F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Spent a couple more hours cleaning up these winter wheels this morning. I'm quite pleased with how they've turned out. 

After a couple of goings over with Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel  and a wipe down with some panel wipe I gave them two coats of this stuff...

20191124-113431.jpg

It's good stuff, lasts for ages and is very easy to apply. The difficult bit, as with a lot of things is in the preparation.

After a bit of work the wheels are looking as good as new on the front.

20191124-113004.jpg

Two of them are remarkably clean on the back too.

20191124-113136.jpg

Disappointingly the other two appear to have had some kind of top coat applied over a layer of dirt which no amount of Bilt Hamber or elbow grease is going to shift 

20191124-113148.jpg

Still not too bad for winter wheels though. I might get round to fitting them later today and will update the other thread as regards whether the TPMS works

19 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Disappointingly the other two appear to have had some kind of top coat applied over a layer of dirt which no amount of Bilt Hamber or elbow grease is going to shift 

20191124-113148.jpg

Classic sign of a poor quality rim refurb. Tart up the front face to sell the car on without properly cleaning the barrel before applying the lacquer. 

It depends how bad your OCD is if you can live with it. :ph34r::D

Got back from my work trip to Lahore Pakistan, and collected the BM from Barons, put it in as the rear N/S wheel bearing started to rumble last Sunday (not this one just gone).

So booked it in and just left it with them on Wednesday before I headed off to the airport, I did mention to the Service guy that I didn't really expect a 3 year old car with 23k on the clock to have wheel bearing failure....plus its a bit of a coincidence that this also was the wheel that they had to smash the overtightened locking wheel nut off.

Anyhow picked it up today no bill, not even the slightest suggestion of any charge, was nicely surprised as I did expect to have a bit of a ruck over it!

Just noticed that your 18" tyres @Cadwell Parker are Dunlop SP Winters.  I had them in 17" size and I thought they were better than the Continental Winters I've now got in 18" size.  I'll need new winters perhaps next year and I know I'm not going back to the Contis so it would be good to know that you make of them.

They must have really mullered that hub @nick_mcuk to damage a wheel bearing, when you think of the loads the bearings take when the wheel hits a pothole for example. 

5 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

They must have really mullered that hub @nick_mcuk to damage a wheel bearing, when you think of the loads the bearings take when the wheel hits a pothole for example. 

I think it was the use of the slide hammer that stretched the bearing they are not designed to have that sort of lateral shocking. 

I have the Conti Winters on mine, horrible things. 

I hate Continental tyres, these were on the wheels, and although 6mm or so on them 3 years old. 

They always go so hard and crashy, these feel the same. Or maybe they are like it from new on these? 

Liveable over winter, but ruining the car. 

22 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

would be good to know that you make of them

I've driven them for roughly 60 miles today, just going to work and back.  I'm not sure these are the best examples to judge given they are date stamped 2011. It's just the runflat thing I guess but coming from the Crossclimates I don't like the feel of them at all. They feel very solid and seem to transmit every road imperfection through the suspension into the car. On the Crossclimates the car feels smooth and refined like a top line luxury car should. On the run flats it's edging more towards a fork lift truck. Maybe a slight exageration there but I feel the Crossclimates suit the car a lot better. 

They seem to grip ok but I haven't really pushed them and don't really  fancy driving too hard on them given they are so old. It'd be interesting to get some proper winter conditions to properly test both tyres in but unless the snow arrives very soon I think it'll be too late for that as I intend to swap the Crossclimates over onto the winter wheels at the earliest opportunity. In fact I'll be loading them into the car in the morning in case I have time to get to the tyre fitters after work.

1 hour ago, nick_mcuk said:

Got back from my work trip to Lahore Pakistan, and collected the BM from Barons, put it in as the rear N/S wheel bearing started to rumble last Sunday (not this one just gone).

So booked it in and just left it with them on Wednesday before I headed off to the airport, I did mention to the Service guy that I didn't really expect a 3 year old car with 23k on the clock to have wheel bearing failure....plus its a bit of a coincidence that this also was the wheel that they had to smash the overtightened locking wheel nut off.

Anyhow picked it up today no bill, not even the slightest suggestion of any charge, was nicely surprised as I did expect to have a bit of a ruck over it!

More to the point, how was Lahore?!

8 hours ago, apples12 said:

More to the point, how was Lahore?!

Take every preconceived idea you have and throw them away!

It is an amazing place the people are all so warm and friendly, the food is amazing, its safe and secure.

I never once felt scared or worried.

9 hours ago, gIzzE said:

They always go so hard and crashy, these feel the same. Or maybe they are like it from new on these? 

Liveable over winter, but ruining the car. 

Thats exactly the description I would use. First time I fitted the 18" Winter Contis it felt hard and crashy, compared to the 19" summers I'd just taken off and the previous 17" Dunlop winters I had. I put it down to the increased tyre pressure the 18" winters run at, but I'm not so convinced which I was keen to know what @Cadwell Parker makes of the same Dunlops just in a different size.

