F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

On 25/06/2020 at 11:50, Munzy123 said:

Wee run through to the Kingdom of Fife and returned 50.3 mpg - very happy with that for a 9 year old 114k 530d. 

Cruise control set to speed limit depending on road. 

054C65B1-D4E2-4ABB-BAFF-86A9F7C1181A.jpeg

50 mpg wow 

I got 40 mpg on 440mile trip to Plymouth. 525d 3.0d 

32 minutes ago, marko530d said:

50 mpg wow 

I got 40 mpg on 440mile trip to Plymouth. 525d 3.0d 

The highest i ever achieved was nearly 62 mpg on an evening run from SW london to cambridge. I used to regularly see 56 + mpg from my old 61 reg 530D and this was confirmed at the pump. It was amazingly efficient now my Skoda superb estate only gets about 5 mpg more from a 2.0 engine and its 4 years newer

IMG_20180508_120344.jpg

today i finished the centre console around the gearbox to get rid of the scratched silver covers.

happy with the result. whilst wiring up my wireless charger i also added two usb ports to the glove box for charging phones.

Screenshot_20200627-174606 (1).png

DSC_0167.JPG

16 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Must try harder Mark, I mean any clown can get 40mpg :lol:

image.jpg

My right foot must be heavier then yours.

How do you get 41mpg in a 535i andrew do you push it.:lol:

20200622-182716.jpg

My average speed is slightly higher then most.  :rolleyes:

Edited by marko530d

Drove mine for its weekly trip to the supermarket. It's only done 8 miles per week for weeks now. Stop start worked a couple of times so all is well in the electrical side of things despite such so few short trips. 

Still at least I was able to buy beer and charcoal. :lol:

Almost got into the 50mpg club 

20200629-112425.jpg

But gave up trying after 108miles.

And reverted to type.

Still good for a 3.0d

Edited by marko530d

What's a spark plug? If it's anything like a glow plug they can be a bit of a devil to get out! 

:ph34r:

14 hours ago, Boba said:

What's a spark plug?

Do you know, I nearly gave a Wiki link describing spark plugs for all those of a heavy oil burning persuasion as folk forget that proper engines still have spark plugs in them. :lol:

But I thought better of it.:D

14 hours ago, Boba said:

they can be a bit of a devil to get out! 

My E60 was tricky for access due to the shape of the engine with the rear one on each bank being tight up against equipment stuffed on the inner wings, but the actual plugs unscrewed fine and went back in without issue. The ones in the F10 have been changed by BMW four years ago so hopefully they'll come out o.k.  Its always the most nerve wracking job I do on a car.

Major service due in October, oil change, air filter, spark plugs, pollen filters and a vehicle check.  I'll do the service part but pay BMW to do the vehicle check so its up on a ramp and they can have a proper poke all over it.

16 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Do you know, I nearly gave a Wiki link describing spark plugs for all those of a heavy oil burning persuasion as folk forget that proper engines still have spark plugs in them. :lol:

But I thought better of it.:D

My E60 was tricky for access due to the shape of the engine with the rear one on each bank being tight up against equipment stuffed on the inner wings, but the actual plugs unscrewed fine and went back in without issue. The ones in the F10 have been changed by BMW four years ago so hopefully they'll come out o.k.  Its always the most nerve wracking job I do on a car.

Major service due in October, oil change, air filter, spark plugs, pollen filters and a vehicle check.  I'll do the service part but pay BMW to do the vehicle check so its up on a ramp and they can have a proper poke all over it.

nerve wracking - know what you mean! i just changed mine, and that screech noise as you screw them back in is gut wrenching!

5 hours ago, bmwmike said:

nerve wracking - know what you mean! i just changed mine, and that screech noise as you screw them back in is gut wrenching!

lol that's them just compressing the sealing ring on them, rather than the sound of ceramic parting! :lol:

Did you need a special thin narrow spark plug socket for your engine?

25 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

lol that's them just compressing the sealing ring on them, rather than the sound of ceramic parting! :lol:

Did you need a special thin narrow spark plug socket for your engine?

Ah i thought it was the dry threads screeching. Not nice anyway ha. I put a plug in a vice and overtightened it to see when they break. They are tough buggers - until they are not!

Socket.. n53 needs a bendy socket which i think might be thin walled too. The plug tube is angled. You can get away with a rigid one but it risks cracking the plug.

3 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Socket.. n53 needs a bendy socket which i think might be thin walled too. The plug tube is angled. You can get away with a rigid one but it risks cracking the plug.

I think I've read in TIS to use a universal joint so you can't move the plug socket at an angle which risks cracking the plug and only apply a torque.

This was the tool I needed to do the spark plugs on the E60!

DSCN0244.jpg

I needed something flexible to feed down into the bores between all the obstacles in the engine bay and then an extension above to get in with something to turn it!

Today i fitted some nice new rear disk and pads, the pads were due but i figured id do the disks at the same time too.

unfortunately the centre caps i had ordered where the incorrect size, have ordered the correct ones.

hubcentric 10mm spacers front and rear give the wheels a perfect flush fit withe car. still unsure on lowering. i want to for the looks but dont think the road around south wales justify it.

anyone have issues with clearances after the eibach 45/40mm drop kit?

IMG-20200629-WA0012.jpeg

IMG-20200629-WA0010.jpeg

IMG-20200630-WA0011.jpeg

IMG-20200630-WA0023.jpeg

10 hours ago, bmwmike said:

BMW%20Spark%20Plug%20Replacement%20Probl

Holy crap that looks a nightmare.  I've seen a similar picture for the N55 and I'm sure its vertical, will need to check.  Sodding injectors make it more difficult.  If it were only still a port injection engine, valves would run cooler and cleaner with no need to walnut blast the inlet tracts and you could get to the spark plug easier!

39 minutes ago, spawn9076 said:

plugs haha, more flexible and accurate use than the bendy tools used above

oh, on an n53?  the articulated socket is the correct tool, but whatever works i guess. My concern with the flexi extension is in case they twist and absorb torque, giving incorrect final torque at the plug.. if they dont twist, no worries.

no they were pretty good, they dont twist and can support up to 230nm so more than enough for the job. 

Anyone else has this "issue" when door wiring grommet turns white? All 4 of my door grommets white, spent 1 hour cleaning them today1df390e1d4fbde6d2ccad0f3cbc6a2a1.jpg&key=035a2ef8b1d1647fdc0d13fb7ccc142805c488064e954e5a6a12530dac7a3a8b

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Took mine for the first time since 6th of March on a drive of more than 4 miles. Hit motorway speeds for the first time since too.

All was well, brakes were a bit off at first but were o.k after the run. 

Oil and filter changed today, 700 miles short of the 10k I was aiming for. Thought I'd do it today while it was looking like staying dry. Vacuumed out most of the oil before removing the sump plug to drain out the dreggs.