RumRunner

USA South Purge reaches beyond silly

A friend of Lindas informed us of what I think is terrible.  Her grandaughter was sent home with a letter from her teacher asking could a different surname could be used for her granddaughter,  her surname happens to be DIXI.   

It certainly looks like some are trying to purge the south of its history,  oh hang on its American history.   

No rick its not so simple to change ones last name,  but its not illegal to use a aloias.  The point  is the nerve of the teacher to send a letter requesting such a change in a childs surname.  I would be banging on the principals door demanding that the teacher apologies at the very least.

Its all part of the attempt by some to rewrite history about the civil war .  All this because the childs name was Dixi for crying out loud,  

What that lchild must be thinking that she has done something real wrong that she cannot be CALLED BY HER PROPER NAME

have they gone insane

It's down right disrespectful is what it is. I'm not sure I could contemplate being asked that.

Albeit, I'm not quite sure what reference dixi has, my American history knollage is very slim!

Rick Dixi is the mason dixion line that seperates the North and South of the US|A,  many references of the civil war and songs refered to the south as being in Dixi.  

I am sorry but the civil war in the states I have studied and is close to my heart as I would have supported the confederacy.  But its time that to keep the history and stop tryi ng to purge the south.

Ridiculous.

It's the same here in Bristol, for a few years now there's been a group of people demanding that the council change the name of the cities concert hall, just because it's named after Edward Colston, who made his fortune through the slave trade.

Yes, the slave trade was wrong, but it was in the 1800's, changing the halls name won't change anything, forget it and move on ffs.

They could always comply with the request....Lee is a good surname.. ;-)....I suppose that if they are going to all the trouble of changing the kids surname, then they could change her Christian name to General.. or Roberta E

It is a sad state when the the most sane potential for the White House is a grumpy old property developer with a poorly fitting wig, but that is where it goes after years of a government run by "Progressives"

Edited by Karl

It is a sad state when the the most sane potential for the White House is a grumpy old property developer with a poorly fitting wig, but that is where it goes after years of a government run by "Progressives"

Sane? Are we thinking about the same person? :D

I realise that the slave trade is wrong, but in truth the civil war was not fought over the slave trade this was one of the errors of the civil war history.   In truth it was fought over ecenomics.  LINCON  himself at one time admitted it was over ecenomics.  The simple fact was that the south was selling its cotton at better prices then the North would give to England.  The Northern Government replied by putting heavy taxes on these sales.

As for the slavery issue ,  the northen states or the union also had slaves.  It was long after the civil war ended when the southern slaves was freed that the union maintained their own slaves.  Even Lincon himself maintained his slaves long after the civil war and was one of the last to give up his slaves.  The slavery issue was one portrayed in order to hide the true reasons for the civil war.

But as for the oringinal post it was the fact that a teacher took it on their selves to ask parants to change her name as it was dixi.  

I realise that the slave trade is wrong, but in truth the civil war was not fought over the slave trade this was one of the errors of the civil war history.   In truth it was fought over ecenomics. 

Yup, the American civil war had bugger all to do with slavery.  The leaders of the north were just as bad when it came to slavery.  It's a lie but history is written by the victors as they say.

There has been a resurgence in interest in some of the southern states in declaring independence from the US recently, and there is an absolutely huge military exercise on over there at the moment to do with putting down a rebellion or independence movement.

My guess is that the banning of the flag thing is a lot more to do with the people at the top getting a bit jittery, and not some made-up nonsense about evil white people celebrating slavery.

Edited by Shires

Unfortunately it's a sign of the times where people are coerced in to thinking that everything around them is a dig at them, their nation, their religion, their culture or their race... etc etc

It appears that people have become stupidly over sensitised and take offence at the simplest of things, sounds like adulthood and maturity lessons are needed... 

Surprised that they haven't requested people with the surnames of Black, Brown or White change them as well...

Although I guess they haven't found an angle on the surname of Green yet.....

That teacher ought to be sacked for being so stupid, can they honestly believe that the teacher has the wherewithal to continue to teach in an unbiased and un-bigoted manner...

As a governor of a school here I would want that teacher to explain their actions and rationale as to why they thought it appropriate...

Unfortunately it's a sign of the times where people are coerced in to thinking that everything around them is a dig at them, their nation, their religion, their culture or their race... etc etc

It appears that people have become stupidly over sensitised and take offence at the simplest of things, sounds like adulthood and maturity lessons are needed... 

I read a post on another forum recently where someone called it "permanent adolescence" and I thought that summed it up nicely.

And while I'm on a rant, why is it that people seem to take offence about slavery originating in the UK and impacting the US and Caribbean Islands....

FFS.... Virtually all of the European nations were involved in slavery over the last 3-400 years+

What don't people get worked up about Egypt - who built the pyramids..? The Italians during the Roman empire, that was built by slaves...China, who had slaves for ever and a day and would geld male slaves as a matter of course... Arab, sea faring countries were prone to a bit of slavery as were African tribes (rather than countries as tribal loyalties dictated who was raiding and being raided), Brazil and other parts of South America built economies on slavery...

As a wild guess I think it would be very difficult to identify a single country globally where slavery hasn't been accepted at some stage over the eons...

It would appear that the propaganda is generated by people with a very restrictive view on history....

(Sorry Bill for the rant, back to topic and Dixi)

Absolutly. It was the way of life back then. Notably still done by the north Koreans in China I'm led to believe.

