F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

35 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

I left the F11 at my nearby BMW friendly garage today to have a new fuel filter (Mann item from Autodoc) fitted now the old one is 33000 miles old. Also had the alignment checked as I'd noticed the car starting to squirm around a little when moving across centre lines during overtaking or drastic camber changes.

I'd also asked them to change the diff oil while the car was on the ramp but they rang me later to say the only oil they could put in was genuine BMW stuff which is £80 per litre :shock:  Apparently the only info BMW will give them is the part number, they won't divulge the spec of the oil required but warn using anything else will result in a destroyed transmission. I'm sure that's not quite right so will go and start another thread on that subect.

At least I got my fuel filter and alignment sorted and the car is driving a lot better now. They held off charging me until I decide what to do about the diff oil.

There are plenty of excellent diff fluids available which will protect and nourish the diff on your F11 for many miles to come. Liqui Moly have some exceptional fluids but unfortunately after researching it seems their diff oil doesn't meet BMW's specs, despite being the same grade.

The BMW oil you need for the rear diff is BMW Hypoid 75W85 G1 pn 83222413511

I've heard of many people using Liqui Moly's 75W85 but I guess you take a risk going against the holy text from BMW. Liqui Moly don't actually list any of their diff oils as being suitable. Perhaps they put an additive in with it, but either way I'm certain their diffs don't disintegrate.

7 hours ago, bmwPower said:

@Jimbo07g41 - What has your experience been with bedding in your new pads and discs?

I got EBC discs and yellow stuff pads and after  a 1000 miles  they've not bedded in. Apparently new discs take longer to bed in.  Not sure if the rigmarole below is worth it!! 

EBC BRAKE PADS BED-IN PROCEDURE:

• Use brakes with minimal pressure for first 100 miles from urban speeds of 30-50 mph only. Brakes will feel very sharp and responsive but this is ONLY the brake in coating working which gives an abnormally high friction level feeling.
  • Drive a further 250 miles using slightly increased brake pressure and load UNLESS in an emergency in which case apply brake as hard as required.
  • Clean wheels off as there will be residue from the brake-in coating after bed in.
  • Look for a full width contact across the pad depth( rotor braking band) from the outer edge of the disc to the inner and if not achieved allow a further 100-200 miles steady driving. You will see a blue-ish band evidencing contact across the rotor face. Until this band goes from the outer to the inner edges of the brake disc/rotor the pads have NOT yet fully seated. When installing new rotors, reduced width banding is quite possible due to various tolerances and slight misalignments in the vehicle chassis and is NOT a warranty defect or a reason to remove and inspect brakes. Many European cars have SINGLE PISTON CALIPERS and these tend to “Flair” open and cause the contact band described above only to be seen at the outer edge of the disc/rotor and work its way inwards taking up to 1000 miles to do so.
  • After full width contact band is attained make a further 10 stops from 60 mph to 10 mph in succession with a deliberate attempt to get the brakes hot. Some smells may occur even slight smoke during this final heat up stage of the pads in early life. Then coast the vehicle for a mile to allow discs to cool. Do not pull up and park vehicle with brake excessively hot. You must try to get the discs down to below 60-80 degrees C temperature before parking the vehicle.
  • When parked let brakes cool to a final cool-to-touch point. Before touching discs splash a few tiny drops of water onto the disc to asses its temperature to avoid burning fingers. If the water spots cause a “hiss” you have parked up too soon and should go out and drive slowly allowing the brakes to cool further.

NEW DISCS TAKE LONGER TO BED IN

Fully bedding new pads to decent condition worn discs/rotors may take only 200-300 miles but when new discs are fitted at the same time bed in times to achieve outer to inner edge contact ( full width blue-grey contact band as mentioned under point 4 above ) can be as long as 800-1000 miles due to extra components needed to be aligned to the vehicle. To Short cut this you can ( and EBC recommend should) have EVEN NEW DISCS Pro Cut Lathe aligned to your vehicle. This process removes only microns of new disc material and shortens bed in time by 75% of the time it COULD take giving you better brakes faster and avoiding hot spotting and pad glazing.

BADLY WORN DISCS/ROTORS CAN TAKE AN AGE TO BED IN

Discs/Rotors with more than 0.5 mm ( 0.020 inches) of lip at the outer edge or hollow in the centre of the braking area can take up to 2000 miles to bed in and will for sure cause Noise, brake fade,vibration and pad burning. Bad rotors can RUIN your pads. 95% of brake fade and noise complaints come from poor disc/rotor condition where the pads touch only at the outer and inner edges and have no chance to deliver an effective brake.

