e39boy

Windscreen replacement- insurance will not pay for OE glass

Hi guys,

My windscreen in my e39 530D Sport needs replacing.

I have contacted my insurance company (swift cover), and they have said that their approved supplier is Autoglass and they will only pay for a non-oe windscreen.

I have insisted that i would like a OE windscreen with the BMW logo, but they are not playing ball.

Just wanted to know of your experiences and thoughts on this?

The E39 windscreen needs to be fitted correctly with spacers otherwise you will get wind noise. Have a Google. Does your car have sun protection glass ?

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/60586-windscreen-replacement-by-glasstec-review/

Edited by M5 Russ

Will be keeping my eye on this thread as i'm thinking about getting my screen replaced due to stone chipping etc.

Hi Guys,

The following is the e-mail i received from my insurance company;

I apologies that you are unhappy that our recommended glass company would only supply your with "like for like" glass for your replacement windscreen. Unfortunately, Swiftcover are unable to authorise dealership glass as the Swiftcover policy document states;

"We may choose to repair your car with parts that may not have been made by the car's manufacturer but are of a similar standard."

Our recommended glass repairers follow the British Standard Guidelines when carrying out any replacement, and the "like for like" glass is of the high European Standard. The only difference with like for like glass is that it does not have the BMW logo stamp on the glass, this is not allowed as BMW are the only manufactures to this copyright.

The Autoglass website states that;

For windscreen replacement, we only use glass manufactured to OEM standards, whether sourced from original equipment manufacturers or other suppliers, ensuring that the glass we fit is as good as the original piece of glass we are replacing. We believe that the best replacement glass comes from the companies who supply the original glass to the world’s leading car manufacturers. Our workmanship is guaranteed for however long you own your vehicle.

If BMW advise that the BMW warranty would become invalid if Autoglass were to fit a non dealership glass, please can you send me a copy of an official BMW document to verify that by Autoglass fitting a non dealership screen the whole of your vehicles warranty would be invalid. Once received we can review further

Should you wish to have dealership glass fitted to your vehicle, Autoglass can arrange a cost for the difference between the Swiftcover offered glass and the dealership glass. The additional cost will have to be covered by yourself. I have requested the difference and will email yourself once received.

The like for like glass is still available to yourself as per the terms of your policy. 

Any ideas on what I reply to them to back up my my stance that I would only like OE glass fitted?

Just received an e-mail back regarding extra cost:

Following on from my previous email.

The specifications of the like for like glass as provided by Autoglass are:

Product: 2434AGNMV6T - BMW 5-SERIES 4S/5B 2001-2003 WINDSCREEN-GREEN+VIN+MOISTURE SENSOR (PEARDROP PRINT+8 EYES)

The additional cost to be added to claim for the OE product is: £238.43 + vat (excludes £75.00 excess). The like for like glass is still available to yourself as per the terms of your policy.

If you have any further queries in the meantime then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Why are you so insistent that it be OEM BME glass and not the euro-spec equivalent that will meet ALL NECESSARY standards?

Do you have BMW warranty that if this glass is replaced with non-OEM BMW glass your warranty will be voided?

Why are you so insistent that it be OEM BME glass and not the euro-spec equivalent that will meet ALL NECESSARY standards?

Do you have BMW warranty that if this glass is replaced with non-OEM BMW glass your warranty will be voided?

The new windscreen will not have the BMW logo. As currently all my glass is original and OEM spec, I expect my windscreen to be replaced by OEM spec glass.

Sorry to sound blunt, but maybe your expectations are too high...?!

It looks like SC won't cover the extra costs and they'll have to come out of your pocket unfortunately... Sods law I know :(

Maybe they are a little high, but if you don't ask you don't get :)

They way I see it is the same as if your vehicle was damaged and was going to be repaired through insurance. I would expect it to be replaced by genuine OE parts, and repaired back to it's 'original' standard.

Ask bmw for a price and then get auto windscreens to fit

Or just accept the like for like as most people would.

