So there seems to be a few bad rust spots coming through on my 2001 e39. Well it's 14 years old. I use it as a daily drive and unfortunately it lives outside....

Is there any preventative steps I should take or when it gets bad put it into a pucker body shop

Any advice appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the rust is coming through the sills or rear arches ... I would get the rust sorted ASP :razz: Once rust gets the hold in box areas it spreads like wild fire  :???:  

It's under the boot lid, just above bumper. Not actually part of the boot. It's still fully covered in paint, but bubbles are starting

It's under the boot lid, just above bumper. Not actually part of the boot. It's still fully covered in paint, but bubbles are starting

I would get the area done ... This area can get bad ( like on the e34) It might need some steel repair work.

I would hazard a guess that it is appearing as two spots about 30-40 cm apart? Get it sorted, the longer you leave it the more it will cost.

I would hazard a guess that it is appearing as two spots about 30-40 cm apart? Get it sorted, the longer you leave it the more it will cost.

Exactly right...

What's the best method to get it sorted right?? DIY?? Body shop?? Good one in Scotland??

Exactly right...

What's the best method to get it sorted right?? DIY?? Body shop?? Good one in Scotland??

Depends on a lot of things, how confident/competent you are with bodywork, how bad it actually is etc. and how deep are your pockets.

For myself I'd give it a go, remove the rear bumper and sand back the affected area until you have clean metal round the bubbling. Scour out any flakes or loose rust and treat with a good proprietary rust killer, I use Rustbuster fe-123 http://www.rust.co.uk/fe-123-rust-converter/c28125?gclid=CJzcsP2q5sQCFcHLtAodMRIAAw#. Fill any uneven bits and prime then topcoat with the correct coded paint. Remember you will need a warm, dry area to do this, or a spell of really good weather or the paint will turn milky from absorbing moisture form the air.

What I did with mine was paint out to the edges where the boot shuts and feather into the existing paintwork, then a couple of coats of laquer and you should find it almost impossible to distinguish from the original.

If you're uncomfortable with that then check out your local indy body shops. Whereabouts in Scotland are you?

Edited by pauliexjr

My dad is pretty sh*t hot at this stuff and given your description I would give it a bash. I'm reasonably handy. Problems like you say is I only have outside space.

I am also considering pretty serious upgrades / work on the car but not for a couple years.

To that end I spose as long as I get the rust away and properly paint and protect the invisible finish isn't sooooo important just now.

Located in glasgow

They all do that. There's 2 rubber bungs in the panel there for absolutely no reason I can think of.

I'll be taking the bumper off and doing it properly when it warns up a bit.

Fortunately I have space inside to do it at work.

I'm tempted to cut it all out and weld new metal in, doing away with the holes / bungs. It'll only do it again.

They all do that. There's 2 rubber bungs in the panel there for absolutely no reason I can think of.

I'll be taking the bumper off and doing it properly when it warns up a bit.

Fortunately I have space inside to do it at work.

I'm tempted to cut it all out and weld new metal in, doing away with the holes / bungs. It'll only do it again.

Indeed, my e39 had a nasty bubble here when I bought it 2 1/2 years ago, I sorted it out straight away then but its now started bubbling again.

As Mike77 says, it's the usual place for rust on an E39. If you can live with it until the weather warms up I'd hold off for a couple of months. Otherwise any half decent body shop could sort if for you.

Bumper MUST come off for it to be done properly.

It all starts deep in the gap.

Don't remove the bumper and it'll be back in a few months.

I'll get the biker off and get it sorted issue is there are 5 or 6 other spots. Is it worth getting these fixed locally so I can keep the rust at bay