steve1986

E31 840i gearbox in E34 540I

Hi Guys i need a new box for my e32 740i and as its the same as an e34 540i i was wondering..................

has anybody fitted an e31 840i 5hp30 in place of  an e34 5hp30.

I have had pictures of the 8 series box sent to me and it looks identical mounting wise but im worried that it will throw up a trans program messge due to pressure differences or something of the sort as the gearbox ecu may be different on an e32/e34 to an e31. 

Looking really for someone who has done the swap :)

Thanks Again

Steve

Edited by steve1986

Thanks, 

Funnily enough I did see this today and from looking at the parts diagrams i think the housing is possibly different, annoyingly i can only get my hands on a e31 or an early e38, i dont know if its worth getting the e38 low mileage one and giving it a go (its only £120 compared to £280 for the e31 box) then again the oil coolr is in a different place, but i wonder if i can bolt mine to it.

This Gearbox is causing me a nightmare lol, i can only find one unit that is out of an e34 540i it has 165k on it and is at £375 with no torque converter i think  is really expensive considering my box was only on 123k and that's failed :( 

Thanks again

You cant bolt your oil cooler on. Check out this thread:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1072344-E38-Transmission-to-E32-740IL

I imagine you could get hold of an E38 oil cooler but I don't know if it will even fit in your E32. You would also need the TCM and loom and some time to check on any wiring differences. You could consider using the E38 internals in your E32 case but use your E32 valve body. Of course, your E32 valve body needs to be OK. What is actually wrong with the box which is in the car now? 

Hi Whiskychaser,

I think the check ball in the valve body has sucked through its retaining plate for reverse,

The box has been whining and leaking from torque converter seal since ive had it, have to keep topping up,

Not really sure if its worth repairing valve body as the box sounds like its in a state anyway.

I was wondering if my oil cooler and torque converter could be bolted to the E38 zf5hp30 instead of fitting the e38 oil cooler to the front of mine (i think its part of the e38's rad).

Thanks Again for replying.

Steve

Hi Steve

The E38 has a forward mounted oil cooler and tappings on the side of the box to accept the hard lines like this:

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E38/Europe/740i-M60/R-A/oct1993/browse/radiator/transmission_oil_cooling/

I have not got them side by side but imagine you would have to come up with a cunning plan to blank off the E38's in/out ports and make new ones to take your oil cooler. I wouldn't attempt it. I think you may be OK with an E31 depending on the year though. Early ones appear to have the same set up as your E32 (unless you are in a hot climate :smile: ). You would have to double check

As you probably know, the issue with some boxes isn't the check ball itself but the pressure regulator. You can get pressure spikes which blow the check ball through the hole and even damage the reverse clutch housing. Sounds like you also have issues with the input shaft bearings so I can see why you want to get rid of it.

On the plus side, they do at least use the same TC and the box should physically fit. I don't know anyone who has done this because of issues with the TCM and oil cooler. If I were going to attempt it, I'd want the E31 oil cooler (or E38 oil cooler and lines), matching TCM and loom. Even then you are taking a double punt because it is still a used gearbox you are fitting.    

Edited by whiskychaser

I have got an e34 540i engine with box connected to it sitting doing nothing. Never drove the vehicle myself, but the engine came out a functional car that was broken by the previous owner due to unsolved electrical gremlins related to the engine ECU. South of Cambridge, and don't need the auto bits (or any of it if you ask some people!) Need to get decent money for it though, so not a freebie I am afraid, but PM me if you want more info.

Hi bulletproofbomb,

I have pm'd you, you may well save me a trip to Leicester to buy a box i am not even sure exists yet lol, 

Thanks guys for all your help, Monday i had the worst fears for my old e32, now i am starting to see some light at the end of the transmission tunnel ;)

Sounds like you may well have a plug and play solution :-)

If you haven't done this before, please remember that the torque converter MUST come out with the gearbox when you are removing it. . So don't forget to undo the bolts that secure it to the flex plate. It is a big lump, weighs about 80kg but you do need to go gently.  

Hi Whiskychaser,

No unfortunately not done it before,

Although i know most mechanical stuff in theory as i love engineering in general....... i use my long suffering best mate who is also my technician at the Suzuki dealership i look after to do my dirty work most of the time (like fitting the box once i get it home lol), but i am usually open to a challenge and can usually do most things as long as i work out what i need to do first.

I have the Bentley Manual for the e32 and e34 in pdf (if anyone wants a copy let me know  and i will sent it) does this detail the removal, how do i get at the bolts for the torque converter to the flex plate ?. 

Thanks Again 

Whiskychaser,

I just see one of your posts on another forum from 2011 regarding part numbers 1055 000 010 and the 1055 000 029,

the box i am meant to be collecting from Leicester tomorrow is a 1055 000 029 from a 1996 540i tourer (tc looks the same as my 010 in picture shaped more like a doughnut than the later 031 e38's  flat converter)

My box is the 010 am i right in saying the 029 should be a direct swap as in the manual it says this replaced the 010.

Hopefully i might get my hand on two boxes then i my worries will be over lol.

Should i drop the pan and valve block to replace the check balls  before fitting the replacement, 

Thanks Again

Ok, I am not Whisky Chaser but I have worked in the parts business and if the manual confirms a supercession has taken place, then you are fine to put the later part number box in.

Re check balls, I would change over any parts known to fail.  Changing gearboxes is an expensive business and for the sake of a little extra expenditure, it is worth buying the insurance that replacing known failure parts brings.

If this was an 5HP18 box, I would definitely recommend replacing the gear shift valve.  Not sure whether that is a common failure on 5HP30 boxes.

Realoem confirms the 029 is exchangeable retrospectively with the 010 so you are good to go. This isn't always the case. A post 9/92 box for a 525i is literally not plug and play for a pre 9/92 - they have different plugs :-) Which I suspect is what I may have been saying in 2011 but I have slept since then :-)

The manual shift valve which Geoff mentions is common to the 5HP18 and 5HP30 - it is the same part number. So for about £15 and peace of mind it is worth replacing when the box is out. The same applies to the check balls. This is only a personal opinion but I would steer clear of metal ones. You could fit the whole valve body kit 5HP30.vbk. It isn't cheap, doesn't include a new pressure regulator and I'm not sure it is still available. (Pretty sure the 5HP18.vbk isn't). But if you can get one together with the valve body paper gasket, you could strip the valve body completely and clean it out the 20 years of gunge which may be preventing it from working properly :-)             

Thanks Guys,

I am waiting for bulletproof bomb to come back to me atm,

I think i will still go to leicester and get this one and then get bulletproofbomb's one next week if he wants to sell it,

That way i have a back up,

I run a workshop at a main dealer so we have acces to a ramp so not an issue to change a few times if required (just need to ask my mate niceley lol).

Oh i wasnt complaining about him not replying.................... in fact quite the opposite as i really i appreciate all the help you guys are giving me, i really was stuck earlier in the week but starting to calm down a bit now lol.

Thanks Again

Go to Jason at All German Parts, he can buy parts from ZF direct, we can't.

His number is 01132775245.

Having seen Whiskychaser's comments, I would, as a minimum change the gear selector valve.  The original plastic ones wear and lock up your gear shift when they fail.  The replacement metal ones will last forever and are cheap. 

Steve, given you are a lucky man and have access to a ramp and technical help, I would go the whole way and get the valve body redone using the kit WC mentions.

Should be great when all done.