F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

3 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Well given I'm still getting random 'coughing' when cold, I've splashed out and ordered a new EGR valve.

Tried cleaning the existing one a couple of weekends ago and greasing the actuating mech, but to no avail.

Interesting. I get that occasionally, within 2 mins of starting the engine. Mine is a petrol n53, but it has a EGR. Wonder if thats the same thing. Its literally a single jolt and its done; cough is a good description. 

Nowt done on my F10 but got my automotive fix today helping my good friend and neighbour, @vpcaptain change the plugs on his E87 after it felt like they had been welded into the head in an effort to cure a slight stutter.

C1-C664-F0-2399-43-D4-A8-EE-1-B5-AE12-ED

But Rob reading the above couple of ^^posts^^ I wonder if it’s worth stripping and cleaning your EGR too before tackling your Nox?

Thanks andrew, appreciate the second opinion on the welded in plugs, turned out the Indy had fitted Bosch ZGR6STE2 which are not approved by BMW only the NGKZKBR7A-HTU. Amazed the Bosch ones even worked to be honest.

car pulls better for first 5-10 mins but then stutters again with the dreaded NOX sensor looking as though it’s not functioning correctly and the car gets stuck in rich homogenous operation mode. 

78F7E295-94C7-4E29-9C59-152B2AE982E9.jpeg

941E0BA7-C58C-4DA8-B04C-EBD7DE0525B9.jpeg

Edited by vpcaptain
Pics added

If cleaning the egr valve doesn’t improve matters will price up a new one. Approx £115 

Edited by vpcaptain

It’s on the back of the engine 3 new o rings required on refitting according to TIS, so a trip to the stealer for those 24 and 25mm. 

Ps there the nox sensor, the thermostat, new coolant and bleed and then the front end drive belts pulleys etc,  finally finish off with new front discs & pads, and another round of bleeding

;)

13 hours ago, vpcaptain said:

Thanks andrew, appreciate the second opinion on the welded in plugs, turned out the Indy had fitted Bosch ZGR6STE2 which are not approved by BMW only the NGKZKBR7A-HTU. Amazed the Bosch ones even worked to be honest.

car pulls better for first 5-10 mins but then stutters again with the dreaded NOX sensor looking as though it’s not functioning correctly and the car gets stuck in rich homogenous operation mode. 

78F7E295-94C7-4E29-9C59-152B2AE982E9.jpeg

941E0BA7-C58C-4DA8-B04C-EBD7DE0525B9.jpeg

Perhaps it’s just the carbon build up confusing things but that gapping looks very different! Or has the centre electrode almost burned away?

Edited by Boba

Exactly Boba the tip gaps are totally different as the N43 engine uses piezo ignition and the specified NGK plug has a gap of around 1.2mm to the Bosch 0.9mm so amazed the engine ran without a misfire. 

Met another forum member today who now is happy to have Bluetooth Audio Streaming activated on his 2014 F10 520d.

This is the first small screened Fxx car I've coded and it has the HU_Champ head unit and CMB_MEDIA modules. Changed 6NH for 6NS in the VO and then VO coded the Headunit and the Combox modules to activate the function using ESYS and ESYS Launcher PRO 2.8.2.

He now has the "Office" iDrive menu option and can select "Audio" in addition to "Telephone" for the connected BT device. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

On 17/07/2021 at 10:56, bmwmike said:

Those Bosch plugs are also slightly longer than the NGK ones :shock:

They are indeed!

Made me clench I tell thee! Rob went and double checked the part numbers and markings before we fitted them and it’s why we turned over the engine by hand after fitting the first one. And after each one in turn just in case.  If you look carefully you can see my blue handled long ratchet on the crankshaft bolt.

FDB69930-7-B6-B-422-E-96-D9-3261-BC52979

Any piston crown hitting plug tip would hopefully be felt/heard. 

Was worse because it wasn’t my car, worried about damaging @vpcaptains pride and joy. 

On 17/07/2021 at 09:52, Boba said:

Perhaps it’s just the carbon build up confusing things

That will be the plusgas!

We had to soak the plugs in the bores with plusgas to help them out their bores. They got covered in the stuff on backing them out. The Indy that fitted them definitely did not only torque them to 23Nm. As Rob will testify too! 

23nm is correct torque, iirc NGK quote a turning angle these days instead though, so there really is no need to whelly them up so tight even if the indy didnt have a torque wrench, he/she/they can presumably read a picture!

I've replaced the ugly peeling trunk release button cover on my F10 530d. 

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

5 minutes ago, Ricky318i said:

I've replaced the ugly peeling trunk release button cover on my F10 530d. 

