Thanks Andrew. Will get reading properly tonight.

Please see MP4 attached, this is the rear Offside area, swimming in water! I have water also under my rear seat squab. I have pulled out the sill trims and rear corner seat squabs to try and trace the leak but it is dry higher up (where you can see the wiring i have unclipped)

I have jacked the car up so all water has run into the rear floor area and then used a wet and dry vac to suck the water out. The carpets are still sodden.

Front passenger side is dry, which has thrown me reading this thread with the yellow grommet.

I do however have a sloped drive and sometimes park forwards or backwards, maybe the water has moved?

I think when back from holiday i will remove the front seats and carpet and investigate futher. Not sure i want to keep the car now which is a shame as i was looking at G30 and 8 series last month but decided to run the 530d longer, not so sure now.

Front pic of drivers side was taken on my sloped drive today, i have always had thick rubber mats in the car so never noticed any water.

20191025_191630.jpg

20191025_163914.jpg

Woah, that is a lot of water.

Let the process of elimination begin. Spray water around the exterior of the  vehicle to see where its coming in from. 

For now, just enjoy your holiday... You'll get to the route cause in the end. 

Thanks Chaps.

What has thrown me is how wet it is under the back seat squab. Where the seat belt anchors are bolted you can wring it out like a sponge, totally baffled at how the water has gotten in!

Friends and colleagues are being very supportive, so far i have been sent 'why does it always rain on me' by travis to listen too and also brilliant suggestions such as fill the car with rice.

Currently trying to remove the front seats as i would like to quickly whip the carpet out so it has a better chance of drying. Any ideas how to release the front seatbelt from the seat?

I disconnected the battery last night. Will leave it like that. I dont really care about triggering warnings or errors as i have Rhinegold so can reset everything when done.

The car has no sunroof so we can rule that out.

Edited by AshM

I can confirm that my front passenger carpet is also absolutley sodden. I only pulled the carpet forward with the sill trim off last night and it looked dry, but on removing the kick panel where the passengers feet go i could then pull the carpet forward and it is soaked! It just had not formed a deep puddle like on the drivers side.

So i think it is my yellow grommet. The car does not get used loads and it has been sat so i am guessing that the water has just progressively filled up the car! I also have a sloped drive and sometimes park it either forward or reversed so it has been moving around.

Going to take some work to dry it out! 

I will be checking the rear vapours in the doors also, maybe it has been leaking from both areas!

EDITED: decided to get to grommet cover and whip it off. Not too bad just takes ages at a quarter or a turn to get the 4 x bolts out. Mine was clogged right over with crap and soaking (pic taken after racking said crap out) Fairly sure this is one source of a major leak. Still wondering how the hell it has gotten to the rear seat squab and over to the drivers side!!! Got drivers carpet pulled up and used a wet vac to suck as much out as poss. Have a oil rad in on full now. Going to take time...no idea if it is going to smell bad.

20191026_171659.jpg

20191026_171610.jpg

20191026_171453.jpg

Edited by AshM

Also for peoples reference the grommet is very easy to access from inside the car. Pull down the trim under the glovebox. Pull the carpet forward.

Remove one x holding lug on the bulkhead insulation. 

Slice it with a Stanley knife and pull forward.

All is revealed.

Insulation simply pushes back into place and isn't hurt.

My car is 9 years old with 120k so is a banger and I don't really care anyway! 

20191026_173408.jpg

20191026_173423.jpg

20191026_173514.jpg

Thanks Nash. It looks like dirt doesn't it dried from running down? The grommet under the bonnet was absolutely full of crud and soaking when the cover was taken off.

I am not going to replace the cover. Going to clean the area and apply Puraflex 40 from toolstation over the whole area inside and out. Cover the whole yellow grommet. 

https://www.toolstation.com/puraflex-40-high-modulus-pu-sealant-adhesive-300ml/p85566

Edited by AshM

Thanks for the inside pics of the grommet @AshM

If water is on your rear seat squab it is not coming from the yellow grommet. I would look at your rear window seal. 

1 hour ago, nashdm2 said:

On the last picture, you can see what looks like water stains coming down from the grommett.

I can see why you said that but as its spread laterally I don’t think it’s water staining but adhesive residue from the foam insulation. I could be wrong, that’s not unheard off! :D

On reflection, I think you might be right Andrew, if I zoom in, it does look like glue more than water stains. Ash, when you sliced the insulation and pulled it away, was there some of it stuck to the bulkhead?

9 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

If water is on your rear seat squab it is not coming from the yellow grommet. I would look at your rear window seal. 

