jamiepeers

What size Swirl flaps do i have?

As above, a 530d LCI 2008?

There are 22mm and 32 (33?)mm ones advertised, i think mine would be the 33mm ones but not sure. Aside from physically measuring which i assume you have to be in some degree of strip down to tell, is there any other way to make sure as i'd like to buy the bits and tackle it in one go as opposed to strip down, measure refit and all that jazz?

Cheers

Jamie

One company (PMW or something) will sell you both sizes - return the one you didn't use for refund. I'm in the same boat.

I recently emailed BMWUK and asked them whether the swirl flaps were ever a recall (forlorn hope i know) and whether there was a way to tell if my car (early 2007 LCI) had the beefed up flaps. They said it's deadline easy - take the car into your local BMW dealer, open your wallet and sit back.

http://www.bmwforums.info/general-guides-and-how-to-s/993-bmw-diesel-engine-swirl-flaps-to-swirl-flaps.html

I would suggest yours are the larger of the 2 and your will most likely find they are the "upgraded" plastic ones that are designed not to destroy your engine just ruin it enstead!

I have a 2008 535d and did them a few weeks ago, 32mm and I believe the intake manifolds are the exact part numbers between the 535 and the 530 LCi on real oem. If in doubt, find your car on real oem and compare parts numbers of intake manifold, for mine it was: Part no. 11617790701 and these were the larger swirl flaps at 32mm

I don't think I recall anyone posting who had the 22mm ones so on the balance of probability, you have the 32mm ones.

Mine is pre LCI with 32mm.

Nobody can tell you definitively even with your Reg No or VIN

I'd also suggest yours were the larger size - my 2007 535d was the larger size, with ident TU on the inlet manifold (I don't think that is conclusive).

I ordered only the larger size from PMW and was glad of two things:

1 - I ordered the larger size only as it saved me the hassle of returning them.

2 - That I opted for the PMW blanks - very well manufactured in my opinion. They were slightly marred where they had rubbed together in the packaging, which I would ask them to individually bubble wrap them but it wasn't important enough to me to return in my opinion. They are also out of sight, but I'm quite anal  :cool:

I'd also suggest yours were the larger size - my 2007 535d was the larger size, with ident TU on the inlet manifold (I don't think that is conclusive).

I ordered only the larger size from PMW and was glad of two things:

1 - I ordered the larger size only as it saved me the hassle of returning them.

2 - That I opted for the PMW blanks - very well manufactured in my opinion. They were slightly marred where they had rubbed together in the packaging, which I would ask them to individually bubble wrap them but it wasn't important enough to me to return in my opinion. They are also out of sight, but I'm quite anal  :cool:

I found them not tight fit as the original swirl flaps (33mm), however no issues to date after two years.

I attempted the swirl flap change last weekend - after undoing all the bolts and disconnecting all connectors and brackets I could see I was still convinced something lower down was still attached when I started lifting up the intake manifold.

Basically I panicked and put the whole thing back together...

Can anyone tell me if there are some things connected fairly low down ??

Mines a 535D LCI...

I attempted the swirl flap change last weekend - after undoing all the bolts and disconnecting all connectors and brackets I could see I was still convinced something lower down was still attached when I started lifting up the intake manifold.

Basically I panicked and put the whole thing back together...

Can anyone tell me if there are some things connected fairly low down ??

Mines a 535D LCI...

Where are you mate? If followed the guide that's floating about and it was fine for me. There's one connector at the very back by the strut brace and one just by the dipstick for the swirl flap actuator.

Edit: apologies, have replied to PM.

Edited by Tom535d