Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

37 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Com'on then how much for the M sport sill trims, mine are minging & I've decided not worth trying to re-furb due to the rubber edging breaking up.

Going on the 535d e61 on the Farcebook group asking 15k :shock: what you gonna want for yours ?

It's not for sale, unlike that bellend who thinks spending 10k on a car puts the value up by 10k I am realistic. 

I got 2 sill plates FOC after being messed about with the wheels, I think a set cost £220

Edited by GoNz0

1 hour ago, GoNz0 said:

It's not for sale, unlike that bellend who thinks spending 10k on a car puts the value up by 10k I am realistic. 

I got 2 sill plates FOC after being messed about with the wheels, I think a set cost £220

Where did you get the sill plates from please? I think mine are almost ready to replace the rubber on all has started to break away just waiting for some more damage before biting the bullet for a set!

5 hours ago, Numero9 said:

Where did you get the sill plates from please? I think mine are almost ready to replace the rubber on all has started to break away just waiting for some more damage before biting the bullet for a set!

Mine are breaking too…and kids are not helping either. I taught my daughter when se was 3 yrs old not to step on them (a year ago) and she obeys…but the boy, 2 yrs old is frikkin destroying the car to get in and out :unsure:

i think i am better off selling it and a getting a Peugeot 807 with sliding doors :o:D

Main dealers m8

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Its so interesting Gonzo what you write, there are some crazy prices being asked out there, however taking a look as you do through autotrader i couldnt help notice a few realistically priced motors out there.  This one stood out especially for the miles: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107235354633?make=BMW&model=5 SERIES&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=500&postcode=iv38ag&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&radius=1500&aggregatedTrim=535d&page=1

I had a look on the mot history and its questionable to how well its been looked after due to the failures listed, however at the money its a nice motor to have as a start assuming you would need to spend a fair amount sorting it out.

Anyway im digressing its getting back into real terms the money being asked i think.

Edited by mpgscott

It may be low miles but the issue with that is most of the suspension will be original and put that car into proper daily use and it will cost a small fortune to replace everything when you start to pick up on the gremlins. I have on my drive a 2005 535d, it was booked in for prop CV replacement as it shit it's grease, trouble is I then picked up on a failing drive shaft by moving it 150 yards from the drive I borrow to my yard. After putting it in the air I crawled under and saw the state of the DPF delete pipe, 40 odd holes in the welds. We already knew front arms were due, box was on 750mb clutch E and I was due to do a major service on that to see if it would help. I drive dying (CIC to go in)

It arrived into his ownership with no low boost and after replacing the vac system and testing correct operation then drawing a blank I asked what history it had, new turbo's was the reply.

Well someone forgot to refit the control valve spacer so I did that and got boost back, god knows what else has been bodged.

Interiors worn, window tint coming off, major paintwork defects and a few dings.

I gave him the call yesterday and offered to take his money and do the planned work but refused to take it to my MOT bloke with the exhaust (and damaged tyre) then said this is your chance to bail out before I start as shit has gotten even more real and I don't think it's worth saving.

It cost £1750 3 years ago, he has spent £500 on it and has a lot of work needed. I said he would spend £2k, the car would then be worth 2k and even if he had it plastidipped at £800 it would only be worth 3k max...

So if anyone wants to buy a 535d breaker he finally saw sense :huh:

Flippen heck Gonzo that's some list of issues.  Like you say the low miles is always not a good thing, at least with high miles it isnt sitting around letting all the rubber in the suspension perishing.  That car i saw had a few mot references that highlight exactly what you said the components being on their last legs.

I would hate to think what i have spent on mine, and i know realistically i will never get the investment back.  Im not fussed thats not the point same as you we put the money in to get a nice running motor.

So that lad is going to break his really, what sort of price for the turbos are they decent ones?

7 hours ago, mpgscott said:

Flippen heck Gonzo that's some list of issues.  Like you say the low miles is always not a good thing, at least with high miles it isnt sitting around letting all the rubber in the suspension perishing.  That car i saw had a few mot references that highlight exactly what you said the components being on their last legs.

I would hate to think what i have spent on mine, and i know realistically i will never get the investment back.  Im not fussed thats not the point same as you we put the money in to get a nice running motor.

So that lad is going to break his really, what sort of price for the turbos are they decent ones?

