Jump to content
F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Recommended Posts

I drove my 525d to Nottingham & back tonight; 100 miles each way following the service at the weekend. I reset the trip meter before I set off, had a clear run on the M1, which is 5 miles away on an A road. I was mostly in eco pro mode, and averaged (drumroll please) 62mpg. I'm blown away. Now this was a long stretch on the M1 doing 60mph through the eternal roadworks, and no more than an indicated 70mph at all other times on the motorway - and no hooning in Sport mode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BFleming said:

I drove my 525d to Nottingham & back tonight; 100 miles each way following the service at the weekend. I reset the trip meter before I set off, had a clear run on the M1, which is 5 miles away on an A road. I was mostly in eco pro mode, and averaged (drumroll please) 62mpg. I'm blown away. Now this was a long stretch on the M1 doing 60mph through the eternal roadworks, and no more than an indicated 70mph at all other times on the motorway - and no hooning in Sport mode. 

 have had 62mpg out of my 530D touring, driving on a dual carriageway like a saint in eco pro mode and cruise control set to 65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the hose caught on a piece of loose trim under the front bumper while washing it and ended up with the loose trim trailing on the deck but attached to the car. Temp repair done till I can get a replacement piece. 

 

Edit: After looking on real OEM it looks like it might have been the underside of the driver's side front air duct that had a damaged loose section that was then further damaged by the hose. 

Edited by McG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replaced a bump stop and dust shield on the rear nearside shock absorber. I reckon the old one got chewed when the air spring failed a couple of years ago, and has deteriorated since.  £21 for the new part from BMW, and all done in an hour.

Just a tip for anyone else contemplating doing this job - the shock goes downwards to remove it; not enough wiggle room to get it upwards & out. Note I have EDC shocks, which are more cumbersome than standard shocks.

Edited by BFleming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BFleming said:

Replaced a bump stop and dust shield on the rear nearside shock absorber. I reckon the old one got chewed when the air spring failed a couple of years ago, and has deteriorated since.  £21 for the new part from BMW, and all done in an hour.

Just a tip for anyone else contemplating doing this job - the shock goes downwards to remove it; not enough wiggle room to get it upwards & out.

I need to do one of mine as the dust cover has split away from the bump stop. Question, did you need any special tools to remove the M12 locking nut at the top of the shock? i.e. to stop the shock piston rod from turning? Thanks

 

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kersidan said:

I need to do one of mine as the dust cover has split away from the bump stop. Question, did you need any special tools to remove the M12 locking nut at the top of the shock? i.e. to stop the shock piston rod from turning? Thanks

 

Mark

Hi Mark

Normally I struggle with these, but last week I picked up a 240V impact gun, which made light work of it. Off, and back on, in under a second each time! I paid £40 on ebay.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone with an F11 had this happen on the inside of the rear tyres? Just wondering what was cause, as plenty of tread and wearing evenly. Maybe a pot hole or something has caught it?0059388fa3a2b99c5287036cadabbea4.jpg

Sent from my Samsung S10+ using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, percha said:

Maybe a pot hole or something has caught it?

 

I recall reading a few posts on run flats wearing this way. Apparently because the side walls are so stiff compared to the tread the point where they meet and flex is a weak spot. Looks like that might have been the case with yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Cadwell Parker will take a look for info on this site, this was picked up by the garage who are doing the bodywork from the accident I was in last Monday. Two new tyres on the nearside (Asked for same again as I like these Goodyear Excellence and are original fitment I believe) of the car now coming! Also having some extra paintwork sorted out and one wheel refurbed. It will come back like new! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, percha said:

Has anyone with an F11 had this happen on the inside of the rear tyres? Just wondering what was cause, as plenty of tread and wearing evenly. Maybe a pot hole or something has caught it?0059388fa3a2b99c5287036cadabbea4.jpg

Sent from my Samsung S10+ using Tapatalk
 

 

 

Hundreds have worn like that over the years. 

 

Usually running them with pressure too low, combined with BMWs negative camber and side walls that are too stiff puts a lot of force on the inside edge. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, percha said:

Has anyone with an F11 had this happen on the inside of the rear tyres? Just wondering what was cause, as plenty of tread and wearing evenly. Maybe a pot hole or something has caught it?0059388fa3a2b99c5287036cadabbea4.jpg

Sent from my Samsung S10+ using Tapatalk
 

That is how runflats go. Typically when you have driven on them for a few miles while flat or close to flat.

