F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

On 31/07/2020 at 16:06, gIzzE said:

Check your coolant level. And try and check for any fumes. 

It could be your MAF. 

It could be your MAP sensor. 

I would get someone to rev and see if you can smell, or even better see, any exhaust fumes from the engine bay. 

The saga with Berry Heathrow is now into it's third week.

They had the car in on the 4th August and were warned that we were due to go on holiday later that day or the 5th. At 3.00 pm they called to say that the turbo had gone. No stock of course. Arrived the next morning and again at 3.00 pm called to say the turbo had been fitted and they had also found that the MAF sensor had gone. No MAF sensor in stock! They gave me a shiny new (2000 miles on it) 2020 BMW 530 Msport for a week while they fixed mine so we took it on holiday to the South coast. All under the extended BMW warranty. Excess of £250. A very refined, smooth and quick car. With no reversing camera. Lots of sensors but no camera. Generally very basic. The sound system was crap in comparison to my own, my pro sat nav and I like my HUD and panoramic roof.

I've had a SOS call system failure light showing on  the dash since January which I had assumed coincided with the BMW £150 pound of flesh requested each year so I can use the BMW app, RTTI on the nav and Internet in the car. NO biggie as I clicked the button on the left hand stalk and cancelled it.

A week later we came back from our hols, to be told that all was well with my F11. Nope. All was fine but I can no longer cancel the SOS call system failure light. NO external temperature on the dash along with the trip meter, MPG and other info showing below the speed and rev "dials".

They had it back in and fixed it. Halfway home the problem is back. Now telling me the Telematics box has gone. £1600 but warranted but £250 excess of course. The car has been in for the EGR recall and the turbo yet the warning has never been logged on either report. Told me the OSF tyre was getting a little low and the brake fluid change is late but didn’t think the Telematics box was a big enough thing to tell me the car has a problem.

My point has been that they are proactive enough to remind me about the tyres, brake fluid etc and IF they had warned me about the problem it could have been added to the warranty docket for the turbo rather than hitting me with a second £250 warranty excess. They did have the car for week!

I've taken it up with the manager of the site and they are having it in the first week in September to either take it back to where it was or replace the telematics box.

How long could this go on for?

Are you sure the warranty excess is not  time limited? I recall they can only charge you the excess once per year  not for every claim. 

I decided to renew my rear discs and pads today. Another job that went to ruin...

Took the wheel off, and my 12mm spacer wouldn't budge. Ruined it, but freed it off the hub eventually.

Next the disc wouldn't move, so brute force with a lump hammer eventually freed it.

Reset the caliper easily enough, which was good.

Took the old pads out, they are well worn.

Cleaned off the hub, little bit of copper grease applied to avoid future issues.

Got the new Brembo  discs out, and they didn't fit. The offset is way deeper than the discs I took off. A bit of googling says they're for an X5. So very frustratingly I had to put everything back together. I checked my order today, and it all checks out. God knows how Euro Car Parts ballsed this up, but they have.

The car won't be going anywhere for the next few days. Lucky that.

Updated the maps on my car's iDrive from its original 2010 spec to 2020-2 spec...still clunky as hell though and is a PITA to work out properly...I guess I better read the manual to get my head around it. It's certainly nowhere near as easy as Waze but I can't integrate as my head unit is CIC and won't do Carplay without a major upgrade in the entertainment area. 

Front brake pads next and working out how to replace the bulb in the front fog light or if it's a whole unit replacement...and then maybe think about a remap or would a 530d ECU work in the same way to up-rate the power seeing as its the same engine but with artificial detuning via the 525d ECU? 

3 hours ago, SidMan said:

...working out how to replace the bulb in the front fog light or if it's a whole unit replacement...

On the SE you literally pull out the lower grille adjacent to the foglight and you can see the 2 bolts to undo the light unit. 

On 23/08/2020 at 18:58, BFleming said:

I decided to renew my rear discs and pads today. Another job that went to ruin...

I brought the incorrectly labelled (X5) discs back to ECP today, they had some more on the shelf (which I knew before I went there) and did a side-by-side comparison. New ones are spot on, so that was a straight swap. Will put the new ones on the car this weekend.

I collected my car from a local garage today after having the alarm siren/module replaced. The old one was full of water, apparently quite a regular fail point tiggering the alarm randomly. Looking at the new one BMW seem to have resigned it to be more resistant to water ingress. I had the initial diagnosis done a couple of weeks ago while the car was having the near side trailing arm on the front suspension replaced. The garage also found the off side arm had a little play in the joint so that's been done as well The offside one was annoying as it had only been on the car for 14 months and 23000 miles, long enough to be out of any guarantee but still not expected to go so soon.

Hopefully the new arms (Lemforder) will last a bit longer and the new alarm unit will resolve the random triggering and allow me to lock the car outside the house overnight without fear of waking the neighbourhood. 

On 27/08/2020 at 18:47, Cadwell Parker said:

I collected my car from a local garage today after having the alarm siren/module replaced. The old one was full of water, apparently quite a regular fail point tiggering the alarm randomly. Looking at the new one BMW seem to have resigned it to be more resistant to water ingress. I had the initial diagnosis done a couple of weeks ago while the car was having the near side trailing arm on the front suspension replaced. The garage also found the off side arm had a little play in the joint so that's been done as well The offside one was annoying as it had only been on the car for 14 months and 23000 miles, long enough to be out of any guarantee but still not expected to go so soon.