I think he is shifting the car as he doesn't have room afaik.

18 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

It may be low miles but the issue with that is most of the suspension will be original and put that car into proper daily use and it will cost a small fortune to replace everything when you start to pick up on the gremlins. I have on my drive a 2005 535d, it was booked in for prop CV replacement as it shit it's grease, trouble is I then picked up on a failing drive shaft by moving it 150 yards from the drive I borrow to my yard. After putting it in the air I crawled under and saw the state of the DPF delete pipe, 40 odd holes in the welds. We already knew front arms were due, box was on 750mb clutch E and I was due to do a major service on that to see if it would help. I drive dying (CIC to go in)

It arrived into his ownership with no low boost and after replacing the vac system and testing correct operation then drawing a blank I asked what history it had, new turbo's was the reply.

Well someone forgot to refit the control valve spacer so I did that and got boost back, god knows what else has been bodged.

Interiors worn, window tint coming off, major paintwork defects and a few dings.

I gave him the call yesterday and offered to take his money and do the planned work but refused to take it to my MOT bloke with the exhaust (and damaged tyre) then said this is your chance to bail out before I start as shit has gotten even more real and I don't think it's worth saving.

It cost £1750 3 years ago, he has spent £500 on it and has a lot of work needed. I said he would spend £2k, the car would then be worth 2k and even if he had it plastidipped at £800 it would only be worth 3k max...

So if anyone wants to buy a 535d breaker he finally saw sense :huh:

What colour is it? If it could miss a front towing eye cover and towing eye that would be useful :D:D

Set about giving the car a service, discs & pads on the front to try cure some horrendous judder.

Plugged in and there were some oranges, cleared all the fault codes and only the fogging sensor and ACU came on which is good.

Service was fairly standard:

Fuel filter - this was interesting on axle stands and jacks.

Drain oil - drained out easy enough, car was raised at the front to hopefully got most of the old stuff out. Nice black gold.

New sump plug and washer too.

New oil

Oil filter

Air filter

2x cabin filters - pretty sure one of these was still OEM as it was housed in a black plastic inside the cover, yuck!

Reset service indicator although I like to change oil every 10k so will do that on my own schedule.

Has anybody noticed the car struggle to start after doing service? Perhaps combo of new filters but it seems to do it even after it had ran a while, will check again this morning but a bit worried it either knocked something or maybe fuel filter not fitted securely, although I ran it to make sure there were no leaks and it was okay.

Then spent good time cleaning out the scuttle area and removing as much debris as possible.

Discs and pads were easy to do although I struggled to remove the caliper carriages. Didn't have enough space to really push on the rachet. 'Barry the Breaker' only had an inch off the floor even with a 12star socket so did my best with wire brush and drill wire brush attachment.

Pistons pushed back really smoothly although it's dual piston so when I first did it one would push in and the other pop out! Had to use some wood across them both but they went back enough.

New pads fitted were a bit fiddly the metal tangs needed squeezing in before they would even engage in the hole.

Discs fit easy enough even with the carriage, OEM 2 piece and still heavy AF!

Good news is that there is no more judder although I'm going super easy on the brakes and the ride vibration seems to be better to. There is still some but I think bushes all round soon will help that.

Need to order 2x caps for the guide pins as they were missing on the offside & some under tray fixings, again some seem to be missing.

IMG-20210814-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.27edb87e0bcd1bd21597b09a88548acb.jpeg20210814_191501.thumb.jpg.add3001ab190c6bceb454f4cb15e2649.jpg20210814_113840.thumb.jpg.52cd77e60be0118ab2ab4a57612fc980.jpg20210814_135146.thumb.jpg.4a6a48b476518364413e4de174a80dd9.jpg

20 hours ago, Numero9 said:

What colour is it? If it could miss a front towing eye cover and towing eye that would be useful :D:D

Carbon black

On 8/15/2021 at 4:59 AM, Numero9 said:

Set about giving the car a service, discs & pads on the front to try cure some horrendous judder.

Plugged in and there were some oranges, cleared all the fault codes and only the fogging sensor and ACU came on which is good.

Service was fairly standard:

Fuel filter - this was interesting on axle stands and jacks.

Drain oil - drained out easy enough, car was raised at the front to hopefully got most of the old stuff out. Nice black gold.

