BM Ian

Coilover Question

My car came with coilovers fitted (cheap kit, JOM i think?) recently i decided to lower it a bit more, everything moved freely but to get the car level i had to lower the base plate by over 15mm lower than the other (rears) am i right in thinking the actual load on each rear shock/coilover will now act differently and could cause one side to feel softer under acceleration?

post-43885-0-44244500-1447309812_thumb.j

If you've lowered them evenly, there should be no difference. The pre-load needs to be set evenly across both corners, unless you've had it corner weighted and set up professionally, then that way they can be adjusted as necessary

It could be, however, that the dampers failing and going soft etc

They do look very dirty/wet!

Thanks for the reply .. Thats an old pic after I'd soaked the threads with WD40.

My car is level but ive had to adjust the lower base plate one of my rears by 15 mm more than the otherto achieve it to be level,

My main reason for asking is as i'm trying to find the reason my car feels like it has a rear wheel steer (slight wobble) when i accelerate quickly or lift off the power at speed, i can't find a fault with any bushes, mechanicals, tyres or steering.

Which side is lowered more, opposite of that battery?

If so then that's understandable, the battery side sits lower naturally anyway!

Re the steering wobble, I'd get your alloys checked as either a tyre could be warped or the alloy could be warped/buckled!

Are your brake discs/pads in good condition? If the diff ok with no issues/noises etc?

What about the rear top mounts?!

top mounts are something i'd considered to  

it seams to be my passanger side rear that ive had to go 15mm lower to match the height of the drivers side. tyres are all the same make & condition, wheels are fine, no unusual mechanical noise or issue's, brakes are fine to (even my hand brake works on just 2 clicks! lol )

i don't get steering wobble it's more a rear end wobble. i can take my hands off the steering wheel, kick down a gear and it stays straight it just has a weird rear end feel? 

if it's dry over the weekend i think i'll pull the rear coilovers off and give the top mounts a good look over. 

think i'm looking at a weak rear shock/coilover?

this is the passenger side (arch gap) that i had to wined down an extra 15mm more than the drivers side to get the car sitting level.

post-43885-0-80459200-1447416185_thumb.j

this is the drivers side which has since dropped after i leveled it all a couple of weeks ago (smaller arch gap)

post-43885-0-31130700-1447416206_thumb.j

i wipped the wheel off to check the adjusters and there still tight & the spring looks to be still in one piece. i'll raise the drivers side to match the passenger side later today & see what happens?

i did say to my wife that next spring i was going to put it back to springs & shocks (lowered spring's) as i don't trust the cheap coilovers that had been fitted, they were only fitted 3 weeks before i got the car in February this year.  

Edited by BM Ian

Hi,

Could be a spring going soft. That could explain your strange feel from the back as one side will squat more than the other when accelerating.

Cheers,

Gavin :)

small up-date to my rear end wobble, way back in Februrary when i MOT'd my E39 the mot tester noticed a nut missing from a bolt on a rear suspension bush (inner trailing arm) he kindly replaced it before he passed the MOT. i was under my car today going through all nut's N bolt's & pry baring all the bushes... the nut he replaced was still there & still tight but there is a good 5mm of play on that bush. After a closer inspection i noticed the bolt is far to narrow so tomorrow if the weather is good i'll have a go at replacing the bolt with a wider/proper diameter bolt... pretty sure this is my wobble fault, under load it'll move more than i did with a bar.

Edited by BM Ian

Wow, the MOT tester put the wrong dia bolt in there? I think I'd avoid that guy in future, that could have ended catastrophically.

thanks Pete, i was going to change the bolt today but the weather has been bad here. ive a family funeral tomorrow then after that i'll head to my mates garage to get a shot of a ramp & fit a proper bolt 

Wow, the MOT tester put the wrong dia bolt in there? I think I'd avoid that guy in future, that could have ended catastrophically.

no the MOT tester only put a nut on the bolt as he noticed the nut missing & he's a great guy