Piper

WOAH! F10 iDrive retrofit into E39s and E38s is a reality!

That was guesswork as well.

This will be installed in the E38 for less than a grand. I'm on a mission!

That was guesswork as well.

This will be installed in the E38 for less than a grand. I'm on a mission!

This may well be your mission, but it's 'most likely' to be impossible !

The cost to purchase the interface module on it's own is £491. http://www.germaniks.com/bmw-nbt-retrofit/nbt-connectivity-kit-for-ibus-cars-bmw-e39-e46-e53-e38-e83-range-rover/

The cost to purchase the controller template is £42.73

The cost to purchase an E39 custom bezel is around £116 or so (look on the bimmerforums thread where the price is given as $180 USD when a genuine E39 monitor trim piece is sent to them)

The cost to purchase the later NBT with more features and a monitor and a controller unit will cost you well in excess of the £350 you have left of your £1000 budget. The 'best' one being the one with the touch controller and seem to range from around £8/900 to purchase.

If you can then code it all, install it all then you'll save a lot, but not under £1000 for everything!

Duncan - I'm always calm ! spock.jpg

Cheers, Dennis!

iBus module is approx £300 on Bimmerretrofit

After spending a couple of hours on ebay, I reckon the screen, idrive controller and NBT can be had for £400 with a bit of haggling with the right seller. NBTs with DAB inputs seem to go for a bit more.

Bezel can be bought for around £75.

Ain't bothered about 'touch'.

Don't take me on when it comes to ebay, I am the man!

Edited by Piper

iBus module is approx £300 on Bimmerretrofit

After spending a couple of hours on ebay, I reckon the screen, idrive controller and NBT can be had for £400 with a bit of haggling with the right seller. NBTs with DAB inputs seem to go for a bit more.

Bezel can be bought for around £75.

Ain't bothered about 'touch'.

Don't take me on when it comes to ebay, I am the man!

add wiring and shipping and the module alone is up to £450

NBT is ~£450-500 on ebay, more for the 10.2" screen and sometimes more for the NBT controller (as opposed to CIC), and definitely more for DAB units. Cheaper end of the spectrum is about £450, with basic units occasionally popping up for ~£400-450

plus all the additional bits and bobs ... it's definitely going to be more than a grand

Also touch is a very good feature, especially while on the move - the road noise mades the voice recognition less effective and the touch recognition helps massively in letting the driver input a new destination with very little distraction, you can "type" while looking at the road and it's still pretty good at recognising your scribbly handwriting... very safe to use IMO

Edited by baus

Hey Fooljam, 

Thanks for signing up.

I look forward to working with you to get the retrofit completed. I'm hoping to set up a group buy.

Am currently looking around at prices etc, and selling a few OEM bits to fund the project.

Edited by Piper

I don't get it fully Piper, I'm not too hot on these multimedia solutions, What's the advantage of this over any other double din unit?

Mainly that it's what you would get (mostly) as the multimedia package, if you walked into a BMW dealer and bought a brand new M5.

Ain't that just unbelievable? The cool factor is off the scale. 

A double din solution is just 'shrug your shoulders, oh look it's another double din thing that looks too small'. Fair play, they do sound good and offer decent value, but I'm going for the cool factor here, not really comparing one product to another. It's like comparing caviare to a bacon sandwich. 

Edited by Piper

Mainly that it's what you would get (mostly) as the multimedia package, if you walked into a BMW dealer and bought a brand new M5.

Ain't that just unbelievable? The cool factor is off the scale. 

Cheers got it now, that's what I thought it was just thought I may have missed something. It's not for me as I probably already have more than £4.5k in my set up but am watching with interest.

Put a sock in it!

I would usually hide this thread, but believe there is useful information on an interesting project.

Again, calm down and move on. Back to topic and leave your handbags by your sides. There is absolutely no need to bring them to the forum

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've been following this on Bimmerforums and although it does look mighty impressive I can't justify this kind of money. Look forward to seeing a fully working setup when I might change my mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following with interest. 

Will read up on the other threads tonight. Fair play for taking it on Piper. 

Strangely, on newer cars I like the screen jutting out the top of the dash. However, in the e39 I think it would look better (if done right) in the original HU location.

I'm interested in this ... not saying I've got the cash spare at the moment, but as I have mk4 nav (with v13 bluetooth) I'd certainly be able to claw a lot back.

... main thing for me is how well it integrates and how OEM it ends up looking. I don't like their placement of the controller, but can't think of anywhere better either atm (unless it were somehow possible to swap ashtray and cubby hole around?)

It seems the screen, controller & NBT can be had off ebay for about £500 all in :)

Edited by stuclark

Gulp

Screen, NBT and idrive controller purchased....

NBT is fully loaded with DAB connections :)

No going back now! Pics upon arrival.

That's the spirit. No f**king about.

This is going to be epic!

Gulp

Screen, NBT and idrive controller purchased....

NBT is fully loaded with DAB connections :)

No going back now! Pics upon arrival.

Do you mind sharing your expenses - be very interested in the final DIY costs.

Does it matter which NBT you buy?  ie from which car?

Which emulator you going for?  I get the impression the bimmerretrofit one is the one that does everything but I don't know what the main difference between this and one of the £100 from ebay are.

Additionally do you understand the camera bit? Can you just plug in cameras to these or do you need something special?

From what I read, it seems you can install pretty much *any* camera as a reversing camera

http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=157_158&product_id=111

Here they show the 'top side' view with several cameras

If I could do this I could justify the cost set against the inevitable repair job when my missis drags the car across some obvious bollard.