I  have just been gentle with the brakes.  So from 30 - 40 mph gentle on the peddle for around ten applications.  The Brembo's seem to be great out of the box but this might be due to the fact my brakes were well past their sell by date,  

On 5/16/2021 at 10:07 PM, Toughguyhuh said:

Was your car subject to an EGR safety recall? Mine was (2015 520d) and was replaced last year. Not sure about the 3.0 EGR. Weirdly I just got another letter in the post about another EGR recall - phoned BMW and they're checking what's going on. That's three recall letters in 2 years, first one they said they replaced it but actually it was just "checked", second was replaced and the latest one I'm not sure what they're on about.

I just collected my (new to me) 2015 520d M Sport Saloon this evening.  The MOT GOV check site says I have no recalls outstanding but the iDrive say the EGR recall is.

Who do I believe?

8 minutes ago, DarenF said:

I just collected my (new to me) 2015 520d M Sport Saloon this evening.  The MOT GOV check site says I have no recalls outstanding but the iDrive say the EGR recall is.

Who do I believe?

Congratulations Daren - I hope you have many very happy years of motoring ahead of you. Look forward to seeing some pics.

Best thing to do re the EGR cooler is ring your nearest dealer and tell them you bought the car and can they let you have a copy of the service history. Dealers will happily email you a PDF of all its service history and recall work. If you don’t need the pdf then at the very least they’ll tell you whether the EGR recall is still outstanding.

tell us a bit more about your car if you have time?

Andy

Its an F10 Saloon, pale gray with the 19" 351 alloys.  I'll post a pic when the sun is up.

All OK, I've ordered the replacement ashtray and set of prys already from eBay along with the AirMan gunk and pump to keep booted.

The tyres are bridgestones but they are a bit buldgy and well worn.  I'd like to change them for Mich's all round but feel guilty throwing out half used rubber.  It has failed the MOT before on tyres so I'd feel safer.  I like the look of the standing straight Mich Pilot Sport 4/S but am open to suggestions.

I'm in Larkfield so I popped out for a spin up to Orpington and back earlier.  All good but what is Efficient Dynamics when in ECO Pro mode?

I tried to register on the BMW app but keeps telling me the code is wrong.  I'll try again tomorrow.

Ill try to contact Arden tomoorow about the recall/history but I didn't really plan on main dealers to keep budget friendly.

I do plan on the BMW Advanced Eye 2.0 though.  Again an eBay purchase but new and get H&S in Maidstone to fit

Love it so far.

12 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Mine has ticked over 56,000 miles at just over 8 years old.

Noticed that the drive belt is starting to fray ever so slightly on the outer edge, time for a new one.

6006E07D-C7A7-48E5-AEC3-E699EDC6D6F5.jpg

I'll replace it along with the tensioner and idler, got the new bolts for the tensioner from Cotswolds on Saturday.

@535i Andrew that belt doesnt look great. I did mine recently at 71k and it didnt look frayed on the edge like that. Whats the rusty top pulley?  

On 5/16/2021 at 2:53 PM, DarenF said:

Forgot to ask... Where did you get them?

Ebay. The exact item from the seller I bought from is no longer available but this looks the same at a similar price from the same seller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F10-F11-M5-pair-gloss-black-kidney-grille-grilles-grills-double-twin-spoke-/254877800732?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

If I'm being honest I was after the M5 style grilles with more of a defined kink in the vertical slats like the later generation cars but mine is a more rounded style. I have since found the following for a bit more money that appear to be more what I was after but I happy with mine for now

https://www.cksperformance.com/products/bmw-f10-f11-5-series-saloon-touring-kidney-grilles-gloss-black

9 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Whats the rusty top pulley?  

That's the alternator pulley. 

Rust, humph, cheek, that's just light oxidation following a slight breakdown of the protective coatings. :lol:

It's just a tiny length that has started the fray right on the edge, no sign of cracks across the ribs tho, but at 1,200 miles a year, I don't think its immediately life threatening.  I'm going to order the bits this week, just trying to work out what else part wise I can get for the car, thinking some radiator hoses.....

Can anybody recommend a set of matts for my 520d 2015 F10

Im looking on eBay but bewildered by what’s good and bad

4 minutes ago, DarenF said:

Can anybody recommend a set of matts for my 520d 2015 F10

I got genuine BMW rubber ones from a BMW dealer selling on Ebay. I think I paid around £75 for a full front and rear set. They are excellent, fit perfectly and after cleaning look as good as new after 50000 miles of driving with them.

43 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

I got genuine BMW rubber ones from a BMW dealer selling on Ebay. I think I paid around £75 for a full front and rear set. They are excellent, fit perfectly and after cleaning look as good as new after 50000 miles of driving with them.

+1 for genuine rubber mats. I have same in my f10

2 hours ago, Yuri84 said:

+1 for genuine rubber mats. I have same in my f10

Make that +3

I replaced the genuine rubber mats the police had left me, like for like and they've served well over the past 3 years. Definitely the better choice.