Eastham

E34 1989 535i Problem

Hi Ive bought my bosses E34 with 35k on the clock and it seems the clocks/speedo cluster are causing the warning buzzer to sound all the time. Causing the battery to slowly drain.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Its the larger plug on the left hand side as you are sat in the car. if taken out and spun around it will be on the right that seems to be the culprit.

Ive tried some later 535i clocks with the different bulbs as he had a spare set. This set didnt buzz unless the car told it too.

But these wont work as its for the facelift.

Any help is appreicated

Mark

No its not that one. This isnt the m535i just the 535i. And at £500 i couldn't pass it up. I will change my profile picture to the car it is

No its not that one. This isnt the m535i just the 535i. And at £500 i couldn't pass it up. I will change my profile picture to the car it is

Fooking bargain of the century!!! You are no doubt going to have a lot of jealous comments that follow that post.......

He bought it in 1991 and reshelled it as it was a write off. Looked like a piano had been dropped on it on the back. Only took him ten years to build it.... It still drives like new. Think im just going to have to buy a set of clocks and see if that cures it. Im one of these people who has to have everything the way it should be even down to clips.

Hi Ive bought my bosses E34 with 35k on the clock and it seems the clocks/speedo cluster are causing the warning buzzer to sound all the time. Causing the battery to slowly drain.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Its the larger plug on the left hand side as you are sat in the car. if taken out and spun around it will be on the right that seems to be the culprit.

Ive tried some later 535i clocks with the different bulbs as he had a spare set. This set didnt buzz unless the car told it too.

But these wont work as its for the facelift.

Any help is appreicated

Mark

Hmmm, I can't find any reference in either the handbook index or the wiring diagrams for a buzzer.  So, question, have you tried unplugging the buzzer to see if the drain stops?

Second, are there any warnings coming up on the dash?  If the buzzer is continually going off, then there must be a problem that's triggering the buzzer, so I assume that's either a faulty control circuit or something else that's faulty that's triggering the buzzer to sound.

He had 4 sets of clocks which i tried. It stopped buzzing but they are the wrong clocks for the 3.5. I think i will have to try and find some correct ones and see if that works. Im going to guess that it is draining via the buzzer as it is sounding all the time which will be taking it from the battery.

Maybe there is a fault on the circuit board which i cant see.

Thank you for your input and for looking into it for me.

Edited by Eastham

He had 4 sets of clocks which i tried. It stopped buzzing but they are the wrong clocks for the 3.5. I think i will have to try and find some correct ones and see if that works. Im going to guess that it is draining via the buzzer as it is sounding all the time which will be taking it from the battery.

Maybe there is a fault on the circuit board which i cant see.

Thank you for your input and for looking into it for me.

Got a set of 535 clocks here

How strange, the only buzzing I've come accross is from the small fan by the cabin fan speed controller.

Depends what colour the back of the cluster is. Very early cars were grey, later ones were white and then pale blue. They all interchange and work okay but only the later white and blue back clusters have removable mileage coding chips - and they don't interchange between white and blue back units.

I have a 1989 (April) E32 with the same cluster. The first one went scatty about 8 years ago so I replaced it with a blue back unit that works - but occasionally the needles will all stop before springing back to life again. I have three spare units and they all have minor issues - one has bad pixels, another works fine but occasionally it will bring on every pixel available. If BMW weren't on drugs regarding old car parts prices I'd buy a brand new one. 

At OVER £1200 though, they can FRO.

Its a grey one i have. Mileage bar comes out no problem

Edited by Eastham

Well the problem is fixed with help of Tim Pollock. So ive a set of fully working BLUE back clocks FOR SALE off a 1989 535i sport who someone sent me......

So i can start puting the dash trim back together, change and paint some bits underneath that need doing and give it a good clean and a fresh MOT!

Got a Sport rear bumper and some hella rear lights sorted too!

Thanks for all your help on this everyone!

Edited by Eastham

So. Bit of an update, only been over two years... Car was laid up since fixing above clock issue. Got the car inside last year on a ramp to which it stayed on for another year until the turbo kit arrived from TCD.... So i have been busy after work hours mocking up intercooler position and making the wires longer for the manifold flip etc. Also fitted front alpina lip spoiler

20170530_184504.jpg

20170516_193434.jpg

20170610_085048.jpg

Hi guys!! At long last i think i'm nearly ready to fire up my 535i turbo. However it was an automatic and is now a manual so i need to sort/bridge the wires for the inertia switch where the gearstick is. The car has no automatic ecu or loom fitted if that makes any difference. 
Can someone help me with a wiring diagram if at all possible as now it won't crank via the key.
I also forgot to take a picture of the plugs and wires before i left work on saturday.