12 years a slave was an eyeopener for me.

I watched a slightly related movie the other day. (The Help 2011). If that movie is true, the stupidity of the middle class america is unreal.

And while I'm on a rant, why is it that people seem to take offence about slavery originating in the UK and impacting the US and Caribbean Islands....

FFS.... Virtually all of the European nations were involved in slavery over the last 3-400 years+

What don't people get worked up about Egypt - who built the pyramids..? The Italians during the Roman empire, that was built by slaves...China, who had slaves for ever and a day and would geld male slaves as a matter of course... Arab, sea faring countries were prone to a bit of slavery as were African tribes (rather than countries as tribal loyalties dictated who was raiding and being raided), Brazil and other parts of South America built economies on slavery...

As a wild guess I think it would be very difficult to identify a single country globally where slavery hasn't been accepted at some stage over the eons...

It would appear that the propaganda is generated by people with a very restrictive view on history....

(Sorry Bill for the rant, back to topic and Dixi)

total agreement with you on this.  the thing that drives me mad about this thing in the states is that the northern states still refuse to allow industry to move into the areas down south.  This in effect still holds the south to a ecenomical poverty in the main.  A survey was conducted on the top richest states in the USA and one southern state managed to get to 9th place the remainder was at the bottom of the scale.

When there is so much wrong with the world its a shame that some have a very blinded view on history,  rather then learning from the mistakes of the past and moving on

Bill and Shires, i wasn't meaning that the American Civil War had anything to do with slavery, i was just giving an example of people being "offended" by something that happened a long long time ago.

Yes, it seems that everybody these days needs to be offended by something.

A friend of Lindas informed us of what I think is terrible.  Her grandaughter was sent home with a letter from her teacher asking could a different surname could be used for her granddaughter,  her surname happens to be DIXI.   

It certainly looks like some are trying to purge the south of its history,  oh hang on its American history.   

Idiocy.  I'd move the child to a different school.  The teacher and / or those responsible for running the school should not be allowed to 'Educate' children at all.

I thought Political Correctness had peaked, and that common sense might be on the way back.  I guess not.

There has been a resurgence in interest in some of the southern states in declaring independence from the US recently, and there is an absolutely huge military exercise on over there at the moment to do with putting down a rebellion or independence movement.

There's a bit more to jade helm than this.

I have refrained from commenting on this thread because it does hit home.  First off, the south isn't all about redneck guys with Rebel Flags flying on their , pickup trucks.  Yes, there are a few, but before this battle flag issue came about I could have driven a 500 mile radius from my home and maybe seen one flag, now that is different, call us immature or whatever you want but it is the same rights everyone else seems to want that the people in the south want, freedom of speech. so now you have rebel flags flying all around, so they tried to get rid of one flag, and now they have thousands flying.  I have had a full size one in the bottom of my cupboard for probably 30 yrs, but I have never flown it out of respect of people that did say it offended them.  But every year a small battle flag is placed on my great great grandfather's grave, I believe he has the right to have it there because he fought in the Civil War to protect his home and family 

I agree on what Seesure said, people do need to research and learn about history more.  Being one of my hobbies is Genealogy I have gotten really interested in all sorts of history, you have to learn to help with your researching. In fact, the Irish and British were the first slaves brought to North America on slave ships, I am sure with my family I will find some were on ships being they were here in late 1600's and early 1700's.  But that was eons ago, and people cannot continue to hold grudges on what are ancestors did or didn't do, that is the past, we are suppose to learn from the past histories to not repeat the same mistakes, but now they want to remove part of our southern history, to me that is a slap in my ancestors's faces, to pretend that what they fought & died  for didn't happen.  The Civil War wasn't all about slavery, but most won't believe that. I to watched 12 years a slave and it breaks my heart to know that some went through all that, but I also know that wasn't  typical of that era, very few southern families owned slaves at all, only the wealthy could, in fact most of my ancestors worked along side of slaves in cotton and tobacco fields. so if only lets say 25 %  of the people owned slaves do you think the others would lay down their iives and fight a war for something they didn't even have? It was fought for tax reasons and their homeland. I know slavery is a terrible thing, and I wish it had never happened, but it has been going on since day one, and is still going on in parts of the world.  And on the " offending" problem which angers me the most is getting out of hand here in the states, it started years ago when certain people said that the 10 Commandments that were on some govt buildings offended them, now it seems people are just thinking of stuff they can say  offends them,  if something offends me, I just don't look at it, simple as that, I don't ask to take it down or remove it, because when we do that, we take away some of the rights from people that want to see it.   ok my rant is over, but I could probably go on and on about it because it irks me that people are such idiots thinking they can erase everything that may offend them.

Hi,

Problem is the media over sensationalise things, so if you don't have first hand experience you go on what you've been told.

We had better hope no one invents a time machine or these PC extremists will be going back to wipe out the unsavoury parts of history!

Cheers,

Gavin :)

Hi,

Problem is the media over sensationalise things, so if you don't have first hand experience you go on what you've been told.

We had better hope no one invents a time machine or these PC extremists will be going back to wipe out the unsavoury parts of history!

Cheers,

Gavin :)

That's Europe gone  :ph34r: But where, would those PC extremists be without Europe ? still living in some cave .... Moaning  about dinosaurs etc 

Carl

Edited by Carl-e34