F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Parked up for a week as I was away. Coming home had a midnight blast on the motorway in the small hours and the first time really stretching the cars legs in a long time - reminds me how good the n53 engine is. Its not a common engine in the f10 but in 272ps at least its a great match esp with the zf8. Wish mine had sport auto as I heard the latest bmw software does rev matching in sport+ mode.

Edit also bought some cheapo ebay wheel centre badges as my 9 year old originals are falling to bits. Under a fiver for four, and they look as well made as the originals. Which is not great, but for a fiver who cares.

Edited by bmwmike

2 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Parked up for a week as I was away. Coming home had a midnight blast on the motorway in the small hours and the first time really stretching the cars legs in a long time - reminds me how good the n53 engine is. Its not a common engine in the f10 but in 272ps at least its a great match esp with the zf8. Wish mine had sport auto as I heard the latest bmw software does rev matching in sport+ mode.

My F11 528i has sport+ mode and its absolutely brutal how quick it is considering its an absolute barge of an estate car.....had it to 150 (on a private road) and it was still pulling like a train and its top end is limited to 155!!

31 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Wish mine had sport auto as I heard the latest bmw software does rev matching in sport+ mode.

Tell me more, is there an update to the 'boxes software available from BMW then?

I can't think the last time I drove it in Sport + mode.  I have the Sports auto so curious to know more.....

Just now, 535i Andrew said:

Tell me more, is there an update to the 'boxes software available from BMW then?

I can't think the last time I drove it in Sport + mode.  I have the Sports auto so curious to know more.....

I think the sports+ only comes with a option....otherwise its eco-pr/comfort/sport.

To be honest I had my mate program mine in so it starts as default in EcoPro :)

3 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

+1

I dont have any info other than I read on a forum somewhere a week or so ago, specific to the n53 there was an update around 2014 which boosted fueling mid-range to make more torque (moved the homogenous mode lower in rev range i suppose) and also rev matching. This was a chap who had a n53 528i iirc. I was just googling random n53 stuff so dont have any other info im afraid, or whether it applies to other engines.

Does the n55 rev match in downshifts in sport+ mode?  As i say i dont have SAT so dont know if it is standard or not, or even BS on the part of the poster I read.

edit to add link https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882535

Also seems it wasnt 2014 but earlier. Mine is a 530i and feels pretty strong mid range anyway, so I wouldnt be back to BMW for this myself.  And maybe my non SAT rev matches on down shifts anyway, how could i tell? if i down shift its smooth,so i guess it must be rev matching - never really thought about it tbh.

Edited by bmwmike

1 hour ago, nick_mcuk said:

My F11 528i has sport+ mode and its absolutely brutal how quick it is considering its an absolute barge of an estate car.....had it to 150 (on a private road) and it was still pulling like a train and its top end is limited to 155!!

Yours is a n20 engine i think?  Never driven one tbh, but heard good things :)

70-90+ on probably the same private road as you is very quick in my n53 530i provided you are in the right gear for the power band. Sounds good too.

1 minute ago, bmwmike said:

Yours is a n20 engine i think?  Never driven one tbh, but heard good things :)

70-90+ on probably the same private road as you is very quick in my n53 530i provided you are in the right gear for the power band. Sounds good too.

I dont know the Engine code but its a 2016 F11 528i Touring with the 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder engine and its an absolute peach!

3 hours ago, nick_mcuk said:

Pilkington make glass for 95% of the cars out there....I am still struggling how even it was thought replacing a screen would invalidate a warranty frankly.

By the way you can stipulate with the glass fitters that you want OE glass used and it will be done.

Just didn't know if it would or not. So thought I'd ask/check.

Never had a windscreen replaced/nor owned a BMW let alone insured warranty.

I've had the BMW warranty for years since the original warranty ran out. New turbo. New telematics box. OS Track rod end and a few other bits and always a comparable courtesy car. What's not to like?

1 hour ago, bmwmike said:

I dont have any info other than I read on a forum somewhere

Yeah but a lot of what you read on BMW forums is put there by idiots like me..... :lol:

2 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Does the n55 rev match in downshifts in sport+ mode?  As i say i dont have SAT so dont know if it is standard or not, or even BS on the part of the poster I read.

I have to admit, I only use Sport+ in manual mode (flappy paddles) so I couldn't tell you if it revs up to match the downshifts, can't say I pay much attention as I'm only  using Sport+ mode when I'm ahem, pressing on, so my eyes are firmly looking ahead....  I think it must do as I get a bit of a burble on the downshifts so that will be it up revving the engine to match the expected rpms.

The LCi cars had a cleverer bit of software in the autoboxes to look at shift patterns over ones our age, perhaps that's what you are thinking off?

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

I have to admit, I only use Sport+ in manual mode (flappy paddles) so I couldn't tell you if it revs up to match the downshifts, can't say I pay much attention as I'm only  using Sport+ mode when I'm ahem, pressing on, so my eyes are firmly looking ahead....  I think it must do as I get a bit of a burble on the downshifts so that will be it up revving the engine to match the expected rpms.

The LCi cars had a cleverer bit of software in the autoboxes to look at shift patterns over ones our age, perhaps that's what you are thinking off?

I had to dash into Farnham to make an emergency appointment at the opticians and on the way back gave the sport+ down shift thing a go and on my 2016 F11 528i it bloody well does the downshift blip!!

Well it was yesterday actually, but I finally got around to this year's oil and filters change.

Another 6.5l of LiquiMoly 4100 5w40 swapped out... Mehle oil and air filters likewise.... and when I can get off my tail-end, I'll do the cabin filters too. Maybe later as it's a lovely sunny morgen.

