F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

10 hours ago, fifika4074 said:

wanted to change the vanity mirror lights, can someone please confirm the bulb size/type I need? I can't make out the writing on the bulb, too small for my eyes!

See pic

It is bulb number 5 - (T5 12V 2,3W) - Found in this page in Realoem - RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

15 hours ago, fifika4074 said:

finally got round to replacing the park brake button, note there are 2 types, short prong and long prong so you need to check and make sure your order the right switch!

Have you got a link to what you bought?

The one I replaced the original with doesn't have quite as good a "window" for the red LED to be emitted thru, but yours looks much better than my replacement.

14 hours ago, fifika4074 said:

wanted to change the vanity mirror lights, can someone please confirm the bulb size/type I need? I can't make out the writing on the bulb, too small for my eyes!

See pic

20210802_211432.jpg

When it's that small try taking a pic of the writing with your cell then zoom in the pic to enlarge the writing

Grille change from chrome to black, makes a huge difference. Lighting not great, as it took a while to do the job after work.

Even with the screws removed from the top to help get in behind the grille it was still quite tricky. I can't understand how the guys do it on youtube by just yanking the covers off!

20210802_193955.jpg

20210802_202902.jpg

after two new rears a couple of months a go from 2 nails (1 I'm sure was there when I bought it 15 months before, and 1 acquired just before I replaced) I have just had to do the front two on Monday as I had a screw right on the side after going to the local tip. Annoying because the front tyres had only done 22k miles and had a fair amount of tread left on them.  

Then today....I have a stone smash and crack my screen.  Non-repairable..so insurer is sending out for a replacement on Tuesday. 

£430 on tyres..£75 excess for the screen.

Joys.

28 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

after two new rears a couple of months a go from 2 nails (1 I'm sure was there when I bought it 15 months before, and 1 acquired just before I replaced) I have just had to do the front two on Monday as I had a screw right on the side after going to the local tip. Annoying because the front tyres had only done 22k miles and had a fair amount of tread left on them.  

Then today....I have a stone smash and crack my screen.  Non-repairable..so insurer is sending out for a replacement on Tuesday. 

£430 on tyres..£75 excess for the screen.

Joys.

I would be writing to the council. Unlikely to get  compensation but it may prompt them to sweep up more often.

I got my first flat tyre in about 10 years. Luckily repairable so not much of an issur.

Had a cracked screen last year. I was a bit worried about the quality of the work (sensors  HUD, etc) but it all worked out fine. 

Just remember to ensure they have the correct screen for your car. I have HUD which has an additional coating I believe. 

42 minutes ago, Caesar said:

About the nail picked up at the tip...

Always fills me with dread going to the tip, that my tyres will pick up a nail/screw.  I got this one on the way home from the tip a few years ago.

image.jpg

I've been known to pick them up when I see them and throw them into the nearest skip when I'm there on one of my frequent diy visits......

553DA941-498B-4EBA-A308-759A683C2416.jpg

I'm definitely reducing my visits to the tip. I go frequently partly because it's so close to my house to nip round and dump stuff. 

Not anymore, I'll be compressing everything into the wheelie bins best I can haha.

Not too fussed about the windscreen now I've got over the shock of it all. The screen had a few marks in my line of sight so at least it will be like new. Never had a screen crack before that needed even a fix in 24 years of motoring so I guess I'm due one.

Im with AXA and simply filled out a form on line and booked in, all cobranded with autoglass.

My car has nothing extra, just heated and auto wipe like I guess all 5 series. I hear I won't get a BMW branded screen but it's all pilkington anyway so I'm not fussed.

Just a thought. I have BMW insured warranty. I imagine that going via autoglass is going to invalidate some part of my warranty. Maybe I should give them a call.

AXA are pretty clear that not going via their provider they will only stump up £100 of the bill, which I imagine would be 500+ for a BMW fitted screen.

2 minutes ago, Caesar said:

This is the screen I had replaced by Autoglass if it helps.

20210805_175029.jpg

Thanks mate. Yeah I have pilkington, with a little BMW logo. Don't care about the logo, as long as the screen is OEM quality & standard. Which they say it is.

Phoned BMW insured. Lady was pretty sure it would be fine, but she wanted to put me through to claims to double check. They are closed.

I don't see an issue. They want my money for warranty right ?

2 hours ago, Caesar said:

Pilkington could well be OEM from what I've read but I'm not 100% sure. This thread is interesting; one fitter suggests specifically asking Autoglass for OEM.

Actually I missed that in your pic. You got BMW branded pilkington. Did you ask, or is that just what you got? I'm with AXA insurance.

I might message them tomorrow and ask if I can have BMW OEM.  Sounds like it will be a bit of back and forth to make it happen.  I doubt they would not fit pilkington glass, as I doubt anyone else makes it for the F10. All will come from the same mould. The question is whether the quality is binned and the best units go to the manufacturers with the other okish ones go to repairers.

I didn't ask for BMW OEM. I'm with Direct Line which directed me to the Autoglass website and I arranged everything on line. I did ring Autoglass to check it would be HUD specific but didn't ask for a BMW branded screen. Worth calling them to check. Hope it all works out for you.

11 hours ago, Caesar said:

I did ring Autoglass to check it would be HUD specific but didn't ask for a BMW branded screen. 

That might be why you've got a genuine one.  It's such an important thing so perhaps you got genuine one to keep it all working like it should.

You've got HUD, bammy jugger! :lol:

I phoned BMW. They didn't really care. Basically said as long as it's installed and everything is working as it should it won't affect the policy. If something isn't right it's for them to fix.

If it works and something goes wrong in the future then it'll be covered by the insured warranty.

He also pretty much said that it all comes from the same factory and it's just a stamp in the corner for production line cars.

Just now, Skynet5 said:

I phoned BMW. They didn't really care. Basically said as long as it's installed and everything is working as it should it won't affect the policy. If something isn't right it's for them to fix.

If it works and something goes wrong in the future then it'll be covered by the insured warranty.

He also pretty much said that it all comes from the same factory and it's just a stamp in the corner for production line cars.

Pilkington make glass for 95% of the cars out there....I am still struggling how even it was thought replacing a screen would invalidate a warranty frankly.

By the way you can stipulate with the glass fitters that you want OE glass used and it will be done.

1 hour ago, Skynet5 said:

Its once parts have had the BMW roundel applied to them the price increases or when its in a cardboard box with a BMW roundel on it that bumps the price up.

Lemforder tension arms for my F10 were £47 each, I shudder to link what the same bits with a BMW roundel on them would cost.