Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Cursed the under body plastics and how they hide the brake pipes from the MOT inspection, and thanked my lucky stars that this gave up the ghost outside my house and not on the planned journey to Essex.

IMG_5134.thumb.JPG.dead8831d6a8f443fdf7d1bc6b151443.JPG

Ho hum...

Yuk, where on the E61 is that, rear lines above the axle?
Did you loose full braking or is there some redundancy built into the fluid circuits, split front/rear?

What caused those brake lines to corrode like that?  While you're under there, inspect your ground straps as well.  

Edited by MR E9

21 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Yuk, where on the E61 is that, rear lines above the axle?
Did you loose full braking or is there some redundancy built into the fluid circuits, split front/rear?

The pipes are along the left hand sill at the very back of the rear passenger foot well / just in front of the left side fuel tank, about a foot behind the factory joins.

On Thursday morning when it happened there was still some braking effect, by the time I came to move it the next day there was no braking at all, I suspect that there is some redundancy until the fluid level falls and allows air into the master cylinder.

Even moving the car just a few yards with a cold engine  and auto box was difficult the hand brake could barely overcome the cars' desire to move forward.

I don't remember seeing this in any of the 'looking to buy a E6X what to watch out for ?'  threads but it should be.

19 hours ago, Ollie Campbell said:

Ouch. This is on my ever growing to do list...not looking forward to it.

Are you going to make your own or buy them from somewhere?

I think that there is sufficient good pipe along the side of the fuel tank to splice in male unions though doing the flare on the old steel pipe was difficult due to limited space. I have made both the steel flares and one of the replacement runs but managed to strip the threads in my brake pipe tool, hopefully the new tool will be here this morning and I can do the other line.

I will update after bleeding the brakes either this evening of tomorrow.

IMG_5135.thumb.JPG.bf13a386f49d6f28e085d27c2608093b.JPG

Odd how it looks too short in the picture, it fits the car and picks up on all the stock clips because I trial fitted before cutting to length and making the last flare.

Good work, but why not just make them in copper? 
Another potential scary issue to check - Hopefully you got a low fluid warning??

11 hours ago, v8shinprint said:

Another potential scary issue to check - Hopefully you got a low fluid warning??

Kunifer might be more difficult to flare than copper but I think it looks nicer and I am probably the only one that will see them until it makes it's final journey to the great car park in the sky. :)

Anyhow, I made the second like this morning and spent the afternoon pressure bleeding the system which showed up a slight seepage at a couple of the Kunifer flares but non at the steel flares. A test drive with some hard braking showed up one more seeping flare which was nipped up, test drive repeated and all is good.

Tomorrow I need to do oil and filter which are well overdue time wise if not yet due on the condition based iDrive display. I also need to get a new nipple and cap for one of the front callipers as it has lost its cap and has corroded internally, it could be bled under pressure by turning it almost all the way out which would have been impossible if I was suction bleeding.

Refitting the panels I replaced a lot of corroded and some missing 9mm head screws, on Saturday I discovered that the lower edge of my rear bumper is held on with cable ties, new C clips have been ordered hopefully I'll get the alignment a bit better, the lower edge is currently about 10mm too far out.

18 hours ago, v8shinprint said:

If you look at a mill test report for copper, it is not pressure rated for hydraulic brakes.  It is easier, but not safe and not D O T approved. 

3 stage compound and I had a go with Sonax CC36 ceramic coating this week. Basecoat needs 1 hour to cure and once the gloss coat is on it's ready to get wet. Ideal for a ceramic job with no shelter.

ABMG82Nh.jpg

lg8F7sGh.jpg

kAbpGrJh.jpg

WFFuRLph.jpg

9 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Nice to see your finally getting to spend some time on your own motor :)

It about killed me, trying to do this between other jobs and having to do it for a trip to Oxford Saturday as I didn't want to drive it with nothing on the paint...

Minor up date on my brake lines, I have done about five hundred miles over the last week and my new nipple and dust cap had been delivered. So I set about changing the nipple and re bleeding the brakes as I think there was still a bit of air in the ABS, as the car was up in the air I pulled the plastic panel that hide my repair and it was as dry as a very dry thing so all is good there.

Today I set about finding out why both my remote fobs were not working, the car came with a stack of history including repair to the cables in the hatch hinge so I was fearing a wet or corroded diversity antenna. Turns out the +12V to the antenna was missing, fuse was good so I pulled out the cables from the hinge, for a professional repair I was not impressed. The red and white cable had +12V at the first heat shrinked solder joint  but not at the second one yes the replacement cable had broke, ho hum relatively easy fix and both my remote fobs now work at about 10M which is better than they have in the last two and a half years I have owned the car.

Easy cheep fix, not the replacement diversity antenna I had feared, plus I spend the day in the sun tinkering with the car.

new here. recently purchased a 2007 automatic bmw e61. love the car!! had some work done on there full servcie pulley and belt and pads and disck all around. changed the number plate lights yesterday made a big difference! want to change the car add some m sport bumpers front and back what are peoples thoughts? i want to maybe get some new wheels too. 663263980_bmwback.jpg.a01f3c9a875b230aae890dce10b43274.jpg

bmw side.jpg