F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

eBay is your friend here....I got mine for a steal...but then they needed a refurbish too, thankfully I can do that at home as I have a compressor and spray gun setup.

Oh and remember if you have the full TPMS system you will need to get a set of valves too.

I used to buy winter wheel set ups from eBay.de 

Because there was so much choice they were much cheaper,including shipping. Not sure if that's still the case. 

The issue am thinking of is can you just switch from 19s to 18s the car will be setup for 19 inch alloys alignment etc , possibility uneven tyre wear on the smaller 18s, would you compensate with bigger tyre wall. :huh:

20 minutes ago, marko530d said:

The issue am thinking of is can you just switch from 19s to 18s the car will be setup for 19 inch alloys alignment etc , possibility uneven tyre wear on the smaller 18s, would you compensate with bigger tyre wall. :huh:

Dunno ours was fine....I don't think they set up every single car out out the factory with different geo setups.

Just make sure you use the tyre size that listed on the door sticker for the pressures etc.

Good wash for the car today, winter tyres are on, and washed under the arches too (something I do twice/year at tyre swap time). MOT is looming, but given I've serviced it recently and done the rear discs & pads, I'm confident it'll get a clean bill of health. Should find out later this coming week.

Got my new winter tyres fitted today, bought them in the summer and with both sons now also having a set of winters it was getting a bit crowded in our garage with 16 tyres :-)

Went for Nexen Winguard Sport 2, decent reviews and £70 each delivered in 225/55/17 was a good price I thought. Bought these TPMS sensors as well as the wheels didn't have them last winter and I got fed up of the bong on every start and the permanent warning lights, after two resets they're working perfectly.

Will probably leave the winters on now, I'm doing <10 miles a week currently due to working from home.

I think that was the guy I got my TMPS sensors off after buying a brand new non branded  set from a German company the buggering things would not even read then they would not take them back. :angry:

The ones of eBay were perfect.....had them fitted the the car picked them up within a couple of miles.

Edited by nick_mcuk
spelling

On 12/10/2020 at 14:04, nick_mcuk said:

I think that was the guy I got my TMPS sensors off after buying a brand new non branded  set from a German company the buggering things would not even read then they would not take them back. :angry:

The ones of eBay were perfect.....had them fitted the the car picked them up within a couple of miles.

Non-branded sensors need to be coded to the car using software specific to whatever brand you're using. During the summer I couldn't find any BMW ones that didn't cost an arm and a leg so I bought a set of Autel ones from ebay and got my local garage to do the honours. It actually ended up taking about an hour but thankfully it only set me back another 30-odd quid so came in at around £100 all-in.

I had been hoping to get them done at the local tyre place for free but weirdly, Autel was almost the only brand for which their machine didn't have the software.

Edited by jannism

1 minute ago, jannism said:

Non-branded sensors need to be coded to the car using software specific to whatever brand you're using. During the summer I couldn't find any BMW ones that didn't cost an arm and a leg so I bought a set of Autel ones from ebay and got my local garage to do the honours. It actually ended up taking about an hour but thankfully it only set me back another 30-odd quid so came in at around £100 all-in.

Yeah I had suspected this and my guys could not even get the things to register.

Ho hum expensive mistake :(

New ATE Discs and EBC yellow stuff pads installed, also noticed previous owner had fitted drop links, my mechanic noticed the suspension system had some errors which he reset and suspension now sits and works correctly.

Edited by NeilV535

Gave my door seals a treatment of Wurth Gummi-Fit to help keep them supple and hopefully keep them from freezing up when the cold weather returns.

3 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Filled up with diesel on my way home..... Shell station @ 0.949 euro/litre.  (That's 86p/litre at today's rate) :D

I used to get vouchers in Germany back in the day. Happy memories, and cheap motoring!

Passed the MOT, clean bill of health & no advisories. 220 mile drive to celebrate! Queues at the MOT centre are horrific as all the 12- and 18- monthers come forth. Not great planning.

10 minutes ago, BFleming said:

I used to get vouchers in Germany back in the day. Happy memories, and cheap motoring!

I guess you were in the Forces then....I remember the petrol coupons that my dad used to get...he was in the Army but I guess the RAF guys got them too.Lived just outside Wildenrath then...77 to 81

1 hour ago, neilos1000 said:

I guess you were in the Forces then....I remember the petrol coupons that my dad used to get...he was in the Army but I guess the RAF guys got them too.Lived just outside Wildenrath then...77 to 81

I spent 6 great years in Germany, 93 to 99. Happy times.

13 hours ago, neilos1000 said:

Wildenrath is a rail test track now.

My old kaserne at Bunde got flattened and is now a small industrial estate.

