F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

mines getting the door corrosion fixed..  :D

Screengrab from the bodyshop who are doing the work. And i must say, they have been utterly fantastic so far. Hope the finish lives up to their excellent communications and service so far.  They've been sending me videos of progress. 

Screenshot from 2019-09-13 10-44-10.png

27 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

That’s just about a full side respray, for a tiny bit of corrosion. :shock:

But how else would you do it. 

both sides.. !  

:o

Edited by bmwmike

2 hours ago, bmwmike said:

both sides.. ! 

That's what I had done. I didn't get any videos though, just a phone call when it was ready. I feel cheated :lol:

Glad to see they're doing a proper job for you.

Replaced the EGR valve on my B47 520d. 

All hesitation now gone at last, hoorah!! 

Plugged the DTUK Tri-Channel box back in as well, such a massive difference. 

Can’t believe that the rattly door lock pins are still an issue in the F10/11! My E91 had the same problem years before. It’s right next to my ear as well so no escaping it...

Anyway saw a great tip on here (sorry can’t remember who). No need to take off the door card. 

- used couple of plastic trim tools to pop off the small surround. 

- one small sticky felt patch (£1 from Tesco pound section :) ) put inside then pushed back on. 

Bliss, funny how the whole car just feels more ‘solid’ now!

B3C1A46A-4AB1-49BD-95A9-E83C3854256E.jpeg

C8A6EEBF-A112-4212-9A9D-AD4AE0673BF7.jpeg

Edited by Munzy123

Cleaned out the offside front scuttle drain.

And while I was in there I double checked which size of cap from my Gunson Eezibleed kit fits the brake fluid reservoir 

352B04B8-FBA1-4B7A-9909-950EFF69599C.jpg

Checked the tyre pressures too, all good. 

Window had streaks and smears of oil  with windscreen some annoying "rainbows" of oil.

Bought some McGuiars glass compound - machine polished the windscreen getting rid of the rainbows, lightening some of the scratches ever so slightly.  

I then did the other windows by hand and really pleased with the results - super smooth and smear free :)

Really finishes the car off with another layer of wax all over :)

utyu.jpg

hghg.jpg

hgh.jpg

6 hours ago, GEO147 said:

Would that work on very minor stone chips. My winds teen has a million of them. 

Unfortunately not mate. It only seemed to remove the layer of grim/film/oil that I couldn’t remove with normal washing, which is what I was aiming for anyway. 

I did give it a good 3 or 4 passes using the most aggressive pad I have on the DA machine but it hardly touched even minor scratches - any stone chips or physical marks you can feel it made virtually no difference :( I was expecting this as I had read that the laminate coating on windscreens is super tough, which makes sense. 

Still happy with the results though and well worth the finish it produced on all the glass. 

Only annoying thing is that I bought Bosch wipers but the fitment method looks terrible compared to the BMW one - it leaves the small spindle exposed and it does not have the nice wee ‘wing’ moulding on it so will have to wait for new wipers. 

Edited by Munzy123

7 hours ago, GEO147 said:

Would that work on very minor stone chips. My winds teen has a million of them. 

The windscreens on these must be made out of cheese, I'm on screen number 3 and will be getting number 4 fitted soon after a new large rock chip but they all suffered from lots of tiny tiny dot like chips which are horrid when driving into the sun

20 minutes ago, apples12 said:

The windscreens on these must be made out of cheese, I'm on screen number 3 and will be getting number 4 fitted soon after a new large rock chip but they all suffered from lots of tiny tiny dot like chips which are horrid when driving into the sun

After 9 months of ownership I'm with you on this. I never had a problem with the large rubble carrying trucks going past my parked mazda 3. Now my 5gt shows the marks all but the dust thay come off them. I don't fancy a new windscreen every year as my Christmas present...

I bought some genuine 18" wheels so that we can fit winter tyres to them, got them off ebay last weekend, had to drive to Wembley, but they were a bit of a bargain at £250!

All 4 are straight and original, just a bit unloved and battered, but me being me I could see some potential :)

One of the photos from the advert:

fullsizeoutput_1cd5_zps6ixrfxif.jpeg

Look so much better after a deep clean:

NLIfITlVRez5JxEiIo4UQ_zpsmkt9sqkc.jpg

General condition pics:

ax9HG4jOQaIZ82XattAlQ_zpsxhp9iusw.jpg
8EWoffrKShKe6vDg7AAGsg_zpslhhcqed8.jpg
m4MnqALERTGOgtV8NWQ_zpshlhncw35.jpg
U0PB3hAQSGKUmMGBXRaLw_zps1xo8c3sw.jpg
ho6iJI9rT1K6HlFmaX1Qcg_zpsy4f1nybp.jpg
ml0hp4vCSHShT0QuxxNQ_zpsompnyhh8.jpg

After a good bit of sanding with 80 then 120 finishing off with 240 grits pretty much all the kerb rash is gone...then given a decent coat of etch primer and left to dry over night and in the sun yesterday (Saturday). Once little man was in bed i headed out to the garage and started to shoot the base coat....couple coats and the faces and barrels were done....gave it 20 mins to flash off (got to love fast base coat thinners!) then shot the 2k clear. Pretty chuffed with the result as this is my first time spraying proper car paint thats not in a rattle can.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_10a07_zps1xrg3xyb
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_109fd_zpswcc2yq0t
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_10a03_zpseyaqqx44
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_109ff_zpsyya9u0zh
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_10a0a_zpskzuo55o8
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_10a00_zpsji56ulw6
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_10a05_zpsyjr8hzhq

There are some areas where there is some "grot" in the base...but these are winter wheels and for a first attempt well chuffed.

So far these wheels have cost £250 for the wheels, £80 for the paint and probably £10-15 in sundries...Got some TPMS sensors coming and they were £130 odd so not doing too bad expense wise :)

Edited by nick_mcuk

Inspired by nick mcUK I tried my hand at refurbing an old 350m alloy.

I used alu filler to fill the deep gouges. Then I used an old can of grey primer I had laying around. Then I couldnt decide whether to go gun metal grey or carbon black (the only two colours I had to hand, the grey being my log burner touch up) so in true welshman spirit I went half-n-half.

Was a bit of fun anyway and I learnt a bit. :)

Pleased with the alu fill. Think I'll try my actual wheels next.

The grey is darker than the pic.

15691746793881077594679.jpg

Edited by bmwmike

6 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Got ready for 01/11/19 when the lights and gas goes out post Brexit.:D

7884B972-77A5-40AC-90AE-F5A840F04F1A.jpg

Also gave the battery a charge as I only did a few short trips at the weekend. 

Hahah that wont be dry enough by then :) #notbrexitready :D 

13 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Inspired by nick mcUK I tried my hand at refurbing an old 350m alloy.

I used alu filler to fill the deep gouges. Then I used an old can of grey primer I had laying around. Then I couldnt decide whether to go gun metal grey or carbon black (the only two colours I had to hand, the grey being my log burner touch up) so in true welshman spirit I went half-n-half.

Was a bit of fun anyway and I learnt a bit. :)

Pleased with the alu fill. Think I'll try my actual wheels next.

The grey is darker than the pic.

15691746793881077594679.jpg

Nice!! 

But did you got fully "Breaking Bad Style" though?? :)

E45EC603-B8CF-4EF6-9E75-DB4BCAF60F25_zps