F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

I'll try to record mine, almost like a buzzing sound before the engine is started. 

Where did you purchase the ones you have out of interest? 

8 hours ago, roundy said:

I'll try to record mine, almost like a buzzing sound before the engine is started. 

Where did you purchase the ones you have out of interest? 

Got them from eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372526060845

Hi fellows... I think this might be my first post here :) I've recently bought a nice F11 in Alpine White and though I'd share a couple of pics since I've done a couple of things to it... none today though :( 

I've recently traded my old F10 for this F11 and I'm loving it... it's got *almost* everything I wanted it to have (only thing missing is the panroof which I really wanted but couldn't find any with). Last picture is of my old F10.

GzmPix-4877.jpg

GzmPix-4814.jpg

GzmPix-4825.jpg

GzmPix-4886.jpg

GzmPix-4920.jpg

GzmPix-3205.jpg

Edited by Gzmdesign

8 minutes ago, bmwf113.0d said:

Not a fan of black wheels, but that looks lovely. 

Thanks bud, I obviously had them on the previous car, but I think they look even better on the white body... I've also done the grills (hate the chrome), I've done a bit of frosted vinyl work on the back windows (I've got a cutting plotter so can cut my own stickers) and also done a fair bit of coding on it... besides the loss of a few mpgs, this car is better than my previous one in every single way!

Just fitted some new wiper blades. The old ones were of unknown age having been on the car since I bought it. They may even be originals :shock: Anyway their performance has been deteriorating and despite my giving them a regular clean they had been making that horrible swishing sound on the screen and the thought of all those microscopic particles grinding the glass finally got to me. A new set of Bosch Aerotwin blades from Ebay for under £20 and they're smooth and whisper quiet again. Bring on the rain :grin:

Changed the pollen filters today and what a pain in the butt just to complete a simple job, it did not help to have a shoulder that's awaiting surgery, and as it turned out the filters were still clean after nearly 21,000 miles but because of the hassle I replaced them.

Finally got the rear bumper off and replaced the bumper support, lower tray and wheel arch cover after the bump a few weeks ago, broke light seal/trim piece in the process so that was also swapped out!

12 minutes ago, NeilV535 said:

Fitted new mirror caps, what do you guys think?

Those look pretty good! I was thinking about doing it myself, any chance you can get picture with the mirrors folded? Mine fold every time I lock the car and I don't really know how that would look.

Thanks!

Mirrors folded 

1 hour ago, Gzmdesign said:

Those look pretty good! I was thinking about doing it myself, any chance you can get picture with the mirrors folded? Mine fold every time I lock the car and I don't really know how that would look.

Thanks!

20190713_170656.jpg

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Out with the trailer yesterday. 

Its amazing what mpg I can achieve.

;)

You must have been pushing the car and that is showing how many miles you got per gallon of beer :-) 

On 7/14/2019 at 10:16 AM, 535i Andrew said:

Out with the trailer yesterday. 

Its amazing what mpg I can achieve.

;)

Jesus!! was that downhill or something?? I've got a heavy foot but on the back roads to work I sometimes struggle to get that on my 520d!! 

8 minutes ago, Gzmdesign said:

Jesus!! was that downhill or something?? I've got a heavy foot but on the back roads to work I sometimes struggle to get that on my 520d!! 

Nope, flat motorway sections with a bit of gradient climbing initially.  Pulling the trailer limits me to 60mph, but mine has tiny wheels so I generally sit at 56 mph with the trucks and watch the mpg rise. ;)

6 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Nope, flat motorway sections with a bit of gradient climbing initially.  Pulling the trailer limits me to 60mph, but mine has tiny wheels so I generally sit at 56 mph with the trucks and watch the mpg rise. ;)

Hahahha that is awesome! Stupid question (pardon me I'm not a UK native) is the 60 mph limit a legal thing? or is it something that the car has enabled when you hitch a trailer? I'm asking because my F11 came with some sort of detachable trailer ball-hitch-connection thingy hahaha also, do you need a special drivers licence to hitch a trailer? (Thinking if getting a track bike and hitch it up rather than hiring a Van). Thanks!! 

Edited by Gzmdesign

2 minutes ago, Gzmdesign said:

Hahahha that is awesome! Stupid question (pardon me I'm not a UK native) is the 60 mph limit a legal thing? or is it something that the car has enabled when you hitch a trailer? I'm asking because my F11 came with some sort of detachable trailer ball-hitch-connection thingy hahaha also, do you need a special drivers licence to hitch a trailer? (Thinking if getting a track bike and hitch it up rather than hiring a Van). Thanks!! 

In the UK when towing on a motorway or dual carriage way when the national speed limit applies (70 mph), cars towing trailers etc. are limited to 60mph by law.  The car isn't physically limited but it knows its towing so alters the traction control settings etc and a few other things to do with parking sensors and fog/reverse lights too I believe.   I have the 3AC swivelling towbar which when it detects the electrical resistance of a trailers lights it changes the settings in the car.  Other manufacturers towbars and wiring do the same when you plug in a trailer or caravan etc.  It therefore cannot distinguish between towing a two tonne caravan or having a towbar mounted bike rack that has lights on it as its all based on the car detecting the electrical resistance of the trailer lights.

If you sat your UK driving test after 01/01/1997 you can only tow a trailer, the mass of which when added to your towing vehicle must not exceed 3,500kg i.e. 3,500kg mass train weight.  To tow above that you need to sit a 'trailer' towing test which then gives you B+E category on your license.  If you sat your driving test before 01/01/1997 (old farts like me) you can tow up to up to whatever the car manufacturer has rated the car at.  Which in my F10 case is 2,000 kg up to a max mass train weight of 4,400 kg.

No such things as a stupid question ask away.

I have had over 40mpg out of mine, once.;)

3 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

In the UK when towing on a motorway or dual carriage way when the national speed limit applies (70 mph), cars towing trailers etc. are limited to 60mph by law.  The car isn't physically limited but it knows its towing so alters the traction control settings etc and a few other things to do with parking sensors and fog/reverse lights too I believe.   I have the 3AC swivelling towbar which when it detects the electrical resistance of a trailers lights it changes the settings in the car.  Other manufacturers towbars and wiring do the same when you plug in a trailer or caravan etc.  It therefore cannot distinguish between towing a two tonne caravan or having a towbar mounted bike rack that has lights on it as its all based on the car detecting the electrical resistance of the trailer lights.

If you sat your UK driving test after 01/01/1997 you can only tow a trailer, the mass of which when added to your towing vehicle must not exceed 3,500kg i.e. 3,500kg mass train weight.  To tow above that you need to sit a 'trailer' towing test which then gives you B+E category on your license.  If you sat your driving test before 01/01/1997 (old farts like me) you can tow up to up to whatever the car manufacturer has rated the car at.  Which in my F10 case is 2,000 kg up to a max mass train weight of 4,400 kg.

No such things as a stupid question ask away.

I have had over 40mpg out of mine, once.;)

Thanks for the explanation, awesome! that means I can probably tow a bike trailer with a bike on it as I assume I would total more than 3.5 Tonnes, a track bike is less that 180 kg so that with the trailer, a few sets of tyres and my car would never really go over that mark. That sounds excellent! 

Hardly an old fart! I think I've actually met you once, I believe my brother bought your winter wheels (17 inch) for his 525D and I drove him up to yours to get them, back when I had my previous F10, you didn't look old to me hahaha :)