After rather a long time without much to report, I took the opportunity of lockdown to have some minor cosmetic repairs.  

A previous owner had fitted a stainless steel exhaust which was one of the first things I removed when I bought the car, replacing it with the OEM system.  However, in order to fit the exhaust, they had to enlarge the cut out in the rear bumper.  Although largely unnoticed by anyone else, this had always irritated me, so I decided it was time to do something about it.

This is the enlarged cut out

IMG_1511a.thumb.jpg.fff0f32ce3f9ec004aa94f5290bb9661.jpg

You can see where the profiled of the edge of the hole changes where it had been cut.  The remaining piece on the right of the hole was very thin and had started to crack.

I used a local body shop, Chris Gregory, that I have used before on my E39 M5 and who do a lot of work with TVRs so know a thing or two about GRP.  The repaired hole now looks as it should, and as it did when it left Ital Design in 1980.

IMG_3335a.thumb.jpg.7c29015d75b41f7a2ba64a938832f595.jpg

Pretty much since I bought the car I've wanted to be able take a picture like this.

IMG_3951a.thumb.jpg.92d389ee1f917edaca0d88a99724606d.jpg

Not particularly note worthy in itself, and shows the dire state of the tarmac on our drive.  But it does show three things that have changed since I got the car.

1) As in a previous post the exhaust cut out is now correct.

2) As a side effect of fixing the exhaust cut out, the demarcation line between the white bumper and black central strip on the back of the car is now much straighter (maybe not 100% perfect, but not far off).  There is a small grove running around the black strip and it's depth was not uniform in the area above the exhaust cut out.  This meant that the line could not be straight.  Here is a picture of how it used to be :

566619167_CT-1a.thumb.jpg.24e44dea8edac4eeed2e53722c53b45a.jpg

3) Finally, Pirelli have started re-making the original Cinturato P7 N4 tread pattern tyres that the M1 came with when new, somehow the rhomboid blocks of the tread pattern just look right on the car and keeps it in character as a car from the 1980's.

IMG_3950b.thumb.jpg.61c0bdace85ca821e98414c6a45dda84.jpg