GONKO

530d - Possible gearbox issues?

Hi all

I picked up this E60 530d Auto about 2 months ago. There had been a few small issues with it. This one however has been here all along and initial searches are leading to no where online. I feel that it may be tourque converter related. I would like to get this nailed asap as the car is under warranty from the place I got it.

Small video below of the RPM fluctuations under small throttle movements. MPG is currently around 28ish.

When first starting the car in the morning the car feels a little uneasy, particularly in reverse. When warmed up etc its ok....apart from the rpm moving around. Also, on the motorway earlier, I could feel a little jumpiness....nothing too much, but alarm bells went off in my head in case it was the tourque converter clutch slipping or disengaging......this was at a steady 110kmh.

https://youtu.be/AMKbu2fZIW4

How many miles and age?

It could be the gearbox oil needs a change or the converter is playing up. It may also be related to MAF, EGR etc. have you checked to see if there are any error codes on the vehicle?

Horsey

There's 75k on the clock and it is a 2006 model with full Indy history. I'm not aware eof any codes yet. Tho I'll look into getting them read.

If there is fluctuation in RPM but no fluctuation in the speed you are travelling at it will most likely be the torque converter. 

A fluid change might improve things in general, but won't solve the TC issue. I've seen torque converter rebuilds/reconditioning prices of upto £1k. Which ofcourse will include new fluid/sump. 

Pop user YNP a PM. He works with gearboxes. He could probably confirm just by looking at video. I think tej is right though and it is possibly TC. Ensure if you do have work done you get the gearbox software updated, this makes a huge difference; or at least it did for me.

Horsey 

Thank you all for the replies. It is pretty much confirming my thoughts. The speedo can move a small bit too, but it is not erratic like the rpm needle. The fuel consumption is also low which leads me to believe that the converter may indeed be the problem.

If I hold steady throttle the rpm and speedo fluctuate a few mm. When I go on and off the throttle lightly to apply a little power or take some power off, that is when the issue raises its head, as seen in the video.

As it is my first auto car, I was unsure if it is normal for the LUC to step in and out based on throttle inputs...?

Re fuel consumption you may find the stats are shot. Access the hidden menu function and check temperatures. 60mph for 20 minutes or so.

Horsey

I'm getting the same fluctuations, especially when trying to hold a steady speed even on cruise control.

noticed a small oil stain on the drive this morning.

any recommendations for an oil change sump cover replacement in the Bristol area?

I'm getting the same fluctuations, especially when trying to hold a steady speed even on cruise control.

noticed a small oil stain on the drive this morning.

any recommendations for an oil change sump cover replacement in the Bristol area?

I ordered some of my parts from these guys http://www.bristoltransmissions.co.uk/shop/product.php?id_product=78

Might be worth a look.

Costs here:

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/110786-idle-funny/?fromsearch=1

Horsey