donnylad

thermostat? running temps

Hi guys

So I have just done the thermostat test on here due tome normally getting 26-27 mpg ( although this is quite fast driving and revving through the rev range so I am very happy with this)

after 14 miles of 62 mph my temps were at 68-69 degrees. On the way home i went a little quicker and at average 85 the temps were 72-73. Even at 120 mph they didnt go over 76.

I am guessing this means my stats are knackered and jammed open?

What effect will this be having on my car? is it just MPG or is it something that needs sorting asap? I have the money but was going to treat myself to some new angel eyes instead haha.

if I change them what sort of mpg will I gain? I do 8k per year roughly so will it be worth it?

Oh off of the journey computer

average speed 62mph average mpg 47.3

average speed 84 mph average mpg 32.6

any thoughts? thanks

All this testing done on my personal test track of course  :cool:

It will effect the running of car as it never hits 'optimal' temperature. MPG will be down. Do you have a DPF? That would be the biggest worry... As it won't regen.

Horsey

Get your stats done before your angel eyes , I had similar temps that your getting, then changed both , the car felt better imo ,better mpg and their is something strangely satisfying watching the temp hit the 90s .. lol

ok, thank you

would you reccomend getting bmw to do the job or buying the parts from bmw and getting done elsewhere?

will I still need an EGR thermostat with egr removed?

The egr stat you could do easily, I think its only 2 bolts and a clip and its easy to get at . The main stat I got an indi to do , it's not a big job but its awkward to get at . Do the egr yourself then check your temps , if it's the same then get the other one done , look on you tube their are plenty of clips to look at .

Not sure you will need the egr stat though .. someone else might help ? .. I did my stats ... then some time later had the same work done as you ..ie dpf , egr delete etc etc

yes you will need the egr stat even with egr removed. Buy bmw parts, go elsewhere. Egr stat is 30 min job anyone can easily do. MPG will increase a lot.

as a side note I'm not sure you tested it properly... might be worth seeing if it gets up to temp at 150mph.

:lol:

just been onto the local bmw, will pick the EGR stat up tomorrow morning at £36.25

if this doesnt cure it the other one is £ 54.47 + labour but they were not sure how much labour would be. not bad prices so far though for my first BMW!

just been onto the local bmw, will pick the EGR stat up tomorrow morning at £36.25

if this doesnt cure it the other one is £ 54.47 + labour but they were not sure how much labour would be. not bad prices so far though for my first BMW!

Next time buy from our sponsor, BMW Cotswold and save 20%!

Edited by jake13

If you need the main stat doing, and you do it yourself - You will NOT be saying its easier than pumping the tyres ... Its a right BITCH to get at!

If you need the main stat doing, and you do it yourself - You will NOT be saying its easier than pumping the tyres ... Its a right BITCH to get at!

Agreed, it is

well I am just looking at booking out a place called bruntingthorpe, 2 mile straight strip, limiter removed. hoping for 170! :)

Good luck, that won't hit a genuine 170 easily my previous car was at the time it went to brunters the fastest mk1 RS focus in the country (2005) and hit a GPS tracked 166mph.

Have fun.

Tapatalking.....

yeh i know it wont be easy, but i had 162 on the gps on my 200sx S14a, that was only 300 hp but lighter then the 5er i guess.

The focus was at circa 350bhp at that time, a lot of weight difference in the 5 series. Which 5 series do you have?

Tapatalking.....

only the 530d

its has a dpf removal and stage 2 remap to 300 bhp and 700 nm. Limiter removed. Not sure how far it will go or wether the 2 miles is long enough, or what the gearbox will limit me to.

had to put it off a few weeks though with the wifes MOT costing me a few! oh and a newborn  :razz:

My 535d 'apparently' can hit 176mph ;) .... Or so I have been 'told'.

That's nothing, my 530d can hit 200mph!!! It even still has a DPF and is running a standard map!

When it's being towed by a Bugatti Veyron :D

Horsey