Once you get used to the winter rubber, (the first two weeks of them on mine this year I was lighting up the back end) they do inspire more confidence in the poor conditions, the 17" rims were too wallowy for me coming from 19" and the 18" seems to be the compromise but I need a better winter tyre next time. I'll probably go non rft too.

The wife's Kuga came with Contis from new but they have been replaced with Goodyear Eagle Assymetrics and the difference is night and day, more grip, less noise. Pity as my E39 was sublime on its Contis.

9 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

It'd be interesting to get some proper winter conditions to properly test both tyres in but unless the snow arrives very soon I think it'll be too late for that as I intend to swap the Crossclimates over onto the winter wheels at the earliest opportunity. In fact I'll be loading them into the car in the morning in case I have time to get to the tyre fitters after work.

Weathergirl this morning said it's going to get cold and frosty our way at the weekend.

Take every preconceived idea you have and throw them away!

It is an amazing place the people are all so warm and friendly, the food is amazing, its safe and secure.

I never once felt scared or worried.

I'm glad you had such a positive experience and hope you visit the country again :)

44 minutes ago, apples12 said:

I'm glad you had such a positive experience and hope you visit the country again :)

I will be back there next year for sure. Lots of business opportunity out there for us.

We were even on the Pakistan Local News yesterday too :) 

I had my Crossclimates fitted to my newly acquired winter wheels. Two days of driving on 8 year old run flats was enough. The car once again feels how a big luxurious estate car should. The run flats are so solid and hard feeling, for me they ruin the feel of the car.

1 minute ago, Cadwell Parker said:

I had my Crossclimates fitted to my newly acquired winter wheels. Two days of driving on 8 year old run flats was enough. The car once again feels how a big luxurious estate car should. The run flats are so solid and hard feeling, for me they ruin the feel of the car.

I agree....the ride on my non runflat 18" winters is sublime.

Roll on summer for the normal tyres on the 19" M-Sport wheels.

That reminds me must put the 2 good 19" runflats on eBay :)

That reminds me must put the 2 good 19" runflats on eBay

I'm going to post these run flats I've got for sale. They're old and quite worn but someone might give me £30 for them

Just now, Cadwell Parker said:

I'm going to post these run flats I've got for sale. They're old and quite worn but someone might give me £30 for them

Yeah the ones off the front of ours are pretty new Dunlops so gotta be worth £100 

I recently had the oil and spark plugs replaced by the dealer which left the

air and pollen filters which I tackled today. 

Really easy following the guides I found, including Andrew's (rare) 535i air filter advice. Vacuumed out the debris in the air filter housing whilst I was in there. 

Interesting that the air filter also fits Rolls Royce Dawn, Ghost and Wraith according to the info on the packaging. I was quite pleased to see that as a BMW owner, but probably would have been less impressed if I'd shelled out for a RR. Then again, if I had a RR I probably would know where the bonnet release was let alone the air filter! 

Got the parts from Opie. One word of advice when ordering the pollen filters: you only need to order one unit as it contains two filters (Opie were very good about taking the second unit back). 

Can't help wondering why BMW made changing them so easy on the E60 (pods under the bonnet) but chose to hide them away behind interior panels in the F10? Engineering necessity or to dissuade DIYers? 

The dealer couldn't reset the oil service warning because they weren't replacing the air filters, so I did that myself using the trip button: 10 seconds... 

Easy job and even though I bought quality Mahle products, saved £140!

Edited by Caesar
Additional info

On 01/12/2019 at 17:53, Caesar said:

Interesting that the air filter also fits Rolls Royce Dawn, Ghost and Wraith according to the info on the packaging. I was quite pleased to see that as a BMW owner, but probably would have been less impressed if I'd shelled out for a RR.

I paid ~£50 for a set of genuine BMW value line rear brake pads and wear sensor for my E60 (in 2014 I think) and that packaging had various Rolls Royce models as applicable applications. They of course are just E65s underneath, and the bigger E60 bits fit the E65 so it makes sense. Same is obviously applicable in the F platforms.

Despite probably not even being allowed in a RR dealer to find out, I shuddered to think what the would have cost from RR.

Glad my guide was of use.

picked it up after its EGR cooler replacement...

noticed it had a hole in the top of the air filter box - they claim it was there when I dropped it off..

more BMW mysteries

Nox sensor replaced. Should improve my mpg from 17 to 24mpg like it was before!!  Not too bad a job, the old sensor was bloody tight though. Love how easy the f10 is to jack up at rear.

Noticed my rear diff bush has two of the legs split, wonder if I'll be replacing that soon.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 23:05, bmwmike said:

Love how easy the f10 is to jack up at rear.

Jack on the main diff casing and axle stands under the sill jacking points? 

I remember you having talking about issues with the NOx, did it give you more bother and you bit the bullet?