Jump to content
F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Caesar said:

I admire you Marko; my three always have a right whinge when I bundle them into the boot. 

Have a good break.

Tbh a touring would be perfect for me and mine ....

 

 

Next purchase maybe :rolleyes: flick though classifieds later B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things are bearing up well today for my F10.

 

00B31DAD-28CF-4D18-8DAE-B68D86E7A507.jpg

 

Couple of new front wheel FAG bearings were delivered today.


 

 

Just need to work out what tool I need for the new bolts

 

0BDB1FD1-0517-4052-9F54-950B2A321034.jpg

 

Torx T60 is a bit loose, and the shape is subtly different.  Its either a Torx plus or Ribe fitting.  Neither of which I have of course!

 

And no you can't re-use the old bolts as the thread pitch (the bearing body is what the bolt screws into) is 1.25mm for the new ones and 1.5mm for the old ones.

 

Old bolts are spline M16 I think which I have a bit to remove them.  As I bought them especially for this job but are now useless to put the thing back together.

 

Thank you so much BMW :lol:

 

Edit

 

Torx plus, I'm fairly sure

 

https://www.pemnet.com/design_info/torx/

 

Edited by 535i Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Things are bearing up well today for my F10.

 

00B31DAD-28CF-4D18-8DAE-B68D86E7A507.jpg

 

Couple of new front wheel FAG bearings were delivered today.


 

 

Just need to work out what tool I need for the new bolts

 

0BDB1FD1-0517-4052-9F54-950B2A321034.jpg

 

Torx T60 is a bit loose, and the shape is subtly different.  Its either a Torx plus or Ribe fitting.  Neither of which I have of course!

 

And no you can't re-use the old bolts as the thread pitch (the bearing body is what the bolt screws into) is 1.25mm for the new ones and 1.5mm for the old ones.

 

Old bolts are spline M16 I think which I have a bit to remove them.  As I bought them especially for this job but are now useless to put the thing back together.

 

Thank you so much BMW :lol:

 

Edit

 

Torx plus, I'm fairly sure

 

https://www.pemnet.com/design_info/torx/

 

I ended up just buying new bolts in the correct thread pitch from BMW, same t60 head as the ones that came off that had a coarser thread pitch.

 

Lots of new bits today

 

1. New belt tensioner installed (gates)

2. New water pump and seals etc (febi)

3. New accessory belt (gates)

4. New crank pulley (corteco)

5. Oil and filter (shell + Mann)

6. Mot with flying colours

 

Now the dilemma over whether I get a preventative chain and tensioners done or just leave it be at 180k miles and continue to rack up 20k miles.

 

Still to do

1. Brake fluid change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today i swapped out my failing NBT unit for NBT Evo that was an experience i dont want o to too soon again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally replaced the scabby style 433 alloys with a freshly refurbished set of style 351's instead.

 

And replaced the front discs/pads/sensor but the car decided to eat the sensor cable.

 

IMG_0385.thumb.JPEG.03aafa48c4b5a29274feb833443ec5cf.JPEGIMG_0386.thumb.JPEG.1c355d4ea8ce904957eebb6aabfbfe2f.JPEG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mullinsj08 said:

Finally replaced the scabby style 433 alloys with a freshly refurbished set of style 351's instead.

 

And replaced the front discs/pads/sensor but the car decided to eat the sensor cable.

 

IMG_0385.thumb.JPEG.03aafa48c4b5a29274feb833443ec5cf.JPEGIMG_0386.thumb.JPEG.1c355d4ea8ce904957eebb6aabfbfe2f.JPEG


looks lovely


I love the wheels but my f10 is space grey so wouldnt show the wheels as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2021 at 21:33, Taxboy said:

My boot release is looking scruffy. How do you replace it please
 

Using a plastic trim tool I prised up the door sill trim panel to allow me to unscrew the panel that the boot release switch is mounted on. You need to unscrew the bonnet release handle first. Prize out trim panel to get to the back side to replace switch. 
 

image.jpg
 

Can’t remember if the screws are Torx or Philips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Using a plastic trim tool I prised up the door sill trim panel to allow me to unscrew the panel that the boot release switch is mounted on. You need to unscrew the bonnet release handle first. Prize out trim panel to get to the back side to replace switch. 
 
image.jpg&key=37ad2b0b83cb8efa40d1308274424488392fc53c7144c577480a209e648a0ff7
 
Can’t remember if the screws are Torx or Philips. 
Many thanks for that. I've got a selection of screwdriver bits so shouldn't be a problem

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2021 at 11:27 AM, mullinsj08 said:

Finally replaced the scabby style 433 alloys with a freshly refurbished set of style 351's instead.

 

And replaced the front discs/pads/sensor but the car decided to eat the sensor cable.

 

IMG_0385.thumb.JPEG.03aafa48c4b5a29274feb833443ec5cf.JPEGIMG_0386.thumb.JPEG.1c355d4ea8ce904957eebb6aabfbfe2f.JPEG

 

Lovely!