Hopefully the new arms (Lemforder) will last a bit longer and the new alarm unit will resolve the random triggering and allow me to lock the car outside the house overnight without fear of waking the neighbourhood. 

Unfortunately the joys of owning a German made car both my previous  owned cars several years ago namely  Audi, and Volkswagen, suffered water ingress, and premature front suspension failures, even after replacing the lower suspension arms they still only lasted about 25,000 miles at the most, and water ingress was very similar to our F10's & F11's, rain coming off the front window could block the rubber drain valve very easily, then rain water would eventually overflow through the bulkhead and cause extensive damage to the cars central computer system, as this happened to me in the winter with no way to dry the car out, cost of replacement carpets and the CPU was in excess of £1700 and that was about 14 years ago, and the suspension I was quoted by the dealer £700 and I purchased the parts and done the work myself for £280, but those parts were supposed to be better but still did not last any longer than the original parts, from what information I gathered at the time  the suspension was unnecessarily too complicated and over engineered causing early wear on the VW & Audi, hopefully as time passes they all improve on their shortcomings.    

1 hour ago, Oilburner said:

from what information I gathered at the time  the suspension was unnecessarily too complicated and over engineered

Lol... My mechanic friend would say that comment sums up the whole car.

I'm keeping a close eye on the scuttle drains and hopefully I can put enough miles on my new suspension arms  to wear them out within 12 months and try getting them replaced under warranty :P

Bought myself some new lovely alloys but embarrassingly I had not done my home work and they are 112mm centres

Real shame thought they would look lovely on my F10    :-(  

IMG_1559.jpeg

IMG_1558.jpeg

Bought and Installed a Nextbase Dash Cam. Used the excellent how to guide on the forum to hard wire it - even managed to piggyback it onto fuse 54. 

Only problem I have is the trim piece housing the passenger air bag switch is not fully clicking into place and sitting flush at the bottom. Any tricks for refitting that piece?

Had my f10 f30d serviced, MOT and EGR cooler replaced today at BMW Boston. I drove from Leicester as BMW boston did an excellent job last year lobbying BMW for the full cost of replacing an instrument cluster. They saved me thousands so felt i owed them, hence the journey. No real complaints really apart from not hoovering my car and not cleaning sills when washing the car!

On 30/08/2020 at 14:03, guysat said:

Bought myself some new lovely alloys but embarrassingly I had not done my home work and they are 112mm centres

Real shame thought they would look lovely on my F10    :-(  

IMG_1559.jpeg

IMG_1558.jpeg

Some have fitted them to the F10. 

There are a few companies offering 120mm to 112mm adapters. 

Annual service time today. 10,000 miles done since the last one in July 2019, and the car has been to Spain and Germany since then. Also the fuel filter hadn't been done in my tenure, so that got done today. A multitude of screws to get the lower panel off, but it's a consolation when the car looks like new under there (after 7 years & 143,000 miles). Also lovely that 5.2 litres of oil comes out,  every time. Love this car.

Unfortunately someone decided to pull out on me whilst I was going straight on at a roundabout.. The 5er is badly bruised on the front near side, new wing, new wheel, new tyre, check camers/sensors for 360deg viewing. Its going off today to be fixed, I am getting a 330 Touring as courtesy car.

:( sad for my beloved 5er but no one hurt is the main thing!

On 9/3/2020 at 9:57 AM, gIzzE said:

I changed the silver hex trim to the grey fineline trim yesterday. Much more in keeping with the old man beige....

As an old man with a beige interior that looks nice, how much was the new trim?

On attempting to fit the new Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades purchased from Autodoc earlier in the year I was disappointed to find they had actually sent blades for a left hand drive car. It hadn't occurred to me to check before now, I just assumed they'd be the right ones and I was somehow missing something really obvious in my inability to make them fit but lo and behold they have a different part number 3 397 007 523 as opposed to 3 397 007 524 for right hand drive cars.

Contacted their support and have arranged to return them for a refund then bought a pair on Ebay for under £20. Not a huge concern but something to be aware of if ordering wiper blades from online retailers based outside the UK. 

Jacked mine up on front passenger side jack point earlier to take a wheel off and see if i can get another set of pads through the front discs (71k, original front pads and discs). All good.

On lowering the car back down I heard the front door seals creaking :shock: :blink: as the body (presumably) flexed. I jacked it back up and sure enough there was the noise again, like the door frame was twisting. Wtaf?

Ive never known a car do that. seals presumably dry but thats not the point - i thought the f10 were really rigid..

5 hours ago, 97suited said:

As an old man with a beige interior that looks nice, how much was the new trim?

I bought it off eBay. £145 delivered. 

The cups holders, start button etc. were all a bit tatty, but just took them off my old ones. To be fair many have them removed anyway. 

I have to say the 330d F31 Msport Touring I have a courtesy car is not that great IMHO compared to my 530d. Interior feels a bit cheap (plastics etc), door shutting sounds tinny, rattles (admittedly loan car so probably why), headlights are halogen, road noise much higher. No extras on this and just small things I expected like dropping nearside mirror in reverse etc...

Certainly will be fine for the duration mine is in, and is quite go kart like! Engine is almost identical in power output and gearbox I would say feels a little snappier.