F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

4 minutes ago, rasg said:

Somebody gave me a low profile trolley jack but the adapter you have shown makes the jack just too high to use on my F11. It's really annoying and I always end up having to use the crap jack supplied with my spacesaver spare to change my wheels all for the sake of half an inch.

Yes, the car before my previous car was an f10 520msport and I needed the low profile Jack and pad, but I gave it away to the new owner when I bought the Mercedes, I wish I hadn't now as I'm back!

1 hour ago, rasg said:

It's really annoying and I always end up having to use the crap jack supplied with my spacesaver spare to change my wheels all for the sake of half an inch.

Have you tried using something under the wheels to give a little more height and enable your trolley jack to go under the car, like a plank of wood cut into differing lengths and laid down to form a 'ramp'?

I spent a bit of time today cleanng up my wheels.

They didn't look too bad but I knew there was some improvement to be had.

20190223_130647.thumb.jpg.cbc92d7afe7f207b4e7db5e7ae9eaefe.jpg

So Bilt Hamber Autowheel to the rescue. Never used this stuff before but was very impressed with the effectiveness and ease of use.

Just spray on and watch it work.

20190224_112751.thumb.jpg.15e91b9c9d88fe062b8f205e7bb1d048.jpg

After 5 mins and a bit of agitation with a brush I gave the wheel a good rinse off and dried. There were a couple of tar spots to get rid of and then after a wipe down with some panel wipe I put on a coating of Wowos Crystal Sealant.

The wheels are now much improved.

20190224_121743.thumb.jpg.45d04a2ca9574ceda563f5e53534e472.jpg

The sealant is very hydrophobic. Water beads up very nicely and just runs off. 

20190224_134605.thumb.jpg.b50a6ef479fe4fac6f05fe7316b7233e.jpg

They should be much easier to keep clean now :D

22 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Have you tried using something under the wheels to give a little more height and enable your trolley jack to go under the car, like a plank of wood cut into differing lengths and laid down to form a 'ramp'?

It's an interesting idea but then if I have a flat  I have to carry two bits of wood. Excellent idea when I change all four though.

Thanks.

On 20/02/2019 at 19:24, bmwmike said:

Yeah, doesn't make sense does it. The spring was very rusty at the end but the break was clean, so it had just happened.  Cant think how else the spring would be affected, its all or nothing. So on reflection - Dunno. Placebo maybe. Or maybe when bmw did my shocks they did something wrong and I put it right. Or placebo. More testing required!

Absolutely delighted with the ride since replacing the rear spring. No doubt it was playing up for a while before it snapped.  Looking at the break it is rusted on one side, so perhaps had cracked or something before it snapped. 

As I let the wife drive it :o I had to readjust everything back to my position this morning. I miss the full electric with memory seats in my E60......

I've use a couple of alloy wheel cleaners but always come back to the Bilt Hamber stuff.

9 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Absolutely delighted with the ride since replacing the rear spring. No doubt it was playing up for a while before it snapped.  Looking at the break it is rusted on one side, so perhaps had cracked or something before it snapped. 

It's possible, glad it's all sorted and you are happy with it.

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Nothing like an unprovoked full on four wheel drift to wake you up in the morning:shock:

Crikey! What brought that on? Bit icy this morning?

1 hour ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Crikey! What brought that on? Bit icy this morning?

No ice this morning.  I really wasn't going that quick which is why it took me by surprise, but thankfully I got it back under control.  There is a lot of construction work going adjacent on so I think the roundabout in question just had a greasy surface.  Will go canny on the way home.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

No ice this morning.  I really wasn't going that quick which is why it took me by surprise, but thankfully I got it back under control.  There is a lot of construction work going adjacent on so I think the roundabout in question just had a greasy surface.  Will go canny on the way home.

Presumably you mean, now that you're aware that it's a bit greasy you'll attack the corner in a more suitable fashion*.

*2nd gear and a flick.

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

Presumably you mean, now that you're aware that it's a bit greasy you'll attack the corner in a more suitable fashion

Lol... Drifting is a lot more fun when you're expecting it.

16 hours ago, AndyM said:

Presumably you mean, now that you're aware that it's a bit greasy you'll attack the corner in a more suitable fashion*.

*2nd gear and a flick.

Lol going home was o.k 

However this morning at the same roundabout, I went even slower and my car just started to drift on all four again with a slight bit of provocation (flick). This time I did notice what looked like possibly diesel as there was a slight oily sheen on the road surface. 

Weathergirl says its going to pi$$ it down tomorrow so hopefully that should help.

Finally replaced the RFT for khumo ps91 (275 40 18) on the back, was going to get MPSS but as I'm still not sure if I'm changing cars (I'm such a pro procrastinator) or maybe just get 19's thought I'd try the khumo out.  Also got to have a good look underneath as my mate did the MOT.  Looks great underneath all tidy and nothing significant.  Initially couldn't get it through emissions as lambda was 2.6 but the MOT machine was not picking up the right engine for some reason.  

Edited by bmwmike

I had another :shock: moment today.

Taxi came round a blind bend and decided that it was o.k. to cross the double solids to pass a jogger.

I now know the ABS works and my new front pads and discs can stop sharply.  Tyres weren't happy, they let me know their displeasure at having to stop 2 tonnes from 45 mph.  

Phew.  At least its beer o'clock now. :D

Ordered my CarPlay update to go with cic as use Waze daily for my job it’s worth it rather than always viewing on phone screen , thought about android headunit but decided wasn’t worth extra 

7DDA74DC-E1FA-493E-821D-F89042D5952A.jpeg

Refitted the Ctek Panel mount to the offside storage bin

IMG_4344.jpg

and connected it to the battery mounted fuse box with a spare M6 nut and washer.

IMG_4348.jpg

Routed the wiring in the existing ducts and used the existing cable ties beside the battery to tidy it all away.

IMG_4350.jpg

And finally I got round to investigating the wiring in my new towbar socket.  

IMG_4367.jpg

Its very different to the original wiring system so retro fitting the ignition switched live and corresponding earth (Pins 10 and 11) will need a rethink as it needs different connectors for the wiring loom.  The rear of the socket cover un-clips, then the internal part un-clips.  This can then be withdrawn from the rear of the socket.  The rear part is a push fit into the front part which has its own unique pin and socket arrangement. 

Pity as I had the parts for the old style of socket, part number 71606781860 to allow me to retro fit these but I now have the newer socket part number 71606875018.

Back to the drawing board for wiring up the missing pins.