 

I finally got rid of all my runflats a few weeks ago after my 9th or 10th puncture since 2009. Both 520D Msports and both with runflats. Hate the things.

 

In my experience only one or two of them were salvageable and able to continue to use after a puncture.Almost all had the same damage as you see in yours.

Edited by rasg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you have the suspension geometry checked and adjusted straight after getting new tyres. I had my F11 for 7 years running on those tyres and the wear was square (no negative camber impact) and they never gave way like that, it isn't normal so look for the issue elsewhere (unless there has been a puncture and the tyre was driven on with a lack of pressure which would also cause this - eventually)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Make sure you have the suspension geometry checked and adjusted straight after getting new tyres. I had my F11 for 7 years running on those tyres and the wear was square (no negative camber impact) and they never gave way like that, it isn't normal so look for the issue elsewhere (unless there has been a puncture and the tyre was driven on with a lack of pressure which would also cause this - eventually)

 

It may not be normal, but it's very common all the same, mostly as F11 factory camber is often excessive. As you say, full alignment required. Finding someone competent to do that alignment is another issue. BMW will align to a set specification with weights etc. The vast majority of alignment places won't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies, I will get it checked, its never had a puncture since I have owned it (1year, 1month) and all tyres are regularly checked for pressure. I believe from memory these tyres have a 2018 date code on them, and probably around 5/6mm left on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rasg said:

That is how runflats go. Typically when you have driven on them for a few miles while flat or close to flat.

 

I finally got rid of all my runflats a few weeks ago after my 9th or 10th puncture since 2009. Both 520D Msports and both with runflats. Hate the things.

 

In my experience only one or two of them were salvageable and able to continue to use after a puncture.Almost all had the same damage as you see in yours.

Thats how my last set of rears went. Had it aligned after replacing but I expect it common enough on F11s. If you look at the car or any F11 from the rear you can see the negative camber. Also, the pressures reccomended by BMW seem a bit low for the F11. Will keep an eye on it !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, percha said:

Has anyone with an F11 had this happen on the inside of the rear tyres? Just wondering what was cause, as plenty of tread and wearing evenly. Maybe a pot hole or something has caught it?0059388fa3a2b99c5287036cadabbea4.jpg

Sent from my Samsung S10+ using Tapatalk
 

Yep exactly this happened to ours...was quite good timing as I needed to put the winter wheels and tyres on. Swapped out all the tyres (winter and summer) for non runflats. Ride, grip all loads better. Run 19's for summers and 18's for winters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I aligned my headlights last night now that nights are getting darker again. The recently replaced drivers side one was slightly high, so sorted that out. Sadly not much else to report at the moment. I have done 900 miles in the car since December. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not mine but browsing while having my coffee

 

20200918-102258.jpg

520d msport manual £6995

 

Alot of car for the money

 

Will have just over 100k

 

The lights seem to be newer version for year accident damaged maybe.

Edited by marko530d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replaced cabin filters and let off an air con bomb to freshen up the hvac internals.

 

Slightly concerned to see a few drops of water up behind the glovebox area. There was some condensate at the bottom of the cabin filter housing so I'm hoping it was just some of that which had splashed up when I removed the cover. Logic suggests otherwise though, I think it was too high up for that so I'll be having a close look behind there next time there's any rain. Due to the angle the car was parked at it looks like it had been running diagonally from somewhere towards the centre of the bulkhead down towards the left side of the passenger footwell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garage rang to say my car is ready from insurance repair, so on Monday I should be reunited with the 5er! The 330d Touring (rental) has been nice but I shall welcome it back..

Sent from my Samsung S10+ using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/09/2020 at 11:57, Cadwell Parker said:

Replaced cabin filters and let off an air con bomb to freshen up the hvac internals.

 

Slightly concerned to see a few drops of water up behind the glovebox area. There was some condensate at the bottom of the cabin filter housing so I'm hoping it was just some of that which had splashed up when I removed the cover. Logic suggests otherwise though, I think it was too high up for that so I'll be having a close look behind there next time there's any rain. Due to the angle the car was parked at it looks like it had been running diagonally from somewhere towards the centre of the bulkhead down towards the left side of the passenger footwell.

Which filters did you go for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, marko530d said:

Which filters did you go for.

 

Mahle. I've had them lying around for a while. I think they came from Opie Oils or Autodoc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×