Edpugh

E28 m535i tappetty valve noise and rubber doughnut

Gents, a couple of e28 conundrums for you:

1 - the old girl is making quite a noticeable tappety noise coming from the top of the engine (e28 M535i m30). It's not there all the time. Valve clearance where checked about 6 months ago. Do I?

- check clearances again?

- I've heard mention of changing oil grade as a solution to this well known problem

- could some sort of oil additive help?

apologies if there's already a thread on this ...

2 - rear output seal of 5 speed box is leaking so I"m going to change it. I'll change the rubber doughnut that connects to the drive shaft whilst I'm at it. However I can't find a part number of Real OEM. Does anyone have one and can you tell me where best to get this part?

thanks all

Re. the doughnut, I found All German Parts to be the best for Lemforder stuff last time I looked. 

Are you sure it's the output seal and not the selector shaft seal that's leaking?

Cheers,

Rob

Yes, definitely the output seal - I've had the car up on a ramp and you can see the leak coming from the seal. It's only a small leak mind.

Other than that, the gearbox is doing very well and like you said, it's transformed the car.

How's the M6 project?

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about a small leak.  Are you due a gearbox oil change anyway?  If so, I'm a big fan of Redline MT-90 in Getrag boxes like ours - just check the level once a year.  A little bit of oil goes a long way - like the leaking timing chain covers on all-but-one M30 I've ever seen!

Speaking of timing chains, just completed the chain replacement on the M6 yesterday, thanks for asking - putting cover back on today with hondabond in the corners.  Actually, I still need to install the top guide, but am still outraged that I'll have to take an angle grinder to it to make it fit (BMW only supply the twin-row piece now, which clashes with the front-most cam cover stud).

Cheers,

Rob