Rich_D

BMW E90 330d M Sport

I've previously owned two E46 330d's and they were great cars, but I've just pulled the trigger on an E90 model. thumbsup.gif

I've still got the M5 and I will be keeping it for a while longer, but the plan is to sell it later this year and this car just happened to come along, I wasn't specifically looking for one, but it was too good to pass up.

The details are:

• BMW E90 330d M Sport saloon
  • LeMans Blue metallic
  • 56 Reg (December 2006)
  • 6 speed Steptronic auto
  • Black Dakota leather sports seats
  • M Sports Package (bumpers, suspension, MV3's, exhaust, etc)
  • Comfort package (cruise, climate, auto lights & wipers, PDC, etc)
  • Lights package (door handles, puddle lights, map lights, etc)
  • BMW Professional audio with bluetooth handsfree & aux input
  • 6 disc CD changer in the boot (MP3)
  • Recently serviced inc new brakes
  • Gearbox oil & filter was replaced last year
  • Both thermostats replaced last year
  • Remapped to 291bhp & 602Nm (444lb/ft) ph34r.png

I bought it off a friend of mine, he's had it a couple of years now, but due to a growing family he's upgrading to a 535d, so we agreed a deal tonight which worked out well for both of us and I'll be picking it up next weekend.

It goes very well indeed, it's slightly up on what a standard 335d has for both power & torque, but weighs slightly less and has more of a thump due to the single turbo. Certainly feels quick, more instant grunt than my M5, but doesn't have the glorious soundtrack or revs to come close to the same level of enjoyment, it will be a lot better on fuel though LOL.

Anyway, less talk and onto the pics >>>

Img_1969_zpsbr9hwckn.jpg

Img_1970_zpsqq4yfhc6.jpg

BMW_E90_330d_Interior_02_zpsunbb6eke.jpg

Not the best photos, but you get the idea, I'll get some better ones after I've picked it up and given it a good clean & polish.

It's a nice tidy example, not immaculate, but I'm quite picky TBH and it won't take much work to get it there, wheels need a refurb, couple of body marks sorting, etc, nothing major, but I know the history of the car, so I'm not buying a lemon. It does need some things doing straight away though, like rear tyres which are goosed (because uber torque) and the MAF is suspect too so will just get it replaced.

Not sure how long I'll keep it, but I've got a few ideas on mods/tweaks over the coming weeks & months, so will keep this thread updated...

Edited by Rich_D

Recently sold my Red touring 330d M sport. Great car but very harsh ride especially with runflats

Recently sold my Red touring 330d M sport. Great car but very harsh ride especially with runflats

No runflats on this thankfully, the previous owner was running Goodyear Eagle F1's so the ride is ok :)

Edited by Rich_D

For now yes, going to use the 330d as the daily driver and use the M5 occasionally, just need to sort insurance

How is it mapped that high with the older engine?

It's not that high?

Celtic Tuning offer a 300bhp map, even more if you start modding/upgrading, mine is just a remap & DPF removal

I looked into this a while back and a lot of people said 50bhp increase was the max safe raise is all

I looked into this a while back and a lot of people said 50bhp increase was the max safe raise is all

With a DPF, you can go a little higher with it gutted/removed, mine is 60bhp over the standard 231bhp, so not a massive increase

Edited by Rich_D

For information, it was remapped by these guys >>> http://www.more-bhp.com/3-series/bmw-e90e91e92-330d-231-ecu-remap.html

Just speaking to the previous owner about it, he also had the EGR delete & DPF removed, so slightly up on the quoted power increase, although their torque claims seem a lot higher than I've allegedly got.

Would like to get it on the rollers to see for myself...

Turns out he had the RR graphs, so he emailed them this afternoon...

It was 223bhp & 482Nm standard, so slightly below book figures and 291bhp & 602Nm after remapping, lovely smooth graph too.

IMG_0824_zpsifvs9fis.jpg

The ZF auto box is rated to 600Nm so it was mapped with that in mind.

Really can't wait to get it now! :D

Edited by Rich_D

Picked the 330d up tonight and it's now parked on the drive behind the M5, nice gentle drive back with the wife following, averaged 53mpg, considerably more than I've been used to LOL

53mpg from a 330d?!? Mine never came close and that was manual. 

I do have a heavy right foot though

Had it less than 24 hours, already bought some more wheels LOL :D

BMW320sirear_zps0bvpzatx.jpg

(not my car)

Style 216 Motorsport alloys, made by BBS, they are OEM fitment on the limited edition 320Si WTCC cars.

Not really a massive fan of the original MV3 alloys, these are much nicer IMO and still BMW OEM wheels. B)

Been a while since I updated this, a few minor changes such as gloss black grills a couple of weeks ago and I fitted an M3 steering wheel today.

Rich-D_E90_330d_Black_Grills_04_zpsqpvhc

BMW_E90_M3_Steering_Wheel_01_zps7a3lxmmz

BMW_E90_M3_Steering_Wheel_02_zpsqbgrse0a

BMW_E90_M3_Steering_Wheel_03_zps7j4pmunr

Not massively different to the M Sport one, it's marginally thicker, but is made from much better (Novillo) leather, it has the tri-colour ///M stitching and doesn't have the perforated sections. Feels much nicer in the hand, it's more supple and looks nicer IMO, my M Sport one also had a small amount of wear.

I've also got some H&R springs, which I've not fitted yet, might replace the shocks too as the rears feel a bit tired, keep thinking about hubcentric spacers too, especially for the rear, so the wheels fill the arches better.

Still miss the M5 and this will never replace it, but it's not bad for a diesel.  B) 

Another minor update today, fitted a later style auto gear shifter, these were standard from 2008 on IIRC.

From this >>>

Img_5097_zpsthjzqgck.jpg

To this >>>

Img_5104_zpsbxbptxyy.jpg

Side-by-side comparison >>>

Img_5098_zpsuaehnpir.jpg

Img_5102_zpshotwrhmn.jpg

Only a subtle change, but looks better IMO and feels nicer in the hand.

Well, despite all my recent mods & upgrades I've been considering swapping it for something petrol again recently, still missing the E39 M5 and as good as the 330d is, the lack of revs & noise is something I want back.

So I'm getting a Golf R  :mrgreen:

As a result, the 330d will be up for sale shortly, either 'as is' with the alloys, etc, or for a lower price as a standard car.

Edited by Rich_D