F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Yes for sure USB drive is quicker, and as you say easy to take with you and transfer music on and off. I must get around to trying some movies, and enabling Video from USB.

Edited by percha

5 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Nope.  What you see in the above picture was £144.42 delivered, one arm before any ECP discount is £178!

I've read about the Autodoc problems, so far I've only ordered relatively few items from Autodoc and I've double checked the part numbers to make sure its the correct bits and I've only ever ordered things like Lemforder and Febi bits where you can cross reference the right parts and be reasonably confident that its the right bit that you will get.  I copy and paste the part number from realoem into Autodoc when searching so there is little chance for an error creeping in on my part.  I'm prepared to gamble on Autodoc and so far have not had a problem with them.

Well be aware,  I would never buy anything from Autodoc  again after the complete fiasco with the front discs I ordered.

After ordering the discs that I wanted they sent their own cheap brand instead with the excuse of speeding up my order, what a load of tosh!! It then took a week of emails to eventually getting a return label out of with free return with the added custom forms, repacking and taking to the post, just read the trustpilot revues, lesson learnt!!

Edited by Oldbilly

13 hours ago, marko530d said:

Found out how to transfer music files to car via usb after 16 months of ownership :lol:

( its in glove box not arm rest ) :D

Lol, I stream it via Bluetooth, original owner ticked that on the option form, but for some reason every so often it decides to disconnect itself and it takes me forever to work out what bits in the iDrive to twiddle to make it work again......

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Lol, I stream it via Bluetooth, original owner ticked that on the option form, but for some reason every so often it decides to disconnect itself and it takes me forever to work out what bits in the iDrive to twiddle to make it work again......

Yeah i have this too @535i Andrew updated Bluetooth no more disconnection.

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Always worth starting with a 'personal data clear' and re-configuring your settings.  Worked for me

On 18/06/2021 at 08:15, 535i Andrew said:

I tried the bluetooth route and the quality was terrible in comparison to plugging it in. I have the professional sound system in my F11 but don't know if that makes a difference.

I did over 600 miles on one tank of diesel from Somerset to Durham and back. With a roof box. My final average was 42.2mpg. 

I'm confident that even better numbers would have been achievable had I not hooned the first 2 hours up to Birmingham. This engine never ceases to amaze me. 

On 21/06/2021 at 11:48, jannism said:

I did over 600 miles on one tank of diesel from Somerset to Durham and back. With a roof box. My final average was 42.2mpg. 

I'm confident that even better numbers would have been achievable had I not hooned the first 2 hours up to Birmingham. This engine never ceases to amaze me. 

@jannism

That's a great result, yes the 535d engine is amazing to drive, mine is the F10, what age/mileage are you at?

I washed mine, and treated it to BH Double Speed Wax and then finished with a light spritz of Sonax Extreme BSD. She is clean again and ready for the rain! 

I am yet to do one tank in one go, but I imagine the 30d would be very similar if not a few more mpg than that, but amazing value to get just goes to show that once at speed they only need a tickle to keep the momentum and when you have 6 cylinders and plenty of torque it does it with ease.

Edited by percha

On 6/21/2021 at 11:48 AM, jannism said:

I love the word ‘hooned’

2 hours ago, ajl530d said:

@jannism

That's a great result, yes the 535d engine is amazing to drive, mine is the F10, what age/mileage are you at?

Hi @ajl530d I'm knocking on the door of 89k miles at 8.5 years. I chopped in my 3 year old F10 530d in which I'd clocked up 65k miles from new for this one with 55k miles and loaded to the gunwhales with toys and never looked back. My intention is to run it until it can't run any further or until it's outlawed - whichever happens first. As it goes I was able to get over 700 miles to a tank in the 530d despite having a fairly heavy right foot.

How does that compare to your F10? Have I still got some work to do? :D

Edited by jannism

Tbh this is my plan with the 528i F11 run it into the ground 

Dads 2002 525d is over 200k miles now and still going strong 

11 hours ago, jannism said:

My intention is to run it until it can't run any further or until it's outlawed - :D

I'd be still running it even if it was outlawed as its too good a car to let the soap dodging, tree hugging, Greta worshiping Ecomentalists win

Today I watched my F11 drive off into the distance when the new owner came to pick it up. Genuinely gutted, but needs must. I'll testify to the UK used car market being buoyant at the moment - it went quickly, the phone never stopped.

Onwards.

I was working on the car at the weekend when I had a heart stopping moment after I noticed a suspicious looking patch on the radiator that I thought was a leak between the two hose connections 

IMG_8620.jpg

Thankfully it held 12.5psi for 5 minutes while on test and no blue antifreeze was spotted anywhere.

IMG_8667.jpg

Sense of relief was most welcome. 

On 23/06/2021 at 19:54, jannism said:

How does that compare to your F10? Have I still got some work to do? 

@jannism

You are definately getting the max from your car. If I'm careful then I can get a bit more but then what's the point with such a brilliant car? With lockdown et al my 2016 car is just shy of 30K so hardly run in! :rolleyes:

I still have my 2003 E39 530d which is on 206k miles (fully run in) and does 44mpg on the motorway. Can't bring myself to sell it as I've owned it for 15 years ! If i was to sell it then it would be a tough interview to anyone interested. :-D

Edited by ajl530d
typo

Mate, never sell the e39. 

