F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

13 hours ago, Big A said:

If looking for 4 wheel alignment in Glasgow, there is also M. B. Jarvie over in Kinning Park who have a brand new Hunter set up.

I don't know them. I'll need to have a look. Thanks.

Do you know what they charge for an alignment?

23 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Their website is very clear on costs, one of the better indi websites I've seen.

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Their website is very clear on costs, one of the better indi websites I've seen.

It is yes, my bad being lazy on a Saturday:ph34r: #busted!

I will need to factor in the extra costs over and above to get the camber adjusted. Normally needs adjusted on 5 ers from my experience.

Lol I wonder if I could get them to ballast up mine to 93.2kg in the drivers seat.  :D

Ballast is probably quite appropriate to describe my weight. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yip, as @Matthew Ashton said, all costs are on their site, and again as he mentioned their site is really good.

They are a family business and Adam has invested a lot in new technology in the garage and really knows his stuff, and his dad is the old school proper mechanic who tends to do more restoration work on classic Rolls and Bentleys. They are the perfect combination in old and new technology.

On 8/16/2019 at 4:46 PM, 535i Andrew said:

Have you just recently switched back on the aircon

I wouldn't quite put it that way. I don't use it constantly but I know it's best to run the air con regularly so I make sure it goes on regularly even if it doesn't feel like it needs to be on. The HVAC is always running in some form and the A/C is never off for long.

On 8/16/2019 at 4:46 PM, 535i Andrew said:

After mine was parked up for over a week when on holiday there was a small whiff from the system

I wonder if you were getting a similar smell. It was difficult to describe but definitely not a damp, foisty, mouldy smell, thankfully not rotten socks or stale urine either which I've read about people getting.

I used an air con bomb in the car yesterday which along with the new microfilters has helped a lot. Smells lovely in there now.

Full paint correction.

- Strip wash

- Fallout decontamination

- Clay

- Scratches and swirls taken out with DA and compound

Tomorrow:

- DA polish

- Hand paste wax

- Plastics reconditioned

She already looks stunning and paint feels smooth, will try and post some pics tomorrow.

Car feels like it is truly mine now :) 

13 hours ago, Jimbo07g41 said:

I had a squeaky aux belt replaced and changed the oil.

11 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Was it just the belt that was replaced or were any of the pulleys/tensioners replaced too?

I agree, belts don’t squeak! It’s almost always knackered bearings in the pulleys or tensioners and even though a belt replacement alone may fix it temporarily (because the new belt is tighter, putting pressure on the pulleys)  then it will almost always return once the belt loosens up.

1 hour ago, asharb123 said:

the car just looks amazing

They look very nice and suit the car very well. Quite an improvement. Which style wheels are they?

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:12 PM, 535i Andrew said:

Was it just the belt that was replaced or were any of the pulleys/tensioners replaced too?

I agree that the pulleys should also be done but I got that bit done for free.  My wallet has taken a bashing and I had to get an oil change due to the engine work.  Been down to the south coast this weekend and all is good.

Currently hooning around south west Ireland in the 530i and with 3 adults and 2 kids plus luggage the F10 really is very good family car. No problems to report. Over takes with ease if a little drama with 6000 odd rpm and it steps out sometimes which is fun. Cars filthy in a "mmm you're dirrrty" sort of way, if you Ken what I mean. Looks so good. 

Btw I mentioned this on PH already but my top tip for the F10 is to run the tyre pressures close to the fully loaded range and it drives so much better. Far less bounce, surprisingly, and the damping works better and better turn in on the steering as well. It's how the car should be IMO.

Edited by bmwmike

Had a puncture on way to work this morning. I had Pirelli Cinturato run flats on rear. Both insides of rear tyres are shredded with the wire showing. LH rear went on way to work. Had to limp 8km to nearest tyre place. They only had 1 245/45/R18 in the place and it was a Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 ROF 245/45 R18 100Y XL *, MOE, runflat.

Are these decent tyres? I had no choice but to accept what they had there this morning and got charged €250. Online can be got for €150 :rolleyes:. The other rear required has just been ordered. Ill be taking it handy until it arrives.

The very inside of both rears very badly worn. Is this normal in and F11 Msport? I take it I need an alignment or could it be due to rear air springs? 

When car was put back on ground after the lift today it was super low at the rear but then came back after a few mins. I presume this is normal.

Edited by GEO147

One off the car is one that blew. One on the car is still on it till new rubber arrives. Bought car 18 months ago so no idea what total milage is on them but they looked ok from outside/rear view. No idea what was actually going on on inside.

20190827_093338.jpg

20190827_093346.jpg

The Goodyear is a fine tyre. I run them on the wife's Kuga in a slightly different 18" size and non rft, quiet and plenty of grip. 

My F10 doesn't wear the inner edges on the differing tyre sizes I've used, I would assume the F11 should be similar. Get a full four wheel alignment done to be sure. 

After a car has been jacked up with its suspension fully dropped, it will take a short journey to reseat itself at the right height. The F11 will self adjust with its air springs too. 

35 minutes ago, GEO147 said:

I run 2.4 in the rear and 2.3 in the front. Is that advisable? What do others run?

I run 2.5 in the front and 2.7 in the rear, Goodyear non rft 

Please tell me you inspect your tyres relatively regularly?!

Incorrect geometry (toe and camber) will most likely be the cause

Both are adjustable on the rear but camber cannot be adjusted in front (can replace torque arm for a different compensating length which is expensive).

i run 2.3 and 2.6 bar front rear for the light loads I commonly drive with and get very even tread wear 

Go to a place with a hunter alignment machine eg STS

they won’t use ballast weights prescribed by BMW for the data they use but you will get a decent enough set up or check if the operator knows what they are doing which will identify the problem

21 minutes ago, apples12 said:

I run 2.5 in the front and 2.7 in the rear, Goodyear non rft 

Please tell me you inspect your tyres relatively regularly?!

I do of course but this particular issue was not noticed by me when I did. Its because it is so far to the inside of the tyre. But lesson learned and Ill be under the car next time I check them. Car was also in BMW at Christmas and they said I would need new tyres soon, but didnt say look lad your tyres are f****** dangerous. If they had I would have changed them ages ago.

I was shocked when I saw the state of them when car was up on lift. Very lucky. But I have to say the warning system and the run flats did the job to get me where I needed to go. 

Once new tyre on car will be aligned, hopefully this week.

@GEO147, Christ, I hadn't seen your pics when I last responded. That could have been nasty.

As others have said it must be bad alignment as your pressures are there or thereabouts what I imagine they should be for a Touring.

Definitely get an alignment done as that's too much localised wear relative to the rest of the tyre.

Here's the plate from my F11 showing the recommended pressures...

20190217-183036.jpg

Just to agree with the previous comments, I'd say you need to get your suspension geometry/alignment checked out. I had my F11 done on a Hunter set up when I had new tyres fitted recently and it made a big difference to the feel of the car. Looking at those photos you'll notice a major improvement.

Thanks guys. 

LET THE PICS OF MY TYRES SERVE AS A REMINDER TO OTHERS TO CHECK REGULARLY (MYSELF INCLUDED).

NB Had I been in an accident im pretty sure the insurance company would have refused any responsibility given the state of my tyres. Car drove and felt ok!