so there won't be much support for your LHD vehicle. Has the windscreen been replaced? You will need to get in the car and pull the carpet back and get someone to hose the outside of the car while you look for water ingress.

Yep, I do understand this is (mostly) about RHD cars, but pretty much everything I find online leads me back to here and there seems to be such a vast amount of knowledge. 

I've been in touch with the seller of the car and to their knowledge they never replaced the windscreen. I do have an appointment booked to have it checked and possibly replaced. Hope that fixes everything.

1 hour ago, Kwame said:

Yep, I do understand this is (mostly) about RHD cars, but pretty much everything I find online leads me back to here and there seems to be such a vast amount of knowledge. 

I've been in touch with the seller of the car and to their knowledge they never replaced the windscreen. I do have an appointment booked to have it checked and possibly replaced. Hope that fixes everything.

I seriously doubt this is windscreen related. You need to pull the carpet back and diagnose this first. 

I did pull back the carpet and noticed the water dripping from behind the insulation on the marked location, but is some sort of module with a lot of cables attached blocking me from completely removing the foam. The water did seem to come from somewhere relatively high, at least higher than the hole for the steering wheel column and brake system. 

Any ideas what could cause this besides a windscreen leak?

Just now, Kwame said:

I did pull back the carpet and noticed the water dripping from behind the insulation on the marked location, but is some sort of module with a lot of cables attached blocking me from completely removing the foam. The water did seem to come from somewhere relatively high, at least higher than the hole for the steering wheel column and brake system. 

Any ideas what could cause this besides a windscreen leak?

Are the hinge well drain points for the bonnet clear? I'd be removing the wheel arch liner on that side and clear out all water egress points.

I think I might've actually found the leak. It looks like water comes in through seal that sits around the cable used to unlock the bonnet. Anyone ever seen this before?

On 20/07/2020 at 16:05, ASTON 82 said:

So im half way through the job, cover came off ok, alot of debris and tide line on grommet,  problem i have is the grommet will just not come out its so tight, any tips?

This is how I did it all from the engine compartment.  It does take a bit of effort to get the grommet out.  I was glad I changed mine as it was definitely deteriorating. 

A pick tool and brute force* to get it out.

I had stripped out as much of the footwell as I was going to and saw the top most clip of the grommet.  The carpet underlay/sound deadening is fixed securely by more trim or equipment and I didn't want to pull anymore of it out so went in via the engine bay.

*my go to tool before breaking out the hammers, which wouldn't have fitted in this situation :lol:

After the heavy rain last night footwell got a puddle in it, even after changing the grommit,  think it may be time to get the wheel arch liner off. So frustrating 

1 hour ago, ASTON 82 said:

After the heavy rain last night footwell got a puddle in it, even after changing the grommit,  think it may be time to get the wheel arch liner off. So frustrating 

The grommet is not meant to stop a water getting into the car if there is flood of water in the plenum between the acoustic cover and the firewall. Water should not be in that location long enough to breach the gasket of the grommet and should be free flowing out aver the wheel arch liner. People seems to think the grommet is the be all and end all but its not and was never meant to be something like an IP67 seal stopping water ingress. Sure, it is located in a badly designed water channel away from the windscreen scuttle but the focus should be on clearing the path for water to evacuate as quickly as possible from that plenum.

5 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The grommet is not meant to stop a water getting into the car if there is flood of water in the plenum between the acoustic cover and the firewall. Water should not be in that location long enough to breach the gasket of the grommet and should be free flowing out aver the wheel arch liner. People seems to think the grommet is the be all and end all but its not and was never meant to be something like an IP67 seal stopping water ingress. Sure, it is located in a badly designed water channel away from the windscreen scuttle but the focus should be on clearing the path for water to evacuate as quickly as possible from that plenum.

Ok i think next job is to investigate under wheel arches. Thanks

Car has gone into the garage, water entering fuse area, and puddling in footwell the grommit problem has been eliminated,  so god knows where this is coming from. very disappointing 

20200817_145253.jpg

20200819_120539.jpg

3 hours ago, ASTON 82 said:

Car has gone into the garage, water entering fuse area, and puddling in footwell the grommit problem has been eliminated,  so god knows where this is coming from. very disappointing 

As mentioned, Fan housing has a direct entry to the car, not heard of one allowing water ingress previously but you may be the first. 

I had the exact same issue. BMW took it as the car under warranty, and it turned out to be the air conditioning unit at the front bulk head, behind the dash, was the cause.

The water travels along the base of the car and pools in the rear passenger foot-well..

Nightmare feeling when I realised there was over an inch of water in the back of my car !!!

Every time I hoover it now, I check

BM replaced all the carpets for me, under warranty also

Help water in the Boot battery compartment. clean water. can not find the source ? 520d 2014 

Edited by 535i Andrew
Edited to remove quote from no longer active user and tidy up post.

On 03/09/2020 at 09:22, Piero said:

Help water in the Boot battery compartment. clean water. can not find the source ? 520d 2014 

Unlikely to be from the yellow grommet.

Answered in this post.

My leak has been solved thankfully, A very poorly fitted windscreen prior to me having the car was the issue. The bond was missing in the bottom left hand corner, and thats where water was entering, Thankfully all dry now.