15 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

Silly question. Why is @AshM here giving pics of a yellow grommet on the right side of a RHD then? 

He doesn’t AshM’s car is a right hand drive  with the grommet on the left hand side.

References to Right and Left are when sat in the drivers seat. 

16 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

Andrew and Matthew will confirm for sure, but, here it is from my perspective. A LHD car will still have a yellow grommet. The grommet covers the hole where the steering shaft will come through the bulkhead, but on the opposite side where there is no shaft.

On a RHD car, the yellow grommet is in an area where there are water drains coming down from the windscreen area of the car. They then drain behind the black cover, past the grommet and out to the floor.

When there is a LHD car, the grommet is still there, but, due to the design of the car, there are no water drains, or, there are different circumstances to the point where the grommet does not get the exposure to the level of water and the propensity for it to block and backup past the grommet. Hope that makes sense. Take a look at realoem and swap from LHD to RHD and see.............

Dave, there is no Yellow Grommet on LHD cars. The bulkhead pressing is such that there's no great big hole on LHDs.

Hi everyone

Just thought I'd register on the forum to say 'thanks' to everyone who identified this problem and posted such detailed and helpful instructions on how to fix it. You're awesome!

I have a late 2010 530d which lives outdoors, and yesterday morning I noticed an ominous sloshing sound inside the car. Sure enough the rear passenger side footwell was soaking.

Actually, "soaking" doesn't really do it justice. It was a good 15 minutes before my drill powered pump and hose was no longer able to suck any more water out, and a while longer with a towel before I was no longer able to provoke little jets of water from the hole where the rear floor mat velcro attaches. If there's a fish or two still down there I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Fortunately, it turned out to just about be possible to fit a 5 series in my garage amongst all the clutter, so I was able to bring the car indoors, open the windows, and leave a dehumidifier aimed at the rear footwell overnight. There was a decent bucketful of water to dispose of this morning, though I've no idea how much of it actually came out of the car - but at least the top surface of the carpet was dry this morning, and that's definite progress.

I took the cover off and found a surprisingly modest amount of crud considering how much water had built up. My car does have the little white drain tube fitted and it did seem clear, so maybe that's how it's managed to survive this long before resembling a submarine with an open window?

Anyway, I cleaned it out and modifed the cover with a dremel to improve drainage. The foam seal was soaking wet.

I also ran a bead of sealant around the edge of the grommet. I'm a fan of this stuff - sticks to anything even when wet, surprisingly easy to handle, and dries to a flexible, watertight bond:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-the-works-sealant-adhesive-clear-290ml/92565

While I was in the mood (all things being relative, of course!) I also took the opportunity to vacuum out all the leaves and other debris I could find under the bonnet. A Henry vacuum with a short length of garden hose attached with duct tape did a pretty good job, though I can't pretend it was a fun way to spend an hour, and I don't think I've ever owned another car with as many inaccessible little crevices for debris to settle in.

Putting the cover back on was surprisingly easy given the horror stories I've read, just start by lining up the plug on the side facing the wing, push that into place, then insert each fastener in turn and screw in just a few threads so it doesn't fall out. Once all four are in, go round and tighten them. I was expecting this part to be difficult, but it actually took me longer to get the cover off in the first place than to put it back on again.

The car will live in the garage with the dehumidifier on for the next few days - hopefully that'll dry it enough that it doesn't need half the interior taking apart to wring it out.

Grommet-after.jpg

Grommet-sealed.jpg

Cover-modified.jpg

Grommet-before.jpg

Nice write up @AndyC772

This might be me tomorrow, car is only 3 years old though so hoping to catch it before it all happens.

I shoved a zip tie up the down spout this morning, some dirt and soil came out but it was still letting some water out before then. I poured a watering can load down and most of it goes out to the right side, (facing the windscreen). 

Some leaves down there I'll dig out tomorrow too. 

I've been under the carpet under the chair, where the front and back carpets meet. It's quiet thin there, no sign of dampness. Quite sticky though, but I think that is to secure the carpets. 

Edited by Skynet5

Hi all,

Recently, I noticed quite a big amount in the rear footwell of my '14 F11 520D. However, my car is LHD and the leakage is on the driver's side. There is no yellow grommet on that side of the car, since that is where my steering wheel is. I did find a pile of wet dirt and leaves on and underneath the circled cover on the first photo.

I think I removed pretty much all the wet stuff and vacuumed the back of the car. Everything seemed fine. But yesterday, after washing the car, I found the back footwell to be wet again (not as wet as the first time, though). I immediately opened the bonnet to see a lot of foam from washing the car together with just a small amount of wet dirt in the same spot.

