Jay_w

Turbo Diesels - Do you treat them like Petrol Turbo's with a warm up & cool down

Hi all,

Just wondering if you have to treat a turbo diesel the same way you would a turbo petrol car.

Let it warm up before giving it some and also let it cool down after being out on a run.

Surely doing this should help reduce wear on the turbo etc.

Hi Jay, 

As you and perhaps all those who know my car, I purchased it at just over 3 years old and 150K miles with the Police. I have no idea if in that first 3 years if the Turbo was changed/overhauled. Ever since I purchased it, I've treated as you say like a Petrol Turbo car, so switch on and drive gently till warmer and only give it the full throttle once at normal operating temperature. When switching the car off, then every time I will let the car idle for 10-15 seconds and then switch off. 

The reason is that it gives time for the oil within the turbo to get to a lower pressure before the car is swtiched off - i.e exactly the same as a petrol engine Turbo car. I think by doing this, it's led to the longer time span of me not having a blown turbo as the car has done perhaps 270,000 or so miles. So that would agree with your thinking that it reduces wear. 

The other 'shock horror' aspect, is that I still have the swirl flaps in place! ..      yes, I will get around to changing them to the blank plates!

Cheers, Dennis!

yes!

I always let mine warm up and cool down, used to have to do it on the nissan as if i pulled over half way through a blast it would be glowing red! maybe it doesnt need it on a diesel i dont know but no harm in doing it either :)

Diesel manifold temps are much lower than petrol ones so it isn't as critical. Modern technology with seal etc make it less critical as well but it's still good practice.

Hi,

^^^^^^^ what he said :)

Cheers,

Gavin :)

You can also feel the difference on the 530d ( whether it's an electronic or thermodynamic cause) when not up to temp - my assumption would be hot exhaust gas cooling rapidly out in the cold turbo/oil supply and resulting in reduced pressure.

Edited by SuperDave

The reason for letting them idle is to bring the turbo back to tick over and let the oil cool the core. Turbos can tick over at 80k so if you just switched it off and cut the oil supply then the core won't last as long.

The other 'shock horror' aspect, is that I still have the swirl flaps in place! ..      yes, I will get around to changing them to the blank plates!

lets set a countdown timer for that too shall we? :lol:!

You don't want to be giving it full beans from cold not just for the Turbos sake..

With turbos as long as you've been driving normally for around 30 seconds after a flat out blast then I'd just turn straight off.

When you're giving it full throttle, more so if mapped the turbo will be glowing red hot.. If you shut it off whilst it's like that then the oil that's still in the turbo that's no longer getting pumped through gets burnt, which gradually breaks down the oil.

The glowing stops within seconds of coming off the throttle so really you could be going flat out down your street, but by time you've pulled into the drive etc you'll be fine.