JAM172

E12 M535 build nr 138 of 450

I decided I wanted this m535i back in May this year, it belonged to E12 Guru Tony BMW. Tony was going to carry out the welding required before I had it, unfortunately this timed with Tony taking on a new business venture and he simply did not have the time, so on Monday 18th October 2015 it was transported to me on a trailer all the way from Northumberland. I had driven up and back in my e39 in May, 715 miles round trip, what a mission so I was not going to do it again.

UGO 443W has been off the road since 1998, it is structurally very good, the welding required is two small patches in the boot floor, the complete rear panel and lower rear quarters and a small repair to the rear floor pan.

Cosmetic body work is tatty but sound, it needs a respray. The interior is good with some light repair required to the drivers back rest and base outer bolsters. I intend to keep UGO pretty much standard, a slight drop and some rather nice Rial basket weave wheels brought from this forum some time back, refurbished and ready for tyres.

I have started work on the headlight carriers, air filter box and with the engine bay itself:

016_zpsthvdctdv.jpg

020_zpsaey17byo.jpg

017_zps52jdwc1n.jpg

003_zpsidgehp14.jpg

002_zpsymknheaw.jpg

001%202_zpszkmpwlif.jpg

As you can see I have my work cut out.

Edited by JAM172

good job winter coming now, forecast lots of work shop hours, prep and paint plus the other doing a bit, we all enjoy a bit of s and m re these old charmers.

good luck and hopefully no entirely unforeseen problems.

This weeks efforts:

002_zpsyu7ixivf.jpg

004_zpste9f1xzg.jpg

003%202_zpsavjtfp7h.jpg

006_zps9ngx9s7f.jpg

008_zpshai3jmyo.jpg

005_zpslsnywv6c.jpg

I have also started to clean up the fuel tank ready for painting.

Edited by JAM172

Another project!

If you ever need any help I am happy to lend a weekend or three :)

Thanks Andy, it's very early days, shades of E3 in the rust scraping stakes. desperately looking for a set of headlight wiper arms, I have tried to use motors and arms from the e28 but the don't fit in the carriers so please keep your eyes pealed, common to e3, and e9 but that's it. I also need a washer motor, one is in tact the other is buggered.

Pop over and have a nosey one Saturday if you fancy it.

I shall do that! Wont be next weekend but maybe the next one - Be good to have a catch up too.

I shall ask my brother, he is working at a BMW breakers now

Give this guy a call, if you haven't already.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/231728639773

Hi Sam, tried him, no good. For the time being I have standard headlight rings coming to run without the wipers, even the grills are different with cut outs for the wiper motor spindles and holes for the washer jets, fortunately I have standard grills as well to go with the non wiper version. I managed to find new old stock on the washer motors. :cool:

Edited by JAM172

Here are a couple of before and after picture for the wheels that will be going on, they are 16" 8J rials, polished dishes my Mr oxo himself. :cool:

WP_20150529_004_zpsbwdcgzff.jpg/URL]

026_zpsat1sf0f8.jpg

Edited by JAM172

Nice! Never seen those before, it's going to look the nuts. I went up to £1800 on those alpinas you spotted, they went for £1850 in the end, so I've put the e28 in the body shop instead.

I have now completed the headlamps, having found some non wiper lamp rings for the time being, fortunately I got the grills from fritz to suit this set up a while back, as you can see the headlamp bulb covering caps are rusting as not yet lacquered.

001_zpszbfrjnyx.jpg

003%202_zpskjg4s7ec.jpg

The fuel tank has been part refurbished, I still have the inside rust to sort out, that lovely job is booked with oxo for next weekend and involves a high pressure jet wash, steam cleaner and acid :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :roll:

006_zpslykxjd1z.jpg

The rest of last week I spent prepping the inner wings and front panel, slam panel etc, I have just got to the front offside jacking point and floor pan, this is not good, filler in the jacking point and "welding" to the floor pan under the pedals, this will all have to be re-done (pictures of that to follow). In the meantime here are some before and after pictures of the front panel:

011_zpsvugo8b3m.jpg

008_zpsrewczvza.jpg

021_zps6pwxqd7l.jpg

020_zpswwldd5a6.jpg

019_zpsycr2mxwl.jpg

Back to grinding out more rust & bloody filler :evil:

Edited by JAM172

Making some good progress there, should look awesome when finished.

Keep at it, Rome wasn't built in a day as they say although it did burn in a night apparently.

Regards,

Mick

Ja.

I used stuff Tony says to use. Can't remember it off hand. I think it's deox c did my caps and they came out like new

Well been busy on it again all weekend, I was just about to cramp myself into the wheel arch this morning and thought hang on it will make a much better job and be a lot easier if I took the wings off, so I did. I have found some hideous welding that will have to be re-done, all in the usual e3, e28 and e12 places.

001_zpslflyfxvo.jpg

003_zps8weuglmh.jpg

004_zpse9r0t4tk.jpg

006_zpsm0rj3pgw.jpg

007_zps42prg29r.jpg

005_zpsiekkvooz.jpg

I have now uncovered all the rot from the front panel, engine bay, inner wings and front floor pans. The intention is to get all the nasty bits uncovered, so I will be working my way under the car and into the rear arches and finally into the boot floor so I still have loads to do.

During this week I have removed the seats, carpet & centre console, and yesterday removed all the old sound deadening pads, IMO most of the rot is caused by moisture getting in and setting between these pads and the floor pans, here we go, this is not for the squeamish:

003_zps3kphqzsz.jpg

001_zps3syzmrbs.jpg

005_zpsoc6pbxya.jpg

002_zpscwou9esh.jpg

008_zpsfvcyprn7.jpg

010_zpshuwtnh4e.jpg

012_zpslbk7di5y.jpg

007_zpsp82avjfq.jpg

006_zpsnmpj4nna.jpg

013_zpsrfiqp9wx.jpg

011_zpspth55scr.jpg

009_zpszzexadg3.jpg

"And that's all I have to say about that"..............Forest Gump :roll:B)

On a more positive note, thanks to Steve (oxo) the fuel tank now looks as new inside, thanks to his 2000 psi steam cleaner.

And today I will be scrapping off more rust, finishing off the front sub frame first, then it's into the rear arches and finishing off with the wheel well, I know that this is Swiss cheese.

Edited by JAM172

That is quite bad but complete removal of the interior was an absolute must to see what you are dealing with. That driver side is pretty naughty although has it had any previous repairs on that side?

That is quite bad but complete removal of the interior was an absolute must to see what you are dealing with. That driver side is pretty naughty although has it had any previous repairs on that side?

Eh yes, lots of previous repairs, it has corroded right in line with the chassis rail and up to the seat. I have been on it all day again, now grinding rust of the front subframe, rust proofing ready to paint.

I took out the radiator and aircon rad, both need rebuilding or replacing, they had to come out so that I could get at the last of the rust in the front panel/engine bay.

I also drained the 17 year old engine oil out, I will put some cheap stuff and a new filter in just to flush it through, mind you I wont be able to run it until the rear panel and lower quarters have been welded in, the fuel and brake lines replaced, the fuel tank, fuel pump, exhaust and propshaft returned to there rightful positions.