F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

On 23/09/2021 at 12:57, 535i Andrew said:

You know the rules.  Pics or you are telling fibs!:lol:

Prep work done ready for the ceramic coating. 

IMG_20210924_173633.jpg

Looks spanky new! Do you know what the paint code is for the alloys? I purchased a B39 Mineral Grey touch-up kit however the colour is way off on mine.

Finally got my rear in gear and got around to swapping out the rear shock gaitors and bump stops.

Simple enough job for an afternoon and having got 4 new CrossClimate+ fitted yesterday as well, it's been a satisfying 24hrs.

The pics show all the justification I needed... and the left side was twice as battereed!

Kit used: Meyle 314 740 0016 @23.26euro for 2 gaitors and stops

IMG20210925154130.jpg

IMG20210925161903.jpg

IMG20210830175031.jpg

Edited by HandyAndy_UK
Pic of old left side added

Downloaded and installed the 2022-1 NBT West Europe maps from the BMW app so all up to date.

My F10 530d is now 6 years old (5 and a half to me), I have been debating whether its time for something new but every time I start looking I never see anything that interests me as much as this one.   I do keep looking at G30's and more specifically G31's but as odd as it may sound I still prefer the F10 aesthetically in a lot of ways (not all), it has also just passed another M.O.T. without a single advisory (84k miles, 81k covered during my ownership) so guess I will stick with it for now.

28 minutes ago, JDR said:

Downloaded and installed the 2022-1 NBT West Europe maps from the BMW app so all up to date.

My F10 530d is now 6 years old (5 and a half to me), I have been debating whether its time for something new but every time I start looking I never see anything that interests me as much as this one.   I do keep looking at G30's and more specifically G31's but as odd as it may sound I still prefer the F10 aesthetically in a lot of ways (not all), it has also just passed another M.O.T. without a single advisory (84k miles, 81k covered during my ownership) so guess I will stick with it for now.

Know what you mean. Ive had my 530i for over six years and i keep finding myself looking at other cars especially as the wbac is 10.5k at the moment :blink: but g30/1s dont do it for me at all especially the dash and interior. Another f10 perhaps as i agree they look great.

Not sure where to go from here at all, so i keep it for now. Enjoy driving it, love the engine which is a peach imo and it does the family stuff perfectly. Maybe a freshen up on the suspection spend a few ££ and keep it another six years. Electric after that perhaps, but i dont do the mileage to justify it. Either do very short trips or massive ones. No daily commute, thankfully.

Happy days

Took my car above 85ish (per Speedo reading, accidently of course) and noticed a fair amount of front tyre noise. 

Car felt solid. No vibration. Just comes on at that speed.

I've recently (4 weeks a go) changed the front tires to Goodyear excellence RFTs. I noticed they had fitted 98y. So pretty solid side walls. My rears are the same, but I think 96y. I did the years in Feb I think.

Could be bearings, but it defo wasn't doing it before the tire change, and only just had the open road to hit that speed (by mistake of course :-) )

I'm booked in for a brake fluid change, and want them to check this other noise (scratching mentioned on another thread) so might see what BMW say.  I imagine this sort of investigation is a pain. But they can at least get it on the ramp and confirm bearings are good.

@Skynet5, to identify front bearing noise, the easiest way is the stirp off the caliper and spin up the hub.  It should be silent and not sound like this.

If you don't want to strip it down the easiest way to listen for a grumble is to drive on a quiet road with the windows down and listen from an increased noise from the front wheel on the opposite to which you are steering. 

A right hand bend will load up the nearside bearing making it louder and unload the offside bearing making it quieter.  

A left hand bend will load up the offside bearing making it louder and unload the nearside bearing making it quieter.

Currently sat in the passenger footwell trying to extract fuse14 so I can get my central locking working again and cursing the bastard who thought it would be a good idea to put the fusebox in such an idiotic location :evil:

Finally done

Trick? Throw away the pathetic plastic fuse puller and use a proper set of needle nose pliers. Then use your sausage fingers to ram the new fuse home to then start to wonder why the fuse went in the first instance

17 hours ago, apples12 said:

Finally done

Trick? Throw away the pathetic plastic fuse puller and use a proper set of needle nose pliers. Then use your sausage fingers to ram the new fuse home to then start to wonder why the fuse went in the first instance

Happened to me few months back got long fuse removal tool off fleabay left in car with spare fuses

MoT passed with just an advisory on rear inner tyre wear, but should be ok for a few thousand miles. Similar pattern but not as excessive as my E61.

Celebrated by filling up on Esso super unleaded on the way home. Strange to drive straight up to a pump without queuing!

Had the rear door cards off today as noticed the rear footwells were a little bit damp.  The membrane had come away at the top and bottom corners.  Have stuck them back down, but the car is booked in to have new membranes fitted in a couple of weeks.