F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Had an oil & filter change and brake fluid change at the Indy.

Last oil was May 2020 and only done 5000 miles in that time but I like to change it every year. Car now just short of 80000 miles.

Rear brake pads say 3000 miles left but Indy says the pads are half worn. Had this last time in that the idrive/sensor keeps changing the distance left - so much so there was another 10000 miles in them before changing.

5 hours ago, E39mad said:

Had this last time in that the idrive/sensor keeps changing the distance left

I've had the same lately. The idrive was saying 3400 miles left on the rear pads but that has increased to 3500 recently. The pads have done around 51000 miles up to now and visually have lots of meat left.

5 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

I've had the same lately. The idrive was saying 3400 miles left on the rear pads but that has increased to 3500 recently. The pads have done around 51000 miles up to now and visually have lots of meat left.

Mine are doing exactly the same! Been on 3000 miles for the last 4000 miles lol 

I'll check in the morning the iDrive if it's front or rear pads on mine, but the distance remaining has went from 2100 miles in March 2020 around the time I got the brake fluid service done to 2500 miles when I got the oil service done at the end of last month. Independent garage reckoned I had plenty of life left on them depending on if my mileage picks up. 

I've been noticing a slight juddering  when braking recently. Last night when braking harder than usual it was quite pronounced so after finishing work around midnight tonight and finding the nearby by-pass deserted I performed the bedding-in process as detailed here...

https://mossmotoring.com/bedding-in-your-brakes/

... which I remembered reading about some time ago on this very forum. 

It seems to have worked pretty well. Brakes are nice and smooth again with no hint of juddering :lol:;)B)

What did I do with my F11 today?

Apparently around 850km between 1800 UK and 0600 DE.... Took a little over half a tank mostly done cruising at 100kmh and enjoying the lousy weather which only dried up around 20 before I got here.

Oh well, back to work tomorrow...

On 13/09/2021 at 01:39, Cadwell Parker said:

so after finishing work around midnight tonight and finding the nearby by-pass deserted I performed the bedding-in process as detailed here...

Police Scotland wish to trace the driver of a dark estate BMW seen driving erratically westbound on the A75 in the early hours on Monday 13th September. 

Anyone with any information should call Police Scotland on 101 and quote ref P0090130921:lol:

12 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Police Scotland wish to trace the driver of a dark estate BMW seen driving erratically westbound on the A75 in the early hours on Monday 13th September. 

Anyone with any information should call Police Scotland on 101 and quote ref P0090130921:lol:

Lol, there was nobody around,  no one saw me, it wasn't me, I wasn't there :ph34r::D:lol:

On 9/4/2021 at 7:02 PM, Munzy123 said:

Lovely!

What colour/code is that wheel paint please?

I have a Space Grey F11 and fancy darker wheels. I got them refurbed last year OEM silver, kerbed them and want to try something different :) 

Not sure, sadly. They were already refurbished in that colour when I bought them. 

Stupidly, I kerbed the passenger side front wheel twice yesterday :sad:

Dropped the F11 off today for a few jobs. When I get it back tomorrow it'll have 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s fitted, Hunter Road Force balanced and full suspension alignment. I've got a nearly new Kia Picanto GT line to play with as courtesy car which is interesting for a change but a long way from a 530d. Looking forward to fresh rubber tomorrow.

17 hours ago, DarenF said:

Nice rubber.  Did you BMW and XL ZP?

They're extra load yes but not BMW labeled. I went for non run flats. Picked the car up earlier and just drove 12 miles in slow traffic to get to work so not had the chance to fully evaluate them yet but initial signs are very positive. I'll try to get round to a full report soon.

4 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

They're extra load yes but not BMW labeled. I went for non run flats. Picked the car up earlier and just drove 12 miles in slow traffic to get to work so not had the chance to fully evaluate them yet but initial signs are very positive. I'll try to get round to a full report soon.

So not BMW and not ZP, were they a bargain then?

On 9/13/2021 at 1:39 AM, Cadwell Parker said:

I've been noticing a slight juddering  when braking recently. Last night when braking harder than usual it was quite pronounced so after finishing work around midnight tonight and finding the nearby by-pass deserted I performed the bedding-in process as detailed here...

... which I remembered reading about some time ago on this very forum. 

It seems to have worked pretty well. Brakes are nice and smooth again with no hint of juddering :lol:;)B)

Whats does DO NOT DRAG mean?

3 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

Whats does DO NOT DRAG mean?

I think they mean make sure you take your foot off the brake in between slow-downs. 

Realised I've done 12200 miles since my last oil change in April. Glad to have found a spare oil filter hiding in the garage so have fitted that along with some fresh oil. I'd normally do a change at 10000 miles but have been busy with stuff and seem to have taken my eye off the ball rather. 

Had a poke about the front underside of mine in advance of doing the wheel bearings to see where the tension arm bolts to the subframe which needs to come out of the hub atleast to access the wheel bearing retaining bolts. And generally just be nosey when I had an hours tinkering time.

AB954FC2-561E-46AA-BE60-B358D35BD926.jpg

Took the underbelly off. No oil stains just silt where the windscreen drainage points drain on to them.  Top right corner of the picture above is below the yellow grommet. 

79025A67-75A7-42B6-9BF9-491B412702E9.jpg

Confirmed my suspicions about detecting a bit of play in the front offside lower tension arm, bush has a split in it.

New pair to go in when I do the bearings.

4C5DB01F-64E1-4337-9B81-AF06A4263955.jpg

Also found access to the water pump (N55 weakness), which needs the front roll bar dropping to get a bit more access.

250E7E9C-8829-4DAE-A17C-0FB3DB305081.jpg

And this is what the Electric power steering motor looks like, just behind the roll bar.

Have my 5 running smoothly again, which I'm very happy about considering the hassle I've had over the last 2 weeks.

• All tyres swapped over for Good year F1 Eagle  Asymmetric 5's
  • All wheels refurbed with Bm center caps and M badges replaced
  • Hunter balanced all round
  • new Front disc and pads 

Next is a full paint correction along with ceramic protection being applied to body and wheels. 

Happy days