F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

On 14/05/2020 at 07:32, 535i Andrew said:

Must have been a big bill for all those bits plus labour! But it would have transformed the drive of the car. Did you reuse the spring seats and top mounts like you were thinking off?

Thats a pity as you need to take the control arm off to get into the last wheel bearing bolt. Going on experience from my E60 and an F07 owner, I would recommend doing the wheel bearing at the same time as the control arm purely because it needs to come out and most likely will put up a fight and may result in damage to it getting it out. However in your case  as they have just been replaced, it should come back out again easily to allow access.

Once you do the brakes you will have a that new car feel.

Front discs (brembo) and pads (textar) done with new wear sensor (pagid) and spring retainer clip thingy (mintex) along with 2 new front bearings (skf)

Car rides and sounds beautifully.

Springs and shocks have yet to settle down a little but no more judder, no more squealing, no more groans or whining! Wallets significantly lighter but let's see if I can get another 100k out of it.

Going to be a dpf wash once this lockdown is over and check turbo for play

Took kids out for some exercise yesterday, apparently if you dont look back you bought the wrong car.

20200517-085414.jpg

We did pop into Gregg's drive through ( no steak bakes left :angry: ) 

20200516-144806.jpg

Filled up at shell (same location)

Diesel at 104.99

Unleaded at 99.49 

Been a while since we have seen it below £1 a litre.

Edited by marko530d

@BFleming, give it a scrub with a nonstick dish scrubbing sponge. That will really help and won't damage the alloy.

The Bilt Hamber Auto wheel wash is thicker and a bit more concentrated so will work better than the Korrosol which is more aimed at bodywork fall out remover than baked on brake dust. I still scrub with the wheel wash stuff to get it to come up clean after perhaps two applications.

I only offer that as I wouldn't have patience for 8 applications, fair play though they have come up really well. 

1 hour ago, marko530d said:

Took kids out for some exercise yesterday, apparently if you dont look back you bought the wrong car.

20200517-085414.jpg

We did pop into Gregg's drive through ( no steak bakes left :angry: ) 

20200516-144806.jpg

Filled up at shell (same location)

Diesel at 104.99

Unleaded at 99.49 

Been a while since we have seen it below £1 a litre.

I filled the F11 yesterday ... at the current exchange rate it comes in at 87p / litre for diesel :D

Not exactly today, but racked up a few miles over the weekend - took the car into work, thought i'd give her a blast! :) 

First time I've ever been on the M25 without stopping :o

Driving the go-kart (peugeot) around as a daily definitely allows me to appreciate the F10 much more!! Glad i bought it (the go-kart) that is :grin:

On 16/05/2020 at 13:59, Skynet5 said:

You sold your car? 

Yeah. 

Not sure where I am at with my business going forward, and thought I could do with the money in the bank more than sat in metal outside. 

I have an E91 as well, so can use that for now, although that is a manual, so may swap that for an auto as it is my only car. 

I keep looking at the rather nice 550i F11 for sale. Personally think it is around £4k too much at the moment, but would love that. 

1 hour ago, gIzzE said:

I keep looking at the rather nice 550i F11 for sale. Personally think it is around £4k too much at the moment, but would love that. 

That engine is a bit risky, well documented issues, more so in America where they were understandably more popular.  Timing chains, injectors, mass air flow sensors, vacuum pumps all gave problems.  I think BMW in USA bought a load of them back from owners who were fed up with the headaches. 

But its a V8, and owning a V8 is an itch all us petrolheads need to scratch. ;)  It would make a great noise when planting the right foot with the turbos spooling up. A V8 bellow with the snarl of the turbos......:wub:

32 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

But its a V8, and owning a V8 is an itch all us petrolheads need to scratch

I had a Rover SD1 3500 V8 for a while but that was back in 1990 or so when petrol was a lot more affordable. 

1 minute ago, Cadwell Parker said:

I had a Rover SD1 3500 V8 for a while but that was back in 1990

I would have thought, even the youngest SD1, by 1990 would have looked like 

DARK-BLUE-ROVER-SD1-10-510x340.jpg

Great cars and worth saving but, they could proper rust out like all good BL products.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

I would have thought, even the youngest SD1, by 1990 would have looked like 

DARK-BLUE-ROVER-SD1-10-510x340.jpg

Great cars and worth saving but, they could proper rust out like all good BL products.

Lol Yes, mine had some issues in that regard but was at least structurally sound. 

always wanted an SD1, straight six would have been acceptable back in the day but always wanted the v8. The sport one (vitesse or vanden plas?) in red ideally. The youtube has a video of one with a spitfire engine - 36L v12 iirc, worth a look..

One of my tyres is a Bridgestone other three are dunlop.

Got to say that dont sit well with me.

dunlop hunting.......

