F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Got my FEAD tensioner delivered this morning.

1725-DB72-324-B-457-A-9-C56-97-E16-CC281

Assuming I'm allowed time to work on the car at the weekend, that's Sundays job as I've now got all the bits.

'Tis that time of year once more, so the order has gone in for the oil & filter bits.

Sticking with LiquiMoly 4100  5w40 again, Mahle oil, air and charcoal cabin filters. All in 146 euro delivered.

Generally around 2 weeks, I'd expect.... just got to hope I'm not off doing silly stuff by then...

Took the front offside forwards wheel arch liner off to expose the auxiliary radiator.  I wanted to investigate the possibility of disconnecting that rad to drain the system as helpfully there is no drain point on the N55 cooling system.

78360948-A413-464-C-9-F04-4-B2063-C9-EFB

The car had not long been driven yet this rad was stone cold. The main rad was hot as engine up to normal temperature.  I thought it was plumbed in parallel to the main radiator but perhaps the thermostat controls both. I’ll need to do more digging into how it all works.

Anyways while I was in there cleaning stuff, I found the source of the occasional clonk. 

C6-A11447-3-EC9-48-E7-9569-4-A474-A95-FD

The disc splasher shield has completely corroded around the bolt holding it to the hub by the track rod end.  It’s loose at this end and when wobbled will clonk. 

But I’ve already got replacement ones and fixings to go on, after taking the brakes off. So that’s ok. 

6A44985E-C9A0-4411-9D92-C65A50279090.jpg

And I found another grot trap that will eat into the brake lines. 

There is a bracket on the inner wing that is cup shaped supporting the brake pipe joint where the flexi bolts to the rigid lines. This cup has filled with debris making a nice little  damp trap around the joint. 

C16-E0317-F76-D-40-D0-859-A-22-A96-E6-C7

You can still see a bit of debris here.

Another excellent bit of design. 

9 hours ago, Oilburner said:

You have been very busy and organized with those shiny new parts.:rolleyes:

lol yeah all I’ve done is add to the collection of shiny parts, sitting in a box still waiting to go on the car.....

Seeing as how we are unlikely to get away on holiday this year, the two weeks I’ve got booked off work in July, I want to spend fitting these shiny bits, that sounds like my kinda holiday.

I fear, however, that  Mrs 535i might have a very different idea tho. 

My theory @Caesar is....

To make the car comply with crash/pedestrian impact criteria the nose needs to be low and soft at the front area, thus limiting the available space to get sufficient area for the radiator. When it’s on full chat on a hot day the front main radiator isn’t big enough to cool the engine so they have to stick in another one. 

The crash/pedestrian impact has a bearing on where hard stuff is located under the bonnet. 

Or I’m talking complete mince (it has be known after all) and they just wanted the front of the car to look pretty and ran out of room for a big enough radiator.  :lol:

New brake discs and pads on my 107,000 F11 and a new iDrive button. I also bought a Brodit gadget that holds an Apple Magsafe wireless charging unit for the 12 ProMax . An extended cable USB C cable and a Belkin 15 watt charger plugged into the rear lighter socket provides very speedy charging. The front lighter socket provides power for the front dashcam.

44 minutes ago, rasg said:

New brake discs and pads on my 107,000 F11 and a new iDrive button. I also bought a Brodit gadget that holds an Apple Magsafe wireless charging unit for the 12 ProMax . An extended cable USB C cable and a Belkin 15 watt charger plugged into the rear lighter socket provides very speedy charging. The front lighter socket provides power for the front dashcam.

Can you post a pic of the Brodit in situ please

On 04/06/2021 at 10:24, 535i Andrew said:

Got my FEAD tensioner delivered this morning.

Assuming I'm allowed time to work on the car at the weekend, that's Sundays job

Aye, famous last words because on finding this on Saturday

C6A11447-3EC9-48E7-9569-4A474A95FD9E.jpg

Which by the time I'd got back from the once a week run to Tesco yesterday morning it had turned into this.

Oh bother.

So can anyone tell me what the problem is from this picture? :lol:

14.jpg

anyone?

Yup the brake splasher shield has been removed from the car, without undoing any of its securing bolts!

19.jpg

Old and new splasher shields, that isn't two washers, that's the remains of what was the old splasher shield from under the bolt heads.

And just to add to the joys of joys on a Sunday afternoon, I discovered this too.

The FEAD will need to wait for another day.

20 hours ago, DarenF said:

Can you post a pic of the Brodit in situ please

One thing I like about the Brodit system is that once it's on nothing moves. Also, if you update your phone or mounting bracket for a device you don't need to buy a new bracket that fits on the dashboard itself. Not the cheapest at all though and I have used the same brand for my last four cars.

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

So can anyone tell me what the problem is from this picture

A: 1.5 ton car being supported by a plastic bucket? 

11 minutes ago, Caesar said:

So can anyone tell me what the problem is from this picture

A: 1.5 ton car being supported by a plastic bucket? 

I'm sorry but you are quite wrong!

The car weighs a lot more than 1.5 ton!:lol:

2 hours ago, Caesar said:

a plastic bucket? 

Absolutely, I first used this sophisticated piece of garage equipment when working on my E60. 99p from B&Q!

DSCN0674.jpg

Its my go to cheap tool for supporting the weight of the caliper. :lol:

Just pressed the order button for some new Lemforder front lower arms and their fixings, big savings on Autodoc at the moment.  £57.91 per arm, ECP were £178 for the same part.

I need to take them out, so might as well replace them, when I go to swap out the bearings.

Now where's my big breaker bar........

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Just pressed the order button for some new Lemforder front lower arms and their fixings, big savings on Autodoc at the moment.  £57.91 per arm, ECP were £178 for the same part.

I need to take them out, so might as well replace them, when I go to swap out the bearings.

Now where's my big breaker bar........

wow thats good. Sytner BMW quoted me £900 quid for the front arms (supply and fit, both sides) when they didnt think I could twist my warranty to fork out for it.

11 hours ago, bmwmike said:

wow thats good. 

Yeah its not too shabby for OEM stuff at all is it?

I kicked myself as I had priced it up from Autodoc late afternoon, then went and ordered them about 8pm.  In that time the price had gone up by a whopping 9 pence per arm!

I had to make peace with myself, I was born near Aberdeen after all. :lol:

Not happy with Autodoc or as they call them selves in the UK bypartsonline, ordered 2 part front discs and received a pair of completely different make a altogether, not happy at all!

I put the original 17in alloys back on my car yesterday. I think this is the first part of "preparation for sale" :(

6 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

What would you go for next  @BFleming?

Remember to pay for Gold membership and you can sell it on here.

Something smaller and manual so my son can drive it too. I have no particular need of anything as big as the 5 series going forward. Need & Want are different things though.

Noted re Gold membership.

1 minute ago, BFleming said:

Need & Want are different things though.

So many folk confuse those two words.....:lol:

Bloke that worked for me a few years back had no concept of the difference....

Took the cover off the yellow grommet today.

4-E065616-1-D1-B-4348-9388-06-DD6-E647-B

Grommet was looking good having been replaced over a year ago.

BDFA2751-32-D6-4507-93-C1-33290-F3-A1764

Again evidence of a tide mark due to build up of sediment on the bulkhead ledge but not anywhere near high enough to trouble the grommet so my scuttle drain must still be nice and clear still after two years. 

Cleaned up nicely.

BAAEEAD7-F054-4418-AAE4-07578-DDF14-CE.j

Took me 3 mins to get the cover off and 5 mins to get it back on, needed a wee wiggle to line up that 4th bolt.