I appear to have restored some semblance of normal performance to the car since buying it...when I bought it, it was a bit sluggish and the fuel economy was a bit off, even after a blast to deepest darkest Essex from my pocket of relative safety at Jn 10 of the M25. A bit of research saw the replacement of both the front and rear fuel pressure valves in quick succession but the sluggishness, whilst better, was still there. there followed an MOT which the car flew through and a fuel filter change, oil/air filter change and a change of oil (a minor service, I guess)...still the sluggishness persisted until I read more about the EGR valve and noticed what turned out to be a bit of coolant leak around the EGR valve and cooler. Cue a purchase of a replacement EGR valve and now the engine seems to sing - well, sing as well as an EGR valve allows! I'll give it a few more days as I gave it a bit of a tuning run on the A3 which saw the fuel economy begin to sort itself out...fingers crossed! 

Otherwise, I have been investigating whether to keep my 19" rims or move down to 18". My brother reckons as the car isn't an M-Sport, but has been setup to mimic one by previous owners, I'd have to lower the suspension to make the wheels fit the arches, but the decision is being further complicated by the opportunity to purchase 19" rubber at an incredible price via the Altenzotyre site - approx £82 per rear and £69 per front...! What say you guys and gals? Take a punt on this new rubber - Australian-engineered and being sold direct to buyers rather than through tyre sellers or downgrade the rims and hope the ride is less choppy - I have been told that the run flats don't help much either...
I have done a bit of interior decorating to the 5...I had originally changed from the piano gloss black to the hexi-silver trim but have since reupholstered the silver trim to alcantara for a grand total of £26! And discovered I had ambient lighting...I've only had the car since March and haven't driven at nighttime since having the car so didn't notice the ambient lighting working till this weekend when I redid the trim on the doors...!! >_< 

Just my honest opinion, I would stay well clear of tyres that are not a premium brand. The 5er is a heavy car and plenty of torque in your 2.5 (3.0 diesel). Going into this time of year with wet roads, and temperatures dropping its just not worth it.

Interested in seeing photos of the alcantara that sounds a nice upgrade! Well done on EGR valve, how many miles has yours covered?

15 hours ago, SidMan said:

... I read more about the EGR valve and noticed what turned out to be a bit of coolant leak around the EGR valve and cooler. Cue a purchase of a replacement EGR valve and now the engine seems to sing - well, sing as well as an EGR valve allows! I'll give it a few more days as I gave it a bit of a tuning run on the A3 which saw the fuel economy begin to sort itself out...fingers crossed! 

Is your car on the recall list? Loads of people have had EGR coolers replaced at this stage (me included). Might be worth checking. Frustrating as you've just done the job yourself of course.

15 hours ago, SidMan said:

I'd have to lower the suspension to make the wheels fit the arches, but the decision is being further complicated by the opportunity to purchase 19" rubber at an incredible price via the Altenzotyre site - approx £82 per rear and £69 per front...! What say you guys and gals? Take a punt on this new rubber - Australian-engineered and being sold direct to buyers rather than through tyre sellers or downgrade the rims and hope the ride is less choppy - I have been told that the run flats don't help much either...

Following your post, I had a long look at the reviews for the Altenzo tyres. They are not good in the wet at all according to the reviews.

8 hours ago, BFleming said:

Is your car on the recall list? Loads of people have had EGR coolers replaced at this stage (me included). Might be worth checking. Frustrating as you've just done the job yourself of course.

I remember checking for open recalls when I got the car but my VIN doesn't come up...shame! 

8 hours ago, rasg said:

Following your post, I had a long look at the reviews for the Altenzo tyres. They are not good in the wet at all according to the reviews.

I think it depends on the type of Altenzo tyre - the reviews I read for the Comforter+ weren't too bad...I may still have a punt on them but I will have a think. For an 'upcoming' manufacturer, they appear to have been upcoming for several years now! 

Completed the major service (oil, oil filter, air filter, micro filters, spark plugs) and cured a misfire!  More on the plugs and misfire later.

IMG-6542.jpg

Oil (Castrol Edge 5W- 30 M bought from Amazon) and filter with air filter was changed after a year and ~2,600 miles.  Keeping the turbo bearings sweet and internals as clean as I can.

IMG-6571.jpg

Also changed the oil sump plug, the sump plug access hatch securing bolt and its retaining nut which was a plastic one to replace the metal ones which just rust...

IMG-6569.jpg

While the oil was dripping out the sump I changed the micro filters

Oil was changed just like a year ago

except this time I reset the oil service indicator using the method as described in this post......

....having selecting the idrive to show the service icon, it would not reset until I called this up on the idrive.

IMG-6595.jpg

Air filter was changed as before

Spark plugs were a bit more involved....

IMG-6619.jpg

...and gave rise to a small set back but that's sorted for now after a bit of diagnostics and I'll cover that in another post.

Its now currently plugged into its Ctek charger.

Next job winter wheels, before I run out of time this year.