jonnyrad

Newbie needs advice!

Hello to everyone!

I'm new around here but not to new to BMW.

I'm looking for some advice on my 525d auto,

I seemed to have developed a bit of a problem when sitting in traffic, if I sit for a length of time for say, over a minute, it's like the car has disengaged drive and when we are ready to move off its bringing drive back in but it comes in with such a thump sometimes it's awful! I don't have any other gearbox issues, with changes or juddering etc I have read various threads on here saying gearbox services have sorted various issues they were having, just wondered what everyone's thoughts were?

Thanks in advance!

J.

To add.. Low oil means a leak!

Pretty common, either from the mechatronics sleeve or the actual sump as it's plastic and they warp.

Buy an oil and filter kit and do a 'service' should cure all your problems in one.

Edited by philmots

Unanimously sounds like a lack of oil. Which in turn would tie with something I found on a previous MOT which was an advisory for a leak. Bloody car dealers! Some of them are bent as two bob bits! Doubt that'll be covered under warranty either.

Oh I'm with you on that one, gearbox is definitely an essential. But would they try and pass that off as a wear and tear issue is what I'm saying. Chap that I got it off, put a 3 month warranty wise warranty on it, dpf warning started appearing, to find out emmisons cover had not been included!

What year is your car? My 520 d switches itself into park after restarting itself in traffic. That's with the auto stop start mode engaged. Only does this when it restarts itself- not if you take a foot off the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I HAD that exact same problem. but my gearbox oil was'nt low..    Problem fixed now anyway

Nice of you to share the answer with the rest of the community lol :lol:

combination of bad old gearbox oil along with old gearbox software

Gearbox flush, New oil new filter along with sleeve and gearbox ecu software update... Fixed Good few problems as you can see from my thread

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/109589-e60-535d-gearbox-service/       

Edited by MANDER

Update;

Sooooo had a gearbox service done and that hasn't seemed to shift the problem. The chap from the gearbox place suggested it could be a mechatronics issue. Anyone any experience of this? And do we think this might tie in with a strange loss of power on any kind of incline or decline...

In my experience anything with tronics on the end of it sounds expensive!

Ta

J

Update;

Sooooo had a gearbox service done and that hasn't seemed to shift the problem. The chap from the gearbox place suggested it could be a mechatronics issue. Anyone any experience of this? And do we think this might tie in with a strange loss of power on any kind of incline or decline...

Ta

J

Did they update the gearbox software? Do not underestimate how much of a difference this will make! Trust me, I just had it done and still cannot believe it. My car was thumping gears - now it's good...

Mechatronics is pricey. Refurb units for around £1K if I remember right.

Horsey

Update;

Ta

J

If they have serviced it, did they try doing an adaptations reset in DIS?

If not, try it and go from there.