I’m horribly well versed in the craft of lost classics. The e39 is a stone cold class leader in that department. But then I don’t need to tell you that do I.

The last of the 4 wheel bearings were fitted today - car now has all 4 new wheel bearings and 2 new flanges on the rear axle - all FAG parts. The ones which were removed were all FAG/SK stamped which is reassuring as that's what has gone back onto the car. Two new brake discs (brembo) and front pads (textar) also fitted on the front axle

both rear bearings were CRUSTY! certainly quite notchy and 'raspy', front passenger side was a little rough, front driver quite smooth but both fronts had leaked grease as there was a thick layer of black grease all around where the bearing met the race. 

overall, not too bad considering they've now done 178k miles. 

Car is significantly quieter on smooth tarmac now, no more rumbling. - now I can hear wind noise which will be tackled next! 

New Corteco crankshaft pulley due to be delivered before the weekend, just researching brands etc to determine what would be better in terms of drive belt, tensioner/pulleys etc and possibly water pump while i'm in there. 

Is this a difficult job?

There seems to be a lot of room at the front of the engine bay on my little n47, will be the first time i'm ever doing a drive belt myself..

Edited by apples12

Nice one @apples12.  I too fear my rear bearings have had it given how bad my front are at a third of your mileage!

I've just replaced my belt, tensioner and idler pulley with febi parts.  The febi parts had BMW part numbers on their boxes and they had the same markings as the tensioner and idler pulley that I removed.  OEM belt is Continental.

Can't comment on the water pump on the N47/B47 is it engine driven on the oil burners?

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Nice one @apples12.  I too fear my rear bearings have had it given how bad my front are at a third of your mileage!

I've just replaced my belt, tensioner and idler pulley with febi parts.  The febi parts had BMW part numbers on their boxes and they had the same markings as the tensioner and idler pulley that I removed.  OEM belt is Continental.

Can't comment on the water pump on the N47/B47 is it engine driven on the oil burners?

Pumps belt driven I believe

Was it difficult/anything to look out for with tensioners etc? 

Its between INA and Febi parts 

42 minutes ago, apples12 said:

Its between INA and Febi parts 

The bearings in the replacement febi parts I used had INA markings on them, as did the genuine ones I removed.

INA on the original idler pulley at 11 o'clock position.

IMG_8642.jpg

INA make bearings and supply other manufacturers, in my case febi, and whoever made them for BMW back in 2012 when mine were made.

Don't know if that helps or hinders your choice of parts.  From memory looking at Autodoc (I'll wait for the swearing to subside) INA do a kit with the tensioner, idler and belt, febi and others only do the items separately. 

49 minutes ago, apples12 said:

Pumps belt driven I believe

Anything that is driven by your auxiliary belt should ideally be replaced as a complete set.  Generally there is no need to touch the crank pulley, aircon pulley as they are that much bigger and go around relatively fewer times than the tensioner pulley, idler pulley, the alternator and in your case, the water pump.

My car doesn't have a clutch (OAP/OAD) on the alternator, yours might and you should replace that too.

Make sure you know if your car has VDC/dynamic drive etc as that means the engine (well on my N55 anyway) has another pulley to drive and an additional idler so the belt is also longer and there are two idlers to swap out.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

The bearings in the replacement febi parts I used had INA markings on them, as did the genuine ones I removed.

INA on the original idler pulley at 11 o'clock position.

IMG_8642.jpg

INA make bearings and supply other manufacturers, in my case febi, and whoever made them for BMW back in 2012 when mine were made.

Don't know if that helps or hinders your choice of parts.  From memory looking at Autodoc (I'll wait for the swearing to subside) INA do a kit with the tensioner, idler and belt, febi and others only do the items separately. 

Anything that is driven by your auxiliary belt should ideally be replaced as a complete set.  Generally there is no need to touch the crank pulley, aircon pulley as they are that much bigger and go around relatively fewer times than the tensioner pulley, idler pulley, the alternator and in your case, the water pump.

My car doesn't have a clutch (OAP/OAD) on the alternator, yours might and you should replace that too.

Make sure you know if your car has VDC/dynamic drive etc as that means the engine (well on my N55 anyway) has another pulley to drive and an additional idler so the belt is also longer and there are two idlers to swap out.

The crank pulley is looking a little worse for wear, cracking in the rubber. Plus I got the replacement corteco one at a complete steal. 

It'll be the INA kit in that case I think. 

10 hours ago, apples12 said:

The crank pulley is looking a little worse for wear, cracking in the rubber. 

It should just bolt on/off with 6-8 bolts or so, no need to touch the tightened to the next millennium centre crank bolt.

11 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

It should just bolt on/off with 6-8 bolts or so, no need to touch the tightened to the next millennium centre crank bolt.

Corteco pulley arrived today, surprised and relieved to see that the BMW logo and part number has been ground off but just not well enough! 

Off to compile a list of bits