What colour/code is that wheel paint please?

 

I have a Space Grey F11 and fancy darker wheels. I got them refurbed last year OEM silver, kerbed them and want to try something different :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Using a plastic trim tool I prised up the door sill trim panel to allow me to unscrew the panel that the boot release switch is mounted on. You need to unscrew the bonnet release handle first. Prize out trim panel to get to the back side to replace switch. 
 

image.jpg
 

Can’t remember if the screws are Torx or Philips. 

 

I did this today inspired by @marko530d 's post.
No  need to remove the panel - literally just gently prised on right side of the switch then worked my way around, unplugged then reverse for the new one.

The easiest and quickest job I've ever done on a BMW :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replaced both rear air springs.

 

I used my Foxwell NT530 to release air from the old ones but even after 3 runs they were still pretty much fully inflated.

 

Decided just to stick a Stanley knife into it and made the job way quicker! Seems a bit captain caveman but I made a small hole at first in case sudden pressure loss would harm something.

 

Very satisfying to have two new air springs at the back.

 

(were £25 each from eBay - I usually put OEM or better on my car but £320 for the Arnotts which still may only last a couple of years is not good maths in my head. I know they are a crucial part of the car but I had a right good compare of an OEM next to an old eBay special and there was virtually no noticeable difference. If anything the rubber of the main chamber seemed thicker and more "rubbery" than the BMW one..)

Edited by Munzy123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well  just a follow-on to the EGR valve problem 'coughing' when cold I was having.... after a few weeks of this it has now decided to behave once more. Part of me is wondering if it was merely back into a 'learning' mode after a reset the adaptations around a month ago.

Now it's been smooth as you like all of last week on chilly mornings, all throttle positions including very light pedal - this was where the 'coughing' was most evident when cold.

The oil temperature is coming up to normal nicely and all seems well.

 

I'm back in blightly for this year's MoT so it got a nice run across europe on saturday... a 5+ hour run which by the time I got to Rotterdam brought in a combined max range just under 1500km to a full tank, so I'm happy economy is good.

 

Obviously I'll continue to monitor it and I have a new EGR sat on my kitchen table if needed once I head back, but it's looking like all is well again.

My only worry for the test is if the tyres are good as I was forced to retain my existing, 4 year old CrossClimates after the tyreshop got the wrong size delivered last tuesday. They're not down the the wear bars yet, but I'd still have preferred to be presenting with new boots. 

Edited by HandyAndy_UK
crippy spollung

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Well  just a follow-on to the EGR valve problem 'coughing' when cold I was having.... after a few weeks of this it has now decided to behave once more. Part of me is wondering if it was merely back into a 'learning' mode after a reset the adaptations around a month ago.

Now it's been smooth as you like all of last week on chilly mornings, all throttle positions including very light pedal - this was where the 'coughing' was most evident when cold.

The oil temperature is coming up to normal nicely and all seems well.

 

I'm back in blightly for this year's MoT so it got a nice run across europe on saturday... a 5+ hour run which by the time I got to Rotterdam brought in a combined max range just under 1500km to a full tank, so I'm happy economy is good.

 

Obviously I'll continue to monitor it and I have a new EGR sat on my kitchen table if needed once I head back, but it's looking like all is well again.

My only worry for the test is if the tyres are good as I was forced to retain my existing, 4 year old CrossClimates after the tyreshop got the wrong size delivered last tuesday. They're not down the the wear bars yet, but I'd still have preferred to be presenting with new boots. 

 

Andy

Glad youre smooth again but are you saying you had 1500km from a single tank full?

OMG!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Km travelled + calculated remaining range topped out at 1497km.

If I hadn't cruised at 120kmh through Germany it would probably have been higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 97suited said:

Went for a drive....

 

I've done less than 3000 miles in the last year due to working from home, this was a week away in Scotland.

20210905_164421.jpg

Nice...I just did a 500 mile road trip in my 528i F11...averaged 42.8mpg (calculated on the road trip app, car was saying 40.3mpg on the above screen) on the entire journey. Was a week away with my little lad we visited a old friend who lives near Bromyard in Herefordshire then off up to Alton Towers...then back home to Hindhead Surrey.....what an absolute pleasure to drive and it has the optional lane 1 option so it wasnt stuck in the middle lane too! :) Also just paid off the finance on it too so the big blue beast is all mine now too!  

C4F340B1-5220-40F5-9DF9-F745A488E2C2_1_105_c.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, nick_mcuk said:

and it has the optional lane 1 option so it wasnt stuck in the middle lane too! :) Also just paid off the finance on it too so the big blue beast is all mine now too!  

 

 

Mine comes with the Lane 1 option too! Seems so rare an option these days.  I do find it the fastest lane though :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha I might have done some of that on the m25 last night. 
 

I do like confusing the mortals but being courteous and using my indicators too :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.