Cribert

Do BMW want to sell parts?

Always phone them for a rough price when I need something. They are NEVER the best place to buy the part.

Then I'll say I can get it cheaper everywhere else and a considerable amount cheaper too. Sometimes 50% less.

I ask can you discount the item at all.

The answer?

No

Do they just not care about selling stuff? Obviously you get some folk paying through the nose but they just don't seem to care at all and want the phone conversation to end as soon as possible. Oh and another thing. They don't have a clue. All I asked for was a few very basic items and I had to describe exactly where they were and what they do!! Incredible

Can't say I have a problem at woods in Bournemouth generally. There was a debarcle with some lower arms once but that is it. Are you comparing genuine for genuine or genuine for patern?

Edited by Joss

I try to avoid main dealers as the cost of BMW parts is increasingly insane. Small bits of trim, clips etc but I use ECP for most stuff and use known brands (Ate, Lemforder, Bosch etc).

E46 320d Garrett turbo from BMW - £1250 exchange.

New Garrett turbo from Turbo Technics - £650.

On E30 Zone there is a thread about BMW parts prices. The latest is E30 plastic front indicator lenses - £47 plus VAT.  :cry:

I just paid £32 for 4 vanos o rings from BMW. And that was Cotswolds with a discount!

They're about 15mm diameter and about 2mm thick. Absolutely ridiculous, but because they are flat on the inside so are really a "D" ring I had to get them from the dealers.

I was on the phone to Williams BMW yesterday. I could get right through to service department 'nucha problimo', i needed a price for rattley clutch, said they would have to call me back, they didn't ring me back ever, I spoke a few times they were waiting for the quotes machine to log on, you think they would give a rough idea ive been told its a common job?!?!

I rang parts 3-4 times to see what the parts would cost to get an independent to do it, and was on hold for ages so long reception picked it back up, reception said they will call me back and guess what.  Its now tomorrow and they still haven't called me.  I like my car but not the service im getting from the main dealers.

I'm swimming against the tide here but I think BMW are fantastic parts wise. Try restoring a 1970's vauxhall/Ford etc and see how many parts are available. When I restored my 74' 2002 there wasn't a single part I couldn't pick up the phone to my local dealer and have within a week. Might not of been cheap but the support is there.

Can't say I have a problem at woods in Bournemouth generally. There was a debarcle with some lower arms once but that is it. Are you comparing genuine for genuine or genuine for patern?

I have not really had a problem with Woods either.

have always found my local parts guy to be really helpfull will reply within the hour with a full cost breakdown on the list of part no.s i email him and always a minimum 10-15% discount some parts are suprisingly cheap with a 48hr turnaround from germany and some parts are just ridicolously priced but thats life

Having siad that i know him years now and have gave them a lot of business but in the general the parts guys are a lot easier to deal with then the stuck up sales people who walk the floor

Edited by gar525i

I'm swimming against the tide here but I think BMW are fantastic parts wise. Try restoring a 1970's vauxhall/Ford etc and see how many parts are available. When I restored my 74' 2002 there wasn't a single part I couldn't pick up the phone to my local dealer and have within a week. Might not of been cheap but the support is there.

True, but £300 for a plastic pre airbag four spoke E36 steering wheel?

Seriously?

They may as well throw them all in the skip or sell them for a tenner each to a dealer. New or old, the prices for some very humdrum parts is insanity.

Genuine for genuine. In Glasgow they just don't seem to want to help! I don't know what the problem is really.

Which one are you talking about?

My first port of call is the dealer ( Cotswolds our sponsor ),  I have always received great service from them and for some parts they were the lowest price.  Of course some prices were cheaper elsewhere.  But not all I also have always found the staff there helpful and found what I needed with silly descriptions.

Cotswolds have always been good for me, hefty discount every time, even worked out cheaper than ecp for a clutch slave,it's all well and good buying cheaper shit from motorfactors but in reality it's false economy as its just cheap shit, doesn't last half as long. Least when you go through dealer you know it's a quality product backed up by decent warranty and there's no fitment issues.

Sometimes though the dealer warranty isn't worth a shiny shite.

You have to have the part diagnosed by the dealer and then they'll do something about it.

For example, there have been a few people with M5's who bought a thermostat from the dealers only to have it fail within the warranty period.

These people couldn't simply remove the stat and have it swapped out, they had to go and pay the dealers to diagnose it and then they'd replace it. Further to that if it wasn't fitted at a garage then they still get all shirty about it. On the other hand you can just go to ECP and pay less than half for an identical Wahler or Behr unit and be done with it

Very true, I remember 2.8 Capri front suspensions mounting becoming n/a from Ford during 1997 The front wings had already gone by then ... The last Capri built was around the 20th December 1986 ... not really that old  :razz:

Fords parts group were crap for old Fords at that time ...

This always managed to get everything I've needed for my e28 & m3. Vauxhall didn't do bushes for a 12yr old Astra.

I've had good service and super prices for genuine parts from bmminiparts.com - just watch the postage costs. They make more sense when you order a few things at once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very true, I remember 2.8 Capri front suspensions mounting becoming n/a from Ford during 1997 The front wings had already gone by then ... The last Capri built was around the 20th December 1986 ... not really that old :razz:

Fords parts group were crap for old Fords at that time ...

F**k me you boys don't know how lucky you are. Try owning something Italian. Parts stop being made before it's finished rolling off the production line. 5 years and that's about it for quite a lot of parts for my Alfa. :lol: my local dealer asked me what a GTA was once !!! Edited by Joss

I have had issues with getting decent prices from Coopers in Norwich, but Cotswold (forum supplier) have been excellent, and are normally fairly competitive.

Horsey