Today I removed the cover from the first picture to properly clean the area but there is barely any dirt or leaves, see pictures two and three. So right now, I'm just not sure what the cause of the leakage is and what to do to fix it. With the holidays, it's probably going to take at least 2 weeks to get a spot at the dealership.

Your help and tips are greatly appreciated! 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

On 12/21/2019 at 8:44 AM, 535i Andrew said:

He doesn’t AshM’s car is a right hand drive  with the grommet on the left hand side.

References to Right and Left are when sat in the drivers seat. 

My bad. He has a screen washer hose leak too. 

Edited by Skynet5

3 hours ago, Kwame said:

Hi all,

Recently, I noticed quite a big amount in the rear footwell of my '14 F11 520D. However, my car is LHD and the leakage is on the driver's side. There is no yellow grommet on that side of the car, since that is where my steering wheel is. I did find a pile of wet dirt and leaves on and underneath the circled cover on the first photo...

Excuse me. I just see I have been looking in the wrong part of the engine bay. However, if I'm correct, there will still not be a yellow grommet on my driver's side, right? Could this still be the cause for the leakage?

5 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

Couple of questions here on the sketch

grommet sketch.png

Nice sketch :-)

IIRC when things are working as BMW intended water is supposed to flow out through the hole you've arrowed but its this hole and its outlet behind the wheel arch which block up causing the water to accumulate behind the yellow grommet.

You can modify the acoustic cover to allow water to drain out of the bottom roughly where your blue arrow is pointing directly down. This way water will drain more freely from behind the panel and if the drain hole and its outlet do get blocked at least the water has somewhere to go other than leaking past the grommet and into the car. See below a photo of the modification I made to the seal on my panel.

20190210-181554.jpg

27 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

So is there any risk in  letting water go to the bottom of the engine bay? I presume not.  To be fair, when I did my watering can experiment, water came out the bottom anyway.

so water should only go out from the left to the right of the hole (facing the grommet). is there a another hole in the area under the hinge?  I could see nothing, but presume there should be. Otherwise where does the water go! lol other than into the car once the grommet fails.

might pick up an endoscope and take a proper look.  I've seen the post about pulling the wheel off and the arch lining.  Fun.

I was hoping I could clean stuff out from the top with some long thin pipes...if I knew where to poke.

I pulled so many leaves out from that hole with my finger, and dad pouring water into the area under the hinge to coex them through.  See photos.

This long thread has been through all of this before.

The water drains through the hole, a few cars have the pipe pocking through but the majority don't.  I think the pipe comes from the lower blower motor housing for any accumulated water there.

The water should evacuate through the hole to the right of your diagram and down via the rubber grommet that the brake lines go through over the backside of the wheel arch liner. This rubber grommet also fills with crud blocking that as an escape passage.

All of the water ends up on top of the vehicle undertray which has channels moulded into it for the purpose of channelling the water out to the front or rear.

So, no, water tricking on to the under tray is just fine.   

2011 520D SE. Rear offside (Right) footwell carpet soaked. Carpet at the side seems damp, but that would be drying ot naturally because of the vertical position. On prising out the bottom of the doorcard, towards the hinge side, water started dripping out. (quite a bit). 

Unfortunately, in my clumsy attempt to see what was happening, I tried to remove the rubber grommet under the door and succeded in poking it up inside the door. I've temporarily blocked the hole with some very strong and stick gaffer tape.  On reading some of the comments, it seems likely that the door is the source of the leak but unfortunately, I'm not in a position to pay BMW rates to find out. It looks like I'm going to have to live with it, although the car windows steam up so I have to put the heating on most of the time. 

What exactly is the purpose of the grommet under the door? Do I need to replace it?

Also, I'm no longer confident I could remove the door card, and if I could, I probably couldn't fix the membrane. Would an Indy be worth a try?

2 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

Yup. That is a vapor barrier failure.  Super easy to fix apparently. Remove door handle cowl, remove bolt, remove door panel with plastic tools.  

Then either heat existing buytl tape and push vapour seal back down, or remove and replace butyl tape.  Can be a 45min job...or perhaps 2hrs if you need to redo all the tape.

Sounds promising. I have looked at a Youtub video but can't work out why the Chrome/piano black/ walnut strip needs to come off. Is it anchored right through to the door frame?   I'm a bit worried about breaking the plastic retainers, because the guy in the video did, bit didn't mention it!  Also, there would appear to be a range of butyl tape and I would prefer to have everything ready before starting. Is there a particular size? Do I need any tools to scrape the old stuff off?. I dont fancy  replacing the whole membrane but I might manage a repair of some sort. Can I buy a single grommet to replace the one I pushed inside the door? I won't be attempting any of this until the new year sometime.