I can see why you said that but as its spread laterally I don’t think it’s water staining but adhesive residue from the foam insulation. I could be wrong, that’s not unheard off! :D

Thanks Andrew. Agreed, i really do not know how it has made its way to the rear seat squab, it is soaked right over the tunnel between the 2 x footwells in the rear. I have tried to trace a leak from a rear window but cannot see any trace or damp above the seat. I am going to leave it now for 2 weeks. When i get back i will seal the yellow grommet anyway and then leave the interior out and put a hose pipe on it to try and see any water ingress. If it was a rear window i would expect it to be wet inside the boot also and it is bone dry, it is very strange. I am not ruling anything out but hope i can trace it!

I think because i have had thick rubber mats in the car this has been leaking for a long time and it has gone unnoticed. It sat for about 2 months unused in the warmer months. I did take the car to a car wash a few weeks ago but for the volume of water in the carpet i am sure it would have been gushing through somewhere.

Very strange!

I’d suggest this is all Yellow grommet. The sheer volume of water that’s accumulated is being forced up to the rear seat squab when driving the car forward and this too can cause the water to soak up and over the prop shaft tunnel.  I wouldn’t be wasting time looking for any other ingress point until the clean out of the drain hole and sealing of the yellow grommet has been done. Then make sure the car is dry and see if any water returns.

All i can do is seal the grommet up and see. I wont replace rear seat or sill trims etc. Will take it to a pressure washer. Open to all ideas at the moment but i have checked all the other weak spots in this post and the car is dry in all of them. The yellow grommet so far is the only place i know for sure where water has been penetrating. Maybe it has been like this for years.

I wont know until i get it sealed and tested. it has 2 weeks to dry out. Driving 500 miles today in my Motorhome to France so wont be worrying about it!

Thanks again for all feedback, this thread has been an absolute godsend.

What’s confusing in this water leak source is the fact you have a puddle in the drivers foot well. 

We know water that leaks into the car via the yellow grommet manifests itself as a puddle in the rear passenger footwell and the passenger front carpets are dry. 

If water runs to the rear that doesn’t explain the puddle under your drivers side. 

That points to water leaks on the windscreen or a leak in the structure of the car around the front bulkhead. Not unheard of water leaks from bulkhead cracks on cars.

Unless of course the sheer volume of water in yours back floods into the drivers footwell. 

Update for any one who is interested.

Put a piece of Duct tape over bottom hole in grommet and left cover off.

Have used carpet cleaner to draw as much water as possible (appro 2/3 pints.) through removed Velcro discs.

Car has been out in the heavy rain of the last few days.

Looked at rear N/S Rear floor well today and seems fairly dry. Carpet cleaner can't suck anything up. 

I am now wondering whether to leave cover off permanently - what does it do anyway?

Edited by Caerfryn

5 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

That’s a lot of capillary action needed to flood up onto the rear seat squab. 

Never mentioned capillary action to the seat squab. If there is that much water it is quite possible that the forward motion could get up onto the bodywork under the seat is all I'm saying. We know it already gwts from the front of the car to the rear foot well through forward motion so this is quite plausible. All quite academic until the Op's car totally dries out after the repair.

I had an initial stab at checking my car out - with limited success!

There is no sign of water when I prod the rear carpets, ditto front.

I tried accessing the yellow grommet. I removed the sill trim strip and corner piece then removed the two star drive bolts from the tray under the glove box. It started to come free but seemed to be stuck at the rear, right side. I managed to shove my hand down towards the footwell of the passenger side front a little. I couldn't feel any damp but I didn't get that far in to be honest. I gave up due to worrying about damaging the tray under the glove box or not being able to get it back.

I tried to find the cover in the engine bay - and I'm not sure which / what it is. I didn't take the upper engine cover off as there seemed to be no benefit.Mine is a 3l so maybe different to the 2l in this respect? Is the cover the bottom one in the photo below? The part with the arrow pointing towards it?

Quite a few of the trim screws seem to be missing in this area which is a bit worrying...

Car_LI.jpg

@Craig David

If you read this thread in full the yellow grommet cover location is well described for virtually all F10 engines. 

You don’t need to take the engine cover off on the 530d as there is plenty of room to reach down and in between the block and the near side inner wing.  I can’t recognise that location in your photo in a 530d as it was some time ago that I did one on a 530d. 

1 hour ago, Craig David said:

Is the cover the bottom one in the photo below

You're in the right area. The screw directly underneath the head of the arrow you drew on you photo is one of the screws in the panel you need to remove. It's at the top left corner of the panel so the rest of the panel is below and to the right

as you look at it.

Edited by Cadwell Parker

29 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

That picture with the arrow on it does not look correct from my memory?

Here's a photo I took when I had my cover off, looking at the interior of the panel. I think the screw under the arrows head in Craigs photo is the same as the one arrowed here.

20190210-181554.jpg

On 26/10/2019 at 19:43, 535i Andrew said:

Both area of my footwear were wet .. front end all dry . Found on a US forum about door vapour seals behind door panel 

Resealed so far all good 

Sorry dont have any photos