F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

On 7/2/2018 at 9:07 PM, 535i Andrew said:

On 7/2/2018 at 10:23 PM, pidgeonpost said:

Didn't know these were available! I was going to make one to save a spinal injury next time I take my wheels off. Looked up the wheel bolt size on Realoem - M12 x 1.5mm pitch -and I was thinking maybe a 3" bolt or stud  but couldn't find one. Strange I thought. 

Metric Coarse thread pitch was 1.75mm, Metric Fine was 1.25mm, so what's this M12x1.5mm Realoem is quoting then?

Never mind. Got a small screwcutting lathe, so set it up to cut the thread on a bit of 12mm bar. The finish was nothing special but I was getting close to finished size when I realised I didn't have a nut to suit (apart from trying it on the car), lost concentration and broke the tip off the threading tool. Ever wish you hadn't started something...  :lol:

On 7/3/2018 at 9:14 PM, 535i Andrew said:

I had wondered about the knurlings damaging the inside of the bolt holes.

But will there be much paint or powder coating on that surface to get damaged? Think how difficult it would be to get a coating on that part of the alloy.

I like the idea of tape or heat shrink though. The knurlings being required to allow you to turn them with oily fingers but the ones I bought have a slot for a screwdriver.

Whilst it doesn't completely solve the issue with dragging the wheel over the stud, H&R make stud conversion kits for BMW. No more bolts - MUCH easier taking wheels on and off! 

Just did the magic eraser sponge on a very shiny steering wheel, totally not expecting it to work. Looks like new! Gobsmacked. Was actually considering a retrim to get rid of the shine. €200 saved! 

IMG_20180713_161041.jpg

45 minutes ago, GEO147 said:

That looks mint. Have one or two of them Magic Erasers at home .......hmmmm

Any tips?

Not really, small bit of water, not too much, gentle rubbing, dry with microfiber, repeat until happy. Took no time at all.

I also find that baby-wipes are a great cleaning/refurb option, and less aggressive depending on the original state of the leather :)

2 hours ago, bee said:

I also find that baby-wipes are a great cleaning/refurb option, and less aggressive depending on the original state of the leather :)

No furniture salesman will tell you to use baby wipes on a leather sofa. They are horrendous things, they make my skin break out. They don't go anywhere near my leather!

Microfibre and simple hand soap is what you want. For the leather and yer hands!;)

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

No furniture salesman will tell you to use baby wipes on a leather sofa. They are horrendous things, they make my skin break out. They don't go anywhere near my leather!

Microfibre and simple hand soap is what you want. For the leather and yer hands!;)

This is true for proper hide leather but car leather (pleather) is covered in plastic so baby wipes are fine I think?  

My hide leather coach had baby wipes for the first ten years then a month ago we used proper hydrating leather treatment - what a difference lol.

I asked the wife if we still have one of those magic erasers. 

This is generated a confused look on her face as she couldn't understand why I had suddenly taken an interest in cleaning something in the house. ;)

After I corrected her, her advice was that they are abrasive as she had used one on our old wooden floor to remove crayon marks and it had scratched the floor and partially removed the varnish on it.

Perhaps it was a different magic sponge she used.

Broke the gearbox support bracket going from the gearbox mount/bearing to the casing. Strange failure. felt like the exhaust/turbo blew... the shattered aluminium pieces are very light..

Unfortunately part needs to come from Germany, so its at a garage close to work.. hoping its not damaged the driveshaft after being dropped slightly

IMG_20180716_090657.thumb.jpg.62e6d08ca426d16d33e576496b7c8c7f.jpgIMG_20180716_091141.thumb.jpg.775603e5f7557282776ec50cee96bac8.jpg

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

How on earth did that happen @IINexusII?

No idea it just let go while driving out of a junction.

I have been giving it alot of beans recently in sport mode so that could have stressed this part too much. good thing i was 200m from a garage and not stuck on the m25

Edited by IINexusII

What did I do to my F10 today - managed to wack it very hard into my wife's 16 plate Astra reversing out of my garage. Both cars damaged. Bugger.

Mine has a large scrape on the rear bumper, no metal damage thankfully. Wife's car is worse with headlight damage and possible wing damage. 

Ughh - never claimed on insurance before but this might be a time to do so. Not so bothered about mine as it's my fault but gutted for my wife. She took it well in fairness. 

Joint policy too.

Doh.

20180718_104142.jpg

Edited by bmwmike

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Oh no Mike.

Interesting call to the insurance company, "yes hello, I'd like to claim against, well me...."

Haha yeah. Not sure how it works on a multicar policy when both cars are involved.

Will inspect wife's car properly later but unless it's really bad I'll probably not go the insurance route. By the time excess etc plus the ongoing premium hikes etc.

Sorry to hear that Mike.

The PDC sensors saved my ass big time last week, just heard the continuous tone and jammed on as I was 2 inches from reversing into a car.