Do you still have the OEM tyres, brakes, filters etc?

As for repairing a vehicle back to original with OEM Parts you would have to check your insurance policy as most are like for like replacement parts - even reconditioned

JJ

Edited by problemchild

Maybe they are a little high, but if you don't ask you don't get :)

They way I see it is the same as if your vehicle was damaged and was going to be repaired through insurance. I would expect it to be replaced by genuine OE parts, and repaired back to it's 'original' standard.

That would be unlikely!

Yes the car will be fixed but the costs would be seriously OTT if they used genuine BMW parts for everything!

As 'problemchild' has said, do you use OEM BMW oil, filters, tyres, brake discs/pads for when you service your car etc...

If you do then fair enough but you'll be paying OEM premium prices where it's not necessary

Looks like you'll have to stump up the extra then to go for BMW marked glass...

If it comes to the crunch, then yes I will pay.

However I just wanted to know whether people have had any experience of requesting OEM glass from their insurance company (included in the standard £75 excess).

I have read on a couple of other forums that some insurance companies are happy to replace with OEM glass if requested by the customer. 

Edited by e39boy

Is it honestly worth an extra £280 for a tiny BMW logo in the corner of the screen?

The screen they supply will almost certainly come from the same factory (Pilkington, Saint Gobain etc.), off the same moulds as the one BMW fit. They just rub off the BMW logo and put it on a different lorry.

I get where you're coming from about the originality thing, and fair enough if the car was still under warranty or you'd want to trade it back to the dealer at some point, but its a 12+ year old car that's long out of warranty. You can buy a lot of beer with £280.. ;-)

Edited by lufbramatt

Is it honestly worth an extra £280 for a tiny BMW logo in the corner of the screen?

The screen they supply will almost certainly come from the same factory (Pilkington, Saint Gobain etc.), off the same moulds as the one BMW fit. They just rub off the BMW logo and put it on a different lorry.

I get where you're coming from about the originality thing, and fair enough if the car was still under warranty or you'd want to trade it back to the dealer at some point, but its a 12+ year old car that's long out of warranty. You can buy a lot of beer with £280.. ;-)

Haha, That would be an awful lot of beer!  :razz:

Doesn't the glass carry the vin number? Or some other vehicle mark meaning that even if you replace the glass it'll still be different and not original, I'd do sympathise, and I'd like an oem windscreen when the time comes, but considering they won't fit one without forking out near enough £360 including excess to have a genuine screen then I'd just suffer the lack of bmw logo, usually the screens come from the same manufacturer anyway, so all that's different is the logo.

Plus I feel in today's times a windscreen replacement is quite normal, mine is pebbledashed to buggery and honestly needs replacing, if it's fitted right then it doesn't matter about the rondel, if a car was for sale with an aftermarket screen fitted correctly and a genuine screen fitted badly what would you choose?

Where you want BMW replacements you'd need to go for BMW insurance and stump up the extra premium vs more budget conscious insurance... it's the only insurance that will use BMW techs with genuine BMW parts.

I'm about to put a screen in my E12. I bought a used screen off tims on here as I wanted an original OEM screen. Perhaps you could enquire about and good used. I paid £60 for mine ;)

My vehicle has always been serviced at BMW and always has OEM parts for service.

Well, off you go then. The service receptionist awaits, card machine at the ready. Enjoy the logo!

Edit: I had a new screen put in both my E32 and an E36 Coupe. Both were fitted by Autoglass who did a great job and used BMW seals etc.  Both have zero distortion, unlike the screen I saw in a new X4 the other day.

Edited by Sir Anthony Regents-Park

Replaced my M5 screen with an original BMW one at my own expense. Was not even that expensive.

I had mine replaced with a genuine one a few weeks ago, I'm insured with Classic Line and it was to be fitted by National Windscreens. I spoke to the fitters who said it would be an aftermarket screen so called classic line to say I wanted genuine, oh, ok they said we'll let the fitters know. So a genuine one was sourced and fitted by them.