New sump plug and washer too.

New oil

Oil filter

Air filter

2x cabin filters - pretty sure one of these was still OEM as it was housed in a black plastic inside the cover, yuck!

Reset service indicator although I like to change oil every 10k so will do that on my own schedule.

Has anybody noticed the car struggle to start after doing service? Perhaps combo of new filters but it seems to do it even after it had ran a while, will check again this morning but a bit worried it either knocked something or maybe fuel filter not fitted securely, although I ran it to make sure there were no leaks and it was okay.

IMG-20210814-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.27edb87e0bcd1bd21597b09a88548acb.jpeg20210814_191501.thumb.jpg.add3001ab190c6bceb454f4cb15e2649.jpgYes

It's your fuel filter change,

Mine did this when I did mine & worried me for a few starts.

After about four starts & a good run all the air was purged from the filter & all was well.

GoNzO was the very helpful soul that told me it's quite normal.

100 mile round trip to try out Hunter road force balancing, and they're on!

SagRixml.jpg

lKZZ6Lll.jpg

Clever bit of kit, the rear right didn't need any weights after the machine said to rotate the tyre...

2 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

100 mile round trip to try out Hunter road force balancing, and they're on!

SagRixml.jpg

lKZZ6Lll.jpg

Clever bit of kit, the rear right didn't need any weights after the machine said to rotate the tyre...

Gorgeous mate!!! 
michelin tires!! The best or nothing 

Nothing really too exciting here....changed the vacuum pump seals and now the car is nicer to drive. Almost as if the engine doesn't lose revs quite as quickly in between gear shifts. It's probably just the placebo effect!

17 minutes ago, Vinnny said:

Replaced one of the parking sensors in the front, no warnings again! haha 

Yeah, I have a front parking sensor that randomly decides it's going to throw a wobbler every now and then.  I bought a replacement ages ago which I'm yet to paint and fit but the faulty one seems to start working again as soon as I threaten to get the rattle cans out.

8 minutes ago, Haych said:

Yeah, I have a front parking sensor that randomly decides it's going to throw a wobbler every now and then.  I bought a replacement ages ago which I'm yet to paint and fit but the faulty one seems to start working again as soon as I threaten to get the rattle cans out.

Haha that sounds about out.

Mine all gone all together, stopped rest of the parking sensors from working. I got luckily, found a color coded one on ebay for £20, swapped it and can't tell any difference look wise. 

Just now, Vinnny said:

Haha that sounds about out.

Mine all gone all together, stopped rest of the parking sensors from working. I got luckily, found a color coded one on ebay for £20, swapped it and can't tell any difference look wise. 

I got a new one from AutoDoc for about £15.  It's not painted so it's a little bit more work than plug-n-play.  I had a rear sensor pack up a few years ago and did the same thing, £15 from AutoDoc, a bit of titan silver paint and clear lacquer, popped it in and it's still working now.

I'll get round to doing the front sensor at some point but it's working now more often that it doesn't.  

What did I do today, well I caught the handbrake and clicked it up a couple of clicks without realising, as I never use it the switch must have been stuck as it gave no warning bongs.

Spotted smoke on the bypass, shit myself then figured it out...

Time to whip the discs off and see if they are savable. 

2 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

What did I do today, well I caught the handbrake and clicked it up a couple of clicks without realising, as I never use it the switch must have been stuck as it gave no warning bongs.

Spotted smoke on the bypass, shit myself then figured it out...

Time to whip the discs off and see if they are savable. 

How many clicks till your handbrake engages? Mine is quite high so I need to adjust it again to try get it better. Eventually need to remove the rear discs and check all the setup

Just changed the dipped bulbs on my LCI to 6000k LED bulbs (1 was blown) Super happy with them so far, will see them tonight and get a picture. Might have to rotate them, didn't know had to be put in lever.

5 hours ago, Numero9 said:

How many clicks till your handbrake engages? Mine is quite high so I need to adjust it again to try get it better. Eventually need to remove the rear discs and check all the setup

3 but 2 cicks is the start, it was enough to rub and at 80 for a couple of miles, well the rest is history. Shoes are fucked, they crumbled when I poked them...

Mine were set by the book, lock off and back 8 clicks with the lever in maintenance mode.