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

Nice easy to do @Ricky318i ?

Just now, marko530d said:

Nice easy to do @Ricky318i ?

Yes, all you do is remove the button with a small screwdriver, then pop out the cover with same small screwdriver. 

The replacement can be bought from Amazon here: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WTBNVLN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Today, I did 202.2 miles from Maidstone in Kent to Weyhill near Andover and back.  Took it steady, cause I'm on company time.  First medium distance I've done since I bought it.

If things fall into place for COVID well we're off to Italy in August, we do it a couple of times a year usually, made it last year and got back two days before lock down, but always been in a nice safe company car.  Its 889 miles door to Venetzian door.  Through the tunnel, sprint up to Belgium, across the south Netherlands, all the way down through Germany, up the alps through Austria and down the Dolomites in... Italia!

We did used to go down the AutoRoutes through France.  Easier but its £200 in roads and tolls each way now including France, Mont Blanc and across Italy.  Our way costs a tenner to cross Austria and twenty down in Italy.

I got a speeding fine last year in Germany, caught by a camera, speed limit was 130, I was flashed at 140, so the fine was... wait for it... 10 euros, 1 for for every Km over the limit.  No points, paid online.  Nice.  Took till December to arrive though.

A friend of mine at work drives to Holland regular.  He'd get flashed every visit and never fined then one day he got caught at the side of the road by a Frency copper and they had a record of each flash.  Cost him £950.  Whoops

I forgot to mention...

Insurance renewal from Admiral £887 for my 520D and the good ladys Seat Mii by Mango.

I found Saga the best in the end at £337 + £121 for the pair.

I must be over 50 now then!

12 hours ago, DarenF said:

Today, I did 202.2 miles from Maidstone in Kent to Weyhill near Andover and back.  Took it steady, cause I'm on company time.  First medium distance I've done since I bought it.

If things fall into place for COVID well we're off to Italy in August, we do it a couple of times a year usually, made it last year and got back two days before lock down, but always been in a nice safe company car.  Its 889 miles door to Venetzian door.  Through the tunnel, sprint up to Belgium, across the south Netherlands, all the way down through Germany, up the alps through Austria and down the Dolomites in... Italia!

We did used to go down the AutoRoutes through France.  Easier but its £200 in roads and tolls each way now including France, Mont Blanc and across Italy.  Our way costs a tenner to cross Austria and twenty down in Italy.

I got a speeding fine last year in Germany, caught by a camera, speed limit was 130, I was flashed at 140, so the fine was... wait for it... 10 euros, 1 for for every Km over the limit.  No points, paid online.  Nice.  Took till December to arrive though.

A friend of mine at work drives to Holland regular.  He'd get flashed every visit and never fined then one day he got caught at the side of the road by a Frency copper and they had a record of each flash.  Cost him £950.  Whoops

Nice write-up Daren, do you have a google map of the route you take? I was thinking of a similar trip myself but with the expense of tolls my wife questions why we simply wouldn't fly. 

13 hours ago, DarenF said:

In 2016 I did Italy via Germany & Austria; fantastic journey; you need an Autobahn vignette for Austria, but that was bought at German services near the border. Coming back we did Switzerland (another more expensive Vignette that was controlled at the border) and France.

In 2019 I did the south of Spain; French tolls were about £100 each way; Spanish tolls were insignificant by comparison.

2 hours ago, bigshout said:

Nice write-up Daren, do you have a google map of the route you take? I was thinking of a similar trip myself but with the expense of tolls my wife questions why we simply wouldn't fly. 

Basically, from Calais turn on the 'avoid tolls' in your sat nav and head for Frankfurt. Clear that setting and head for Innsbruck, you must buy a vinette for Austria asap or just before you enter from Germany.  Austria fines £250 for no vinette.

I hope this link works... https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Calais,+France/Frankfurt,+Germany/Innsbruck,+Austria/Venice,+Metropolitan+City+of+Venice,+Italy/@48.2769271,4.8458662,7z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x47dc3f75d7f1e363:0xacbed9e08cd279f4!2m2!1d1.858686!2d50.95129!1m5!1m1!1s0x47bd096f477096c5:0x422435029b0c600!2m2!1d8.6821267!2d50.1109221!1m5!1m1!1s0x479d6ecfe1f8ca73:0x9d201c7d281d9b0d!2m2!1d11.4041024!2d47.2692124!1m5!1m1!1s0x477eb1daf1d63d89:0x7ba3c6f0bd92102f!2m2!1d12.3155151!2d45.4408474!3e0