Good time to check the level from yesterday and top-up if required.

Time to tackle the shockingly awful base audio setup in the car. With only 4 x mids to handle mid and highs, the car is seriously lacking in the audio department.

Even my Hyundai Santa Fe 2006 had a standard factory installed amp and had much better audio range. I'm no audiophile but I do like to listen to decent sounding tunes in the car, but also budget-conscious as I don't want to shell out £100's on an upgrade. Will change the front/rear speakers only and go from there.

I have ordered the Match MS 42C-BMW.1 front kit (2 x mids, 2 x tweeters, 2 x crossovers) which is meant to be plug and play and has improved the sound significantly according to other installers. - £120

A set of Powerbass S-4002 - 4" 2-Way Coaxial for the rear - this includes the tweeters so should improve the audio range above the factory ones overall - £35

10cm 4" Front / Rear Door Speaker Adaptor For BMW X3 2006-2010 - £10

BMW 5 SERIES F10 F11 2010 ONWARDS SPEAKER ADAPTER CABLE LEAD - £8

Question re the door pillar tweeter covers - I've read on other posts that the part numbers are 51337182013 and 51337182014 BUT, when I look online it mentions:

For vehicles with HiFi speaker system (0676) = not available and Harman / Kardon Surround Sound System (0688) = not available and Bang & Olufsen High End Surround Sound (06F2) = not available

£13.36 each

It seems to me these are the standard blank covers, same as the ones I currently have - can someone please confirm? I do see 51337275779 which mentions:

For vehicles with HiFi speaker system (0676) = available and Harman / Kardon Surround Sound System (0688) = not available and Bang & Olufsen High End Surround Sound (06F2) = not available

£22.95 each

So just need these two parts and I'm good to go, will let you know how it goes.

3 hours ago, fifika4074 said:

Question re the door pillar tweeter covers - I've read on other posts that the part numbers are 51337182013 and 51337182014 BUT, when I look online it mentions:

For vehicles with HiFi speaker system (0676) = not available and Harman / Kardon Surround Sound System (0688) = not available and Bang & Olufsen High End Surround Sound (06F2) = not available

£13.36 each

These 2 numbers are for the blank base model speaker system

3 hours ago, fifika4074 said:

It seems to me these are the standard blank covers, same as the ones I currently have - can someone please confirm? I do see 51337275779 which mentions:

For vehicles with HiFi speaker system (0676) = available and Harman / Kardon Surround Sound System (0688) = not available and Bang & Olufsen High End Surround Sound (06F2) = not available

£22.95 each

So just need these two parts and I'm good to go, will let you know how it goes.

Front door Tweeter trim cover for your application with a tweeter for an F10 - 51337275779 (LH) and 51337275780 (RH) found here (item 20): (Same part found on LCI cars)

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Edited by Matthew Ashton

that's what I thought, thanks for confirming!

I see the B&O branded covers are £280 EACH for a bit of plastic trim with a logo!

For vehicles with HiFi speaker system (0676) = not available and Harman / Kardon Surround Sound System (0688) = not available and Bang & Olufsen High End Surround Sound (06F2) = available

2 hours ago, fifika4074 said:

that's what I thought, thanks for confirming!

I see the B&O branded covers are £280 EACH for a bit of plastic trim with a logo!

For vehicles with HiFi speaker system (0676) = not available and Harman / Kardon Surround Sound System (0688) = not available and Bang & Olufsen High End Surround Sound (06F2) = available

The B&O covers include the tweeter and are around £85

I see, I'm looking at the wrong site then :blink:

https://bmwsupply.co.uk/part/details?series=f10n&typ=5e51&og=07&hg=51&bt=51_9119&view=btdetail

Do I just call the nearest service centre and order them for collection? The official online site is down and points to ebay or Amazon where the parts are not available.

Edited by fifika4074

12 hours ago, fifika4074 said:

Do I just call the nearest service centre and order them for collection? The official online site is down and points to ebay or Amazon where the parts are not available.

Ask for a quote from Cotswold BMW - through this forum - Cotswold BMW - BMW 5 Series Owners Board

As the wife had done an online Tesco shop, I didn't even get to take mine out at the weekend on its usual once a week supermarket trip, but instead I got to pick the wife up after dropping her car off for a service and MOT.

By the time I'd got home, the mpg had managed to get as high as 28.3!  I haven't seen mpg like that since 2019!

AC6F2EA2-7470-4482-80C4-EF10A5BF23B7.jpg

Windscreen replaced. Left him to it and spied from the window.

All seemed to be going well and smooth (impressive process), then he banged the top of the windscreen with his fist at the end a few times, first and only bit that seemed all inelegant.

The glass is Fuyao.

Only minor gripe is the weather seal isn't fully flush against the roof and comes away a little.  

IMG_20210810_142311.thumb.jpg.ba1aff56071f94385572875af402415b.jpg

IMG_20210810_142322.thumb.jpg.1d5508296d598b065a9348113dddaedf.jpg

Edited by Skynet5

47 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

Windscreen replaced. Left him to it and spied from the window.

All seemed to be going well and smooth (impressive process), then he banged the top of the windscreen with his fist at the end a few times, first and only bit that seemed all inelegant.

The glass is Fuyao.

Only minor gripe is the weather seal isn't fully flush against the roof and comes away a little.  

IMG_20210810_142311.thumb.jpg.ba1aff56071f94385572875af402415b.jpg

IMG_20210810_142322.thumb.jpg.1d5508296d598b065a9348113dddaedf.jpg

Not a minor gripe at all me thinks