:-x

6 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

always wanted the v8. The sport one (vitesse or vanden plas?) in red ideally

Mine was a red V8s (extra 10bhp) with 'ex police' 4 pot callers and Spax adjustable shock absorbers. Reg IIRC was BHG159V. I may have an old photo somewhere... 

11 minutes ago, marko530d said:

dunlop hunting

That would bother me as well.

I was tempted by Dunlop but ended up with Goodyears which I have to say are excellent. .

11 hours ago, marko530d said:

dunlop hunting.......

:-x

You'll find one almost new on eBay. I had another run flat bite the dust three weeks ago and my intention was to finally get rid of them. Money being a bit tight at the moment meant that would have meant buying two so I found a part worn identical run flat for the opposite side so they matched with 5.5 mm of tread. It looked close to new and I drove 45 miles on the space saver to have to fitted. Mine was a Dunlop. Now to recover the cash from the council for the pothole...  

45 minutes ago, rasg said:

Now to recover the cash from the council for the pothole...  

Good luck with that.  I'm helping a colleague (£600 worth of damage) at work do just that.

Over and above telling them what happened and sending pictures of the pothole and damage to the car which needs to be recorded on an invoice "damage consistent with being struck by pothole" etc, you will need to request a FOI of the road inspection reports and a list of damage reports received from the public.  You will need to prove that the council already knew about the hole, if they didn't know about it they can get out of a claim.  If its on their own inspection reports even better.  You can also ask how they inspect the roads and pick that method to shreds.  How can one bloke in a van who is driving also spot potholes, if its two men in a van, one driving and one spotting, how do you know the second bloke isn't asleep or posting nonsense on a car forum and not paying attention to his job.

12 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Mine was a red V8s (extra 10bhp)

On a similar note if you stick on the tri colour ///M grill slats on, that gives you as much as an extra 30bhp, according to 318d drivers. :lol:

12 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

I may have an old photo somewhere... 

Yeah lets see a pic, my dads friend had a 2.6 I think, it wasn't a V8 is all I remember my dad saying.  A mate from uni, his dad had a 3500 parked up in their back garden slowly turning back to nature.  Lovely big barge of a car.  Sad thing is though the 3500cc only gave out around 155 bhp stock.  My wifes, titchy in comparison bt modern, 1500cc gives out 170 bhp!

25 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Good luck with that.  I'm helping a colleague (£600 worth of damage) at work do just that.

Over and above telling them what happened and sending pictures of the pothole and damage to the car which needs to be recorded on an invoice "damage consistent with being struck by pothole" etc, you will need to request a FOI of the road inspection reports and a list of damage reports received from the public.  You will need to prove that the council already knew about the hole, if they didn't know about it they can get out of a claim.  If its on their own inspection reports even better.  You can also ask how they inspect the roads and pick that method to shreds.  How can one bloke in a van who is driving also spot potholes, if its two men in a van, one driving and one spotting, how do you know the second bloke isn't asleep or posting nonsense on a car forum and not paying attention to his job.

I am having the same saga with the council, it is going on since December last year! I took photos of the pothole and and damaged tyre, filled the form and sent it to Glasgow Council, 3 months later I got an email saying:

The existence of a defect in the road, does not, in itself, establish negligence on the part of the Council. We can advise that, in line with the above, the location of your accident is subject to inspection 12 times per annum. In accordance with this inspection regime and prior to your accident, the locus was inspected on 22 November (I hit the pothole on 18 December) 2019 and, at that time, no actionable defects were noted at the area!

Funny enough, that pothole was fixed 2 days later!!! 

I emailed them back saying I disagree with their refusal and want to see reports of the road inspection and planning on how long it takes to fix the road once they know there is a pothole, so far I heard nothing from them, probably due to virus situation. Last email I sent them was end of March 2020.

Andrew, I hope your claim will be successful! Keep me update please.

I spent more than £200 to fix the car after hitting that pothole!

That's why you need to pick holes in their inspection methods and the fact that such a long time has passed since the last inspection at that time of year where there is heavy rainfall etc etc. Glasgow City Council are hard up at the moment, having to pay backpay to female employees, Eva's pants and shoe bill and the leaders taxi fares.

My colleague is in the same boat waiting to hear back from South Lanarkshire.

55 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Sad thing is though the 3500cc only gave out around 155 bhp stock.

IIRC the standard motor was 150 bhp while the 's' version made 160, came with a manual gearbox and could be identified from an additional ventilation slot just above the front bumper as well as a small red letter S next to the 3500 badge on the back, but enough digressing for now. Back to the thread :ph34r: :P 

2 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Back to the thread :ph34r: :P 

Sorry! One last tribute to the SD1, being utterly brilliant in this video.

If you listen carefully you can hear the V8s doing what V8s do best. 

End of Rover chat. :lol: