Steve van hool

Best and worst looking BMW's

Any views on the best and worst looking BMW's and why, past or present.

For me the best looking was the E34 series I remeber them comming out when new in 1988, why, the car just looked so right from the word go. I remember a pilots saying  ''if it looks right then it is right'' The mid life upgrade with a new bonnet and grill was a step backwards, much later on I went on to have two E34 535's.

The worst looking for me will be the current 5 series GT,and why ,well it just looks so Chav.

I dont think they made truly horrible cars but if id to pick a few ugly ducklings id go with the Z1, X3, X6 ,prefacelift e65 and e46 compact

Favourites would be too many to list but id probably go with e24 and e46 csl really like the e31 is well

Currently I'd say the 6 series gc. Off all time is harder e30 m3 is handsome in a functional way. Worst something like the 5gt.

Facelift E34 when new was a stunning looking car and at 16 years of age I always wanted one from that moment.

E30 325i Sport, preferably M Tech 1, E39 in Sport guise with M Paras, E38 Sport..

Ugly stuff includes E36 Compact, E60 pre facelift, 3 Series GT and pre facelift E65

Worst for me is the X6, it's vomit inducing. Best is the 507 and then 02, the 507 is a delicate beautiful shape.

X6 is horrible......And the I3 is gopping.....

I like the shape of the Z4M coupe i have,and the new 6 series coupe..

507 is exquisite...

I love E34 B10 Alpina's..

E24 Highline

Apart from the new 6 the rest of BMW doesnt hold that much appeal anymore..

Not aware of the multitude of new ugliness BMW now produce, some are pure ugly ducks to say the least and most polite.

however,  best looking for me is the 1992 E34 narrow grille prefacelift M5, that avus blue one with five speed box and caused so much grief at the time - for the money a staggering  handsome car.

second best, E39 5 series, the Alpina does it for me every time and the 540 Touring shape is just as elegant as any of the low roof estates now fashionable.

bit biased but faithfull to the good looking and elegant old stuff, the new ones leave me cold and shall not come to my place.

I think from 1981- 02 was the golden era for BMW ... I always recall as a young man :???: The local drug baron pulling onto the pub car park during 1988 with his Gold E34 535i and his lady friend getting out of the passenger side ... and thinking wow  ..

The purring engine ... and his lady friend was not bad either  :cool:

Worst looking 2 Active tourer and X6

Best of the current range is the 4 Gran Coupe and M235i coupe

Of the past 507, 3.0csi, E38 750i Sport (SWB)

The best for me is the pre facelift E34 such classical  lines coupled with comfort and power. Had me from the start

Worst is the X6

IMHO a chrome bumper E24 is the best of 'modern' BMW's with a 507 as the best older BMW.

I've never loved the looks of the slab-sided E60 or E61, and the car is made worse by the the worst HVAC ever witnessed on a BMW of any age - the new 2 Series takes the biscuit for designers giving in and following convention though :(