2 hours ago, qprdude said:

Hi mate. 

This is the stuff. 

Coralgraph Inc Butyl Tape Strip... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CQNC8ZY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The trim doesn't if you are doing the rear doors. Only if you're doing the front as there is another bolt behind it. If it is the video I'm thinking of, he does it on the rear just to show how to take the trim off if your'e doing the back. 

I think you can pick up the retainers off the bay or realoem. I wouldn't worry too much...you won't break them all. If you break one, buy one then.  That's the biggest type of risk I take in my life lol. 

I'll have a look around, no promises.

Yeah, don't go in thinking replace membrane. You might have to, but unlikely unless you think someone else has been in there before. 

You pull off the membrane with your fingers and rubber gloves. Gentle with the membrane. 

Caveat.. Not done this before myself, just research from other members and videos etc. 

But looks pretty simple, even if you are not a diyer. 

Buy decent plastic tools. Wide, thin and strong. 

Edited by Skynet5

Cheers for that. It'll be a couple of weeks at least, before I get round to it. I have a few plastic bike tyre levers that are very strong.

I'm hoping to soak up most of the water with cloths and towelsand maybe put a fan in there with the windows open. 

I'll have to source a new grommet to replace the one I shoved inside the door. 

Edited by qprdude

1 hour ago, qprdude said:

Cheers for that. It'll be a couple of weeks at least, before I get round to it. I have a few plastic bike tyre levers that are very strong.

I'm hoping to soak up most of the water with cloths and towelsand maybe put a fan in there with the windows open. 

I'll have to source a new grommet to replace the one I shoved inside the door. 

Just to confirm, is it the drivers side rear of a RHD? 

As it is rarish for the door card leak to come in to the footwell. 

Just want to make sure your right is my right and you don't have a yellow grommet issue. 

Edited by Skynet5

Has anyone accessed the yellow grommet on an M5?  It looks like the panel held by the 4 torx bolts is under an aluminium heat shield which is behind the exhaust.  Do both of these have to come off first?

This photo shows what’s there after the plastic and aluminium engine under trays have been removed.

2B93CB24-0842-4113-BD0C-B385EC8E9CF2.jpeg

Edited by MJK1
Add photo

10 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

Just to confirm, is it the drivers side rear of a RHD? 

As it is rarish for the door card leak to come in to the footwell. 

Just want to make sure your right is my right and you don't have a yellow grommet issue. 

RHD car, offside rear.

The plot thickens. On checking this morning, I have a puddle of water on the seat. It is right at the front outside edge. On checking the door, there is water ingress at the top, right above the wet area. The headlining is totally dry. It looks like the problem is either the main door seal, the main body seal, or both. If this is the case,  that would be why the "vertical carpeting is dry. The water is dripping off the front edge of the seat directly onto the floor.  I've not heard of door  seals   suddenly leaking but I suppose the rubber degenerates with time. I've had much older cars than this with no problems. I have absolutely no ideea how the seals are retained, nor how to replace them.  

1 hour ago, qprdude said:

RHD car, offside rear.

The plot thickens. On checking this morning, I have a puddle of water on the seat. It is right at the front outside edge. On checking the door, there is water ingress at the top, right above the wet area. The headlining is totally dry. It looks like the problem is either the main door seal, the main body seal, or both. If this is the case,  that would be why the "vertical carpeting is dry. The water is dripping off the front edge of the seat directly onto the floor.  I've not heard of door  seals   suddenly leaking but I suppose the rubber degenerates with time. I've had much older cars than this with no problems. I have absolutely no ideea how the seals are retained, nor how to replace them.  

All the info you need is in Newtis.info. This should really be a new thread as it is not related to the Yellow Grommet. 

24 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

All the info you need is in Newtis.info. This should really be a new thread as it is not related to the Yellow Grommet. 

Sorry, but I have no idea what Newtis.info is, nor where to find it. I came on this thread because the OP heading was "heavy rain Water leak". There was no mention of the "yellow grommet" until well into the thread.

32 minutes ago, qprdude said:

Sorry, but I have no idea what Newtis.info is

Here you go...

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

It's a bit like an online Haines manual. Lots of useful info there. You can use the last 7 characters of your VIN to bring up a mine of useful info and guides specific to your car.

19 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Here you go...

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

It's a bit like an online Haines manual. Lots of useful info there. You can use the last 7 characters of your VIN to bring up a mine of useful info and